Head/Cab cable recommendation please.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SKYHIGH, Feb 10, 2012.

1. SKYHIGH

SKYHIGH Member

Hi,

Just got my very first head/cab.

What are some good quality cables to connect the two?

Should I not go over certain length? I'm thinking of keeping the head and cab at different location in my room so long cable is needed. I just don't want to have any tonal lose due to it being too long.

Also, is rigt angle cables not recommended for head cab? Or is it fine to use?

Thanks

2. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

I'd do a little soldering work and be done with it. The cables available at a reasonable price I think are not well made at all. You could really have any lenght of cable as long as the area of the wire is increased in proportion.

3. TubeLuvr

TubeLuvr Member

4. SKYHIGH

SKYHIGH Member

5. rockonomics

rockonomics Member

Can you solder? if so, the cheapest way to go is to rob a cord from a lamp or get and extention cord from the dollar store. Get a pair of pancake right angle plugs from Rat Shack. Make it to length. It'll sound as good as a bazillion buck speaker wire. If you can't solder, get the cheapest one you can find. Just don't use a guitar cord.

6. SKYHIGH

SKYHIGH Member

Thanks but I can not solder. I really just need recommendation on where who and what to buy. Thanks again.

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

You're kind of overthinking it. Just go down to your local music store and see what they have. Buy whatever is the appropriate length that appears to be well made. Unless it's a real piece of junk, it's going to work.

8. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

^
    This! Don't spend much money on a speaker cable. And, length doesn't matter no farther than your running it so forget any nonsense you read about that. The only thing I'd avoid are the cheap plastic covered plug ends.

9. halfnote

halfnote Senior Member

Planet waves make a nice fat cable.. $45.00 for 3'. Thats what I use.

10. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

You're going to get all types answers from DYI with lamp cords to Van Den Hull (SP?). I haven't tried a lot put I've been pretty happy with the Evidence Audio sirens and an Alessandro that I've been using with my Bludo Hi-Plains Drifter.

11. SKYHIGH

SKYHIGH Member

Bump.

I would like to order online. Nearest guitar store that might carry something like this is 1 hours one way. I'd rather order online.

Thanks

12. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

You've already been given a couple of suggestions for cables online. What else do you want?

The cable at Amazon nickthenail suggest looks like a great deal, and the audiopile cables I suggested are likewise excellent. Right angle 1/4" plugs on speaker cables are going to be hard to find. I'm not sure I've ever seen them although I imagine they exist somewhere.

13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Short speaker cable with Switchcraft or Nuetrik jacks.

14. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

I just did this. I choose the Switchcraft 280 plugs with the phenolic insulators that wont melt and loosen the tension on the assembly with the soldering heat.

I used 14 gauge speaker wire that I got from Wally World, and it worked out great. I bought extras for the future.