HD500x & 4cm - Amp question.

RJT

What amps have you had the best luck running the HD500(x) with, using the 4cm? (Non-Line 6 DT amp)

partytrain

I've used the 4cm with an HD500 and Fender Mustang III v2. There were a couple of fender clean amps I really liked on the Mustang, then I would use the hd500 for all my dirty stuff. Worked great.

I've used it with several different amps. Marshalls and Mesas. The limiting factor here isn't the amp. It's the HD500. Two things:

1. There's a signal drop at the FX Loop send of -2 dB. You have to find ways to compensate for that, and there are multiple approaches depending on how you configure the POD. I'm not a fan of any of them. The loop should allow for unity gain in and out. It doesn't.

2. To do 4CM "right", you might find yourself running out of effects slots on the 500. Depending on how noisy your amp is at high gain, you might want two noise gates: one after the guitar and one after the amp. You'll probably want an EQ block and reverb, especially if your amp's reverb comes before it's effects loop. No idea why Mesa does that, but it's annoying. Add in an overdrive, wah, and volume pedal and that's 7 blocks taken up right off the bat (don't forget the FX Loop takes a block). So what do you have left? Delay? Might be enough for some, but it's still pretty sparse.

3. I can't count, obviously, but the third thing actually has to do with your amp. Make sure you have a serial effects loop on the amp. PURE serial loop, not a parallel loop with the mix control set 100% wet. You will still get bleed of the dry signal and it can set up some phasing issues.

The HD500 can work, but it takes a lot more work and patience than some other units.

RJT

+1000
This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you! It kind of helped me make my decision, too. I've been trying to avoid dropping more than $500 on an amp, but I don't think that's going to happen, lol. I guess I'll have to push my budget a few hundred and pick up a B-stock, scratch and dent, or used DT-25 Head or Combo. I see a few on eBay for under $700. I'd prefer the head, It's lighter, lol.

I've used it with several different amps. Marshalls and Mesas. The limiting factor here isn't the amp. It's the HD500. Two things:

1. There's a signal drop at the FX Loop send of -2 dB. You have to find ways to compensate for that, and there are multiple approaches depending on how you configure the POD. I'm not a fan of any of them. The loop should allow for unity gain in and out. It doesn't.

2. To do 4CM "right", you might find yourself running out of effects slots on the 500. Depending on how noisy your amp is at high gain, you might want two noise gates: one after the guitar and one after the amp. You'll probably want an EQ block and reverb, especially if your amp's reverb comes before it's effects loop. No idea why Mesa does that, but it's annoying. Add in an overdrive, wah, and volume pedal and that's 7 blocks taken up right off the bat (don't forget the FX Loop takes a block). So what do you have left? Delay? Might be enough for some, but it's still pretty sparse.

3. I can't count, obviously, but the third thing actually has to do with your amp. Make sure you have a serial effects loop on the amp. PURE serial loop, not a parallel loop with the mix control set 100% wet. You will still get bleed of the dry signal and it can set up some phasing issues.

The HD500 can work, but it takes a lot more work and patience than some other units.

DT-25 Head or Combo. I see a few on eBay for under $700. I'd prefer the head, It's lighter, lol.
It doesn't seem lighter by much.

And yes, if you're thinking of going the HD route, by all means go the DT25 route along with it. Really is a cool and great sounding rig. I use my DT25/HD500x rig at least twice a week. More right now that my other is out of the picture.

RJT

I already have the 500x.. Been using it over the past month and have spent a LOT of time with it, as at the moment.. I'm out of work with some back issues. Love the pedal.. Very happy with it. The Head is 17 lbs lighter than the combo (30 lbs vs 47 lbs). I'll probably either get the Line 6 1x12 and put a Neo speaker in it or build my own cab with a Neo. The Line 6 1x12 is 36 lbs. I'll probably go the build my own route and make it an open back to reduce weight.. Then use the ole' SKB front cover behind the amp trick for gigs to give it the closed back feel that I like. Did that for years with my Boogie.

CheeseGrater

none, i just gave up eventually with all the tone suck and ground loops and such and went all in on the Pod HD modeling - Pod-power amp->cab. My life and gigs are simpler for it, and eventually (it took awhile) my tone became just as good as it was with the tube amp. I have our other guitarist who uses a splawn quickrod to benchmark off so i know i'm not imaging things! I should note i'm using a tube power amp though for the Pod.

All that said, i know plenty of folks have good luck with the 4CM - more power to them. To have the raw amp tones plus all the effects and modeling available at your feet is pretty cool.