Head-cab wattage help:)

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Anjo, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Anjo

Anjo Member

In lack of another cab at the moment, I'm contemplating letting my 100 watt head power a 60 watt 2x12 cab. IF it without risk of damaging anything. So I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if this combination a: won't do any harm to neither amp or cab, b: will probably damage something, or c: will surely damage something?

From my limited knowledge I'm guessing towards b; probably something will get damaged...:)

A thousand thank you's for any advice!

2. hasserl

hasserl Member

I think you are probably right!

You don't state what amp you have, but if it is a tube amp you can safely assume that the wattage it puts out is quite a bit above the rated wattage, which is the rating for clean undistorted power (or rather it should be, some companies fudge this for marketing reasons). Your 60 watt rated cab will be seriously overpowered.

3. doc

doc Member

If you have a master volume on your amp and keep it fairly low, you probably would be okay. Some amps are a bit optimistic about their output power anyway, so to some degree it does depend on which amp it is.

4. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

You'd probably be pushing your luck with even half that wattage into a 60 watt cab. My friend killed a G12H30 in a 60 watt 2x12 with a 50 watt Marshall.

Theoretically, if you keep the volume low enough, you would be fine, but it's really hard to ear-ball it. You can think you're fine but really be past the safe zone.

If you're determinted to do it, I'd pull two power tubes (assuming this is safe in the amp in question) and use an attenuator as well.

5. Anjo

Anjo Member

Thanks everybody for your replies. An excellent forum this truly is!
    The amp is a Gyutron gt100, and the cab is a 2x12 with two 30 Eminence Red Fangs. I think based on your adcice, I won't try this combination, unless I pull two tubes, and do low volume playing only:)

Thanks!
    Anders
    Oslo