• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

HD500 Update....ever?

drock2k1

Silver Supporting Member
Just curious. The HD500 is still running pretty much the same effects (albeit very nice effects) from the M units. Is thing ever going to get some new FX? I was hopeful when the 500x released but now I'm wondering if there isn't something newer on its way and the 500 is at end of life or...

JackJordan

It has everything the M series had as well as the Verbzilla, and a few extra unique to the HD series. There are a lot there, and probably enough for most.

I would love more myself (more is always better :banana) but I don't think they are going to update it. I would have thought they would have added more amp models though.

Side question: didn't the HD300 or 400 get an update with new amp models that was never released for the 500? Or did they finally release them for the 500 and I never got the memo?

drock2k1

Silver Supporting Member
The 300 and 400 did get a couple of amp updates that made their way to the HD5000 (a soldano model comes to mind).

Don't get me wrong, I love what's inside. I just thought we would have received more especially after the 500x released.

JackJordan

The 300 and 400 did get a couple of amp updates that made their way to the HD5000 (a soldano model comes to mind).

Don't get me wrong, I love what's inside. I just thought we would have received more especially after the 500x released.
I remember when the 300 and 400 got the Soldano model, but I never updated my HD500. Sweet! I'll have to look into it and update.

chrisjnyc

It has everything the M series had as well as the Verbzilla, and a few extra unique to the HD series. There are a lot there, and probably enough for most.

I would love more myself (more is always better :banana) but I don't think they are going to update it. I would have thought they would have added more amp models though.

Side question: didn't the HD300 or 400 get an update with new amp models that was never released for the 500? Or did they finally release them for the 500 and I never got the memo?
The M series has all the same FX (including the Verbzilla verbs) as the POD 500. So yes, the POD HD500X is using the same set of FX that came out in 2009... beside a bug fix here and there, I would say that is all you would see for updates from L6.

Check out
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/1347253&highlight=chrisjnyc

Unnecessary

I'd be surprised if bug fixes ever even happen again...they don't care enough about fixing the stupid EQs, why would they bother with anything else.

JackJordan

Noise Under The Floor

A happy-go-lucky chap, always dressed in black.
Platinum Supporting Member
Didn't you get the news from NAMM? Line 6 isn't into updating. They like to "reinvent" :rolleyes:

Promit

Never count on updates to the digital units. Thank the gods when you get one. We got one with the HD500, I'm not holding out for another.

GhostMan

No. The HD500 is pretty limited in what it can do, and I think that was by design. So you get the tone chain, a poor man's Axe, but you don't get hardly any amps or cabs. If the HD500 was updated with more goodies it would be cool, but they need to fix the PC software editor, total POS.

Foss38

I'd just like to have the ability to tweak my JTV Variax through my HD500 again without needing a plethora of cables to do it :nuts

nicolasrivera

Platinum Supporting Member
Last I've heard a substancial update has been in the works for the past 3 years... and its set to be release at NAMM 2017

Chad

I'd be surprised if bug fixes ever even happen again...they don't care enough about fixing the stupid EQs, why would they bother with anything else.
I had an HD500 for a bit. There were several things that lead to me getting rid of it, but the EQ parameters not being in hz was the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen on any piece of musical gear in the 20 years I've been playing.

GreatSatan

the EQ parameters not being in hz was the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen on any piece of musical gear in the 20 years I've been playing.
i agree with this wholeheartedly, it requires 'intuitive' tuning...
which can drive you a bit nuts with very little visual indicators or information as to what aspect of the eq spectrum a certain knob will tweak.

phil_m

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Gold Supporting Member
Does the M13 have the harmonizers and whammy? Mine didn't back when I owned it (if memory serves correctly).
Yes, the only effects that the HD500 has the M13 doesn't is the Vocoder and the Vintage Pre mic preamp. If your M13 never had those, perhaps you never updated to the 2.0 update?

JackJordan

Yes, the only effects that the HD500 has the M13 doesn't is the Vocoder and the Vintage Pre mic preamp. If your M13 never had those, perhaps you never updated to the 2.0 update?
I probably just have a bad memory... I never really used those effects back then.

phil_m

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Gold Supporting Member
The M13\M9 has the vocodor (called Voice Box), I believe the Vintage Pre mic preamp is considered an amp in the POD, so it would not be in the M series.
That's not the same effect. The vocoder on the HD500 is a real vocoder using the input from the mic jack as the modulator signal. The Voice Box effect on the M13 is just a filter effect similar to what Digitech calls the "Yah-Yah".

Top Bottom