HD500 Out Put Volume

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by MikeNiteRail, Feb 15, 2012.

1. MikeNiteRail

MikeNiteRail Member

Just making sure I get this right....

Drive controls the gain, which effects the output volume.

The Channel volume increases or decreases volume, but doesn't necessarily impact tone.

The Master really acts like the power tubes, which also impacts volume, but really can impact tone.

The Master KNOB - which is only an actual dial on the POD is the overall output volume leaving the unit for all patches.

So if I want to make sure I have a solid signal, wouldn't I want to dime the channel volume and then use the drive and master to determine my tone/volume? If it ends up being too loud or not loud enough, I would then use the mixer.

I was diming the master and then using the drive and volume to control the tone and final volume - like on a typical amp. If I wanted a cleaner sound, I should actually dime the channel volume first...

Live, if I need to change volumes of a patch, I should use the mixer or the channel volume knob...if I use the master knob, that would change the output volume of EVERYTHING and not just the patch. Whew...lots to think about!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  2. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

If you put any FX after the mixer, diming the channel volume could be problematic. I go between +6 and +9, though and have had no problems.

3. texasdave

texasdave Member

Feeding several FOH systems, I've never needed the master KNOB anywhere close to dimed, at least out of a 1/4" mono. Usually leave that around 1 o'clock and gets plenty to the board.

I know you weren't talking about diming that, but you've got ample room there to get patches balanced to each other and not have to sweat a solid output signal to the unit.

4. MikeNiteRail

MikeNiteRail Member

Thanks guys! I've put many hours into this thing and gave myself over a month before using it live...I am hoping to give it a go next weekend, but have my old board handy just in case!

I've been running it into a Boomerang III and that right to my QSC K10 monitor. I have it set up to run stereo to a mixing board, but have had a hard time conceptualizing "unity" in regards to using the K10 like an amp or giving the board a solid level.

As it stands, I have only been messing with one scene of one set list - so four patches. One is for vocals, one for harmonica, one for bass singing, and one for beatboxing. With that setup as it stands, the only real amp patch is the harmonica one. That being said, I've done it all wrong with the channel volume and master. Not hard to correct, though!

5. MikeNiteRail

MikeNiteRail Member

6. DRS

DRS Member

And as a default position, I would not have any FX after the mixer except a noise gate.

7. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

doesn't the owners guide state that the master KNOB should be dimed for best signal to noise ratio?
    i tend to set my mixer levels panned center and at 0dB to +9dB depending on the amp in question. also, i often use delays, choruses and or reverbs after the mixer but haven't experienced any distortion of the signal (such as i've read others having).
    it's also important to be certain you have the output set correctly as to studio-direct or stack-pwr amp or combo, etc. this will drastically affect your tone as will the line/amp switch on the pod itself.
    there seem to be a load of ways people can screw themselves up with level setting on this unit and it can take some experimentation to get it all sorted out and working together.
    HTH

8. Pietro

Great point... that is kinda common sense when you think about it. Yes, any piece of gear like this is going to sound best at the maximum volume that doesn't introduce distortion into the receiving device.

That said, I turn it to about 80%, then crank it a little during services because our sound guys set the volume too low and just think it sounds better during services (It doesn't, it's just louder...). Shhhh... don't tell...

9. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

lol. Pietro: i've been known to do the EXACT same thing. don't worry, our little secret!

10. MikeNiteRail

MikeNiteRail Member

Lol....tried it out today and felt better about the results. The room I am in sucks to really try and lock things in. I am not very confident that I'll have a tone that translates well to live use. It sounds fantastic at home, but I am in a small room with low ceilings, etc.

I sorta tried by headphones, but that sucks...Sennheiser HD380's. I use a K10 for my monitor, and have used that to tweak so far.

11. astaroth

astaroth Member

I have my outputs from the XLR out into balanced TRS input on my com, but the output is really soft, I have to put my master knob to max. Any idea how to improve the situation? I have effects after the mixer so I think cranking the mixer volume isnt the ideal solution? I have set output to direct.

12. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

use the 1/4" jacks, not the XLR if you need higher signal at the board. XLR ourput is mic level and known to be much lower signal than the 1/4" output.
    Mike: if you are using the K10 as your monitor live, then you might benefit from just dialing in your patches at stage volume, while at home. then tweak as needed in your space when playing out. may take a little trial and error but you need to be playing loud to get an accurately dialed in patch, IME.

13. Pietro

putting the master knob to max is just fine.

btw, the XLR outs are not mike level actually (especially if you're setting your mixer levels higher than 0db), but they seem to be a real low line level.

I also get best results going 1/4" out to a DI box.

14. dannopelli

dannopelli Member

Do most folks do this? New one to me.

15. DRS

DRS Member

As a starting point. Obviously experiment. But I find most FX sound better before the mixer.

16. Pietro

I put FX after the mixer all the time. Works great if you're careful.

17. MikeNiteRail

MikeNiteRail Member

This morning I went and redid my patches for unity gain on the K10 and the Master Knob dimed. I had to put the mixer of my patches back at 0db and then adjust some eq to limit feedback.

I then A/B'ed my Bassman patch against my real life HarpGear H2, which is a boutique Champ clone. In my room, it sounds fantastic. I am walking a very fine line with the drive and lower-mids/bass feedback, but I don't think in a club that would ever be an issue (my room is a feedback nightmare).

The trickiest part is getting the bass patch where I want it in tone and the mix. It seems to be the pickiest as increasing volume can make it really farty...that's ok though, as I don't think it was designed to sing bass lines into the octaver, lol.

I am a bit intimidated by the eq's, but have added one to my beatboxing patch with a little compression. I compressed the bass patch a great deal to make sure breathing noise, etc, wasn't getting picked up. I haven't had to eq it much to make it work beyond effect parameters.

I think I'd like a little compression on the Bassman patch (not sure where to start) as I used to use an Opto Stomp live and dug that. I also think finding an eq to help fight feedback will be a priority. For now, though, it just needs to sound better than my old rig.