HD500 tinny top end?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BlindLUCK, May 20, 2011.

1. BlindLUCK

BlindLUCK Member

Good afternoon gents...just got the HD500.

Digging some tones out of it and others not so much. My question is, Certain patches have a nice bloom on them. For instance, if you strum a D chord everything sounds warm and each note blooms quite well (I think the patch is Franzel's politician tube driver). With a little tweaking this thing sounds amazing.

Although, i find the bulk of the patches to be pretty harsh and rough around the edges...

I run my HD500 thru a bassman on the front end. Any recommendations on getting nice warm, balanced, drive and distortion tones?

2. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I think some of the tone issues are how you're running the amp system...Does the Bman have an FX loop?...If so, try plugging the HD into FX return...If not, turn your presence control off and the treble back down to 2...Mids under 5

3. BlindLUCK

BlindLUCK Member

Yeah thanks Rod...i've read most of your (and the HD500) posts. I realize my setup is not what the HD500 is made for, but it's tough not to use my Vic bassman...No fx loop in the bassman.

I have tried messing with the treble and presence on the amp, but it seems like the patches are what cause the brittle sound. I was just wondering as a noob if there are any parameters i should be tweaking, etc.

4. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Hi....Next thing to try is to use one of the normal inputs of the Victoria, not the bright ones....If I remember correctly from when i used to sell and use them there are 2 normal ins...Try each one and pick the warmest sounding of the 2...
    Next, go through your amp patches and lowering the master volume makes many of the amps are warmer with the MV lower this is the MV in the amp page, not the one that's a control physically on the HD...I'm assuming you have the latest firmware installed?.......Messing with the bias and Bias X {cursion} help as well....Turn the presence to 0 as well... I'm very sensitive to nasty high end and I have gotten some really warm tones with my HD-300