HD500 Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Bad Back, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Bad Back

Bad Back Member

Good day,

A friend just dropped of a used HD500 to fart around with with no instruction manual. (I’m sure I can download one from their web site and I'll look later today.)

Question: If I want to just hook it up to the front of one of my basement amps and try some of the effects, can I bypass all the amp models and just use my amp for basic tone? If so, can you please provide a heads up on how you do that (if it’s not too much of a pain).

TIA

BB

2. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

go to an empty patch. Don't add ANY amps. Simply set the mixer level to about +6db and start adding FX and mess around with the order.

This is a WHOLE lot easier with the software on your computer. It's free to download.

3. Mikey3

Mikey3 Member

I have also found best results with the pan at 0 for both channels, and I also set the output to combo power amp and adjusted the input impedance to 230k . This seems to get me the most transparent sound so far. Not really a difference when I flip back and forth with my bypass looper between straight into the amp and through the hd500 into the amp. the switches near the expression pedal should also be set to amp and guitar. good luck

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  4. marshall2288

marshall2288 Member

I agree with Mikey. Pan everything at 0. I understand that dual amps are supposed to cool but i hate how its an automatic feature with every patch to set L and R 100% each way.

5. bigtone82

bigtone82 Member

do you guy suggest the pan idea if you're direct too?

6. tochiro

tochiro Member

What is the reason behind this? Should the mixer be set to that value all the time? Thank you.

7. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Member

I've personally disagreed when I've seen this posted, so I've also ignore the reasoning behind it. I'm now interested, but don't see a valid reason now that I'm looking for it and simply fail to figure out (or hear) the logic. I set mine to 0 and the master level knob to about 1:00. That is unity level (and tone, and noise floor, and headroom) in my setup with the HD500 in my effects loop. Pushing it up any, especially +6 db, is unnecessary- unless I'm missing something.

8. meambobbo

meambobbo Member

Proper gain staging certainly doesn't dictate a fixed level. You want each stage to have as much volume as possible but not so much that it introduces ANY distortion into the next piece of your chain. Then at the very end of your signal you turn down the volume to get the desired level. This guarantees the best signal-to-noise ratio and least unwanted distortion.

The big quirk here is that the digital volume controls inside the Pod's digital signal chain are not analog attenuators or amplifiers. The Master Knob on the unit is. You want this at max or near max.

Keep in mind that the Pod has some quirks with signal levels. the amp/channel volume knob adjusts the output level (without affecting amp tone) at the spot where the amp block is located in the signal chain. same for the mixer level controls. You can clip the Pod's digital signal if you boost too much in either of these (as well as effects that let you boost the volume). But even if you don't clip the overall signal level, you can clip certain effects in the chain that are sensitive to input levels, namely the Parametric EQ. see here: http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/setup#clipping

So for a single amp, mono tone, I would put all my effects and amp block in channel A. Mute channel B in the mixer. Set input 1 in the Pod to Guitar, not Guitar + Mic + Aux - the more unused inputs you are sending into your signal chain, the more noise you have at the front end, and the more watered down and noisy your tone will be. Set Input 2 to None, although it shouldn't matter if you don't put any effects in front of the channel/path split.

Set the volume on every effect and amp block as high as possible so long as it didn't clip the next one in the chain, set the mixer level as high as possible, and max out the Master knob. To control your final volume, use your real amp's Master volume control. If this is too loud even at the lowest setting for your real amp, then I'd back off the mixer level.

9. dannopelli

dannopelli Member

YES!

One entire setilist on my HD 500 is set up like a pedal board. Do what the first two posts say if this is how you are going to first try it.