HD500 owners... GIBTONE is amazing

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by JB Eckl, May 21, 2015.

1. JB Eckl

JB Eckl Member

I know this has been mentioned recently, but if you want a fresh perspective on your POD HD500/500x, definitely fire up the Gibtone model with its own cab sim, and TRY IT WITH THE RIBBON 121 - feel free to crank the map's treble and presence settings because that ribbon has a huge high end roll-off (as it should).

There is a preset in the 'Best of HD' setlist called 'Roomy' that gets close -- IF you take the early reflections out (which gives the preset its name). I almost missed out on the goodies because of the crazy reflections, but when I listened to it dry - WOW. I got stuck playing my 335 for an hour.

Just thought you should know!

2. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

Agreed. I have found this to be a great sounding amp in the POD HD.

For me and maybe a lot of people, getting the best from the modelers has been about finding the right speaker/cabinet that sounds good (to me). I have had excellent luck getting really good tones from DT25 and a semi-open back 1x12 guitar cab with EVM-12L speaker but have moved from that to an also very good Stagesource L3T. Once the output device has been found that works, most of the Line 6 amps really sound quite good, IMHO. I have had some struggles with higher gain tones with the L3T that I didn't have with the EVM-12L speaker, but I think it's merely learning to adjust the top end in the PA cab vs. the already rolled off top in the EV speaker.

3. i8guitar

i8guitar yelling at clouds from outer space Silver Supporting Member

Yeah this is a good sounding amp model I haven't really tried in almost 4 years of HD ownership. I turned the early reflections and the cab resonance all the way to 0%, then put the amp in its own chain (muting chain B). Sounds great with my Tele!

4. habanaerosmith

habanaerosmith Member

I love that model. And IIRC, I think I'm running it through the matching cab as well. I can get a very Dumbly overdrive tone, especially with the screamer in front.

The key, IMHO, to the HD500 is to try not to pay attention to the names of the models, or the cabinets or mics, and just listen for what sounds good. It's harder than it sounds, but that's where the best tones come from, and they're often not what you would have expected to work.

5. Gtrman100

Gtrman100 Member

The Gibtone sim is my go-to blues preset, it's very organic and compresses like a real tube amp. With the Drive up, it has a very "Dumble" like quality to it, and pushed with the Tube Screamer sim, it's a great blues or fusion tone. I discovered it soon after getting my HD500 and it's one of my favorites.

6. slugworth

slugworth Supporting Member

The Gibtone model has always been my choice for archtop jazz tone.

7. Jdstrat

Jdstrat Supporting Member

Archtop jazz tone... need to try that! The Gibtone sounds great with the tele neck model of the Variax, pushed with an EHX Soulfood in the loop. It just sings, with a ton of sustain.

8. ChrisVereb

ChrisVereb Member

I was stuck on that exact preset for a long time last night! I had put a sparse backing into the looper and went to town going through the variax models on it. Sitting in a musical context it's even tastier! That preset manages to get a nice snarl without letting the bass get boomy. The reflections being used for effect is a little weird. I plan to reconfigure it to kill the ER, use the ribbon mic you suggest (or does "Roomy" already use it?), and add back in the reverb/delay so that it can be assigned to a footswitch for control.

The Gibtone sounds a bit fuzzy to me in a good way. Sounds like what I wish my superfuzz clone would clean up too, but w/o the slight octave overtones. I was using it with the rick 12 string models on the variax last night and it was great for accentuating the fuzziness. The parallel strings don't come through nearly as strong on 12 string through dirty tones. It kind of melds together better. I liked it a lot. I don't think I've got the default "Chime" bank in my variax, it's one I grabbed from the vguitar forum. The octave effect was a little to strong on the low E and A strings, but really blended beautifully otherwise.

9. Gtrman100

Gtrman100 Member

You know you can lower the level of the octave strings in Workbench. It's the Parallel Pitch parameter.

10. slugworth

slugworth Supporting Member

Not surprising. Most tele neck pickups can cop a convincing archtop tone, too. Try it clean and warm. It's really, really good that way. :)

11. marshall2288

marshall2288 Member

I enjoy this amp model with the PHD cab. Sounds killer and crisp.