Headless Guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rsm, Mar 11, 2015.

1. rsm

rsm Member

Been digging Steinbergers since they were new, sold my originals though long ago except my L2 bass, and I've had a Synapse SS-2F for a few years. With the slow death of the brand under Gibson, I found and purchased two more Synapse SS-2F guitars this year, I think I'm done (for now).

I considered a new custom Kiesel Vader, but I would want to change the pickups since they don't seem to provide options...and these would have all cost more than the SS-2F. And, I happen to dig the SS-2F model...

Who else digs headless guitars/basses? What ya got?

2. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

I have a GL 2 proto with a milled hard tail ,a GL4t , and a GP 2s. Some of the best playing guitars you will ever find , I have a GS 7Z as well but that the one with the head.

3. Gitarman

Gitarman Member

Those Carvin Vader's look pretty sweet and I hear great things about the new Kiesel pickups. I'd love to try one out.

I've got this Yo-era Spirit GU-7R that travels with me to/ from band practice every week (old pic... it's now sporting different pickups):

[​IMG]

I also just picked up this Hohner G2T, that's turned into a great player after a some minimal setup:

[​IMG]

I ended up ripping out the electronics and threw in a set of GFS RedActives, complete with their plug-n-play system. I had to enlarge the control cavity a tad, but managed to cram everything in there (volume, tone, 3-way, bus board, & battery):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    *Note the incorrectly-placed logo on the bridge pickup. I bought it as a 'blem' to save a few $$$, but it ended up being defective. Kudos to the folks at Guitarfetish, who had a replacement out to me 2 days later, no questions asked! :aok

4. s2y

s2y Member

Hipshot, J Custom, and a few others are making more headless hardware these days. Builders like Chris Forshage seem to to be the best in value and exceptional in performance. With a guy like Chris, your options are limitless, within reason. The price would be more than Carvin and should be a far superior guitar.

I was about to order a headless Forshage Orion, but ordered a nylon 7 string instead.

[​IMG]

5. movingpictures

movingpictures Supporting Member

I really like Ola Strandbergs designs. The new OS Boden is out and within reach price wise. The Vader is also a great design with TONS of options.

6. reentune

reentune Supporting Member

I have a Forshage Orion and a Carvin HH2x.
    The Vader is under consideration, but maybe something I will pick up used.

7. reentune

And wait till you see what Gene Baker has in the works!
    It will blow your fudgin' mind!

8. sksmith66

sksmith66 Member

is it this thing:

[​IMG]

9. reentune

Yep.
    Though that's a terrible photo of it.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  10. varjao

varjao Member

Not a fan, I think it's ugly as hell, also reminds me those terrible synth rock bands from the 80s

11. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Mine looks exactly the same except it is black burst. Great guitars.

12. redeyedjim

redeyedjim Silver Supporting Member

Just curious: for those of you that enjoy this form factor, what makes a headless guitar more appealing than a guitar with a more traditional headstock? Is it the compact size? The access to the first fret? The balance of it? The "let's be different" factor?

Disclaimer: I own a Travel Guitar Speedster, which is headless but has its own idiosyncrasies, so I'm reluctant to judge all headless guitars by the Speedster's quirks.

13. s2y

s2y Member

Very cool. I have no doubt I'll be ordering another Forshage as soon as mine is done. I'm weak like that.

14. sixesandsevens

sixesandsevens Member

I like the compactness, light weight, and balance. A band mate has a strandberg Boden 7 and in that case, it's also the EndurNeck profile that intrigues me.

15. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

He has a used Starcaster/Doc like hollow body on the Emporium right now I'm trying to avoid. Starting back to school this summer, and can't afford another guitar currently.

Feels like I'm dealing with the Borg. :eek:

16. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I used to play solo jazz restaurant gigs regularly for 5 years. The ergonomics of the Forshage are stellar. Could sit and play for hours, and did.

The padded gigbag it comes in makes it look like an oversized tennis racquet, so it travels really well. Fits in all overhead bins except those little 50 seat puddle jumpers.

17. pima1234

pima1234 Member

Absolutely agree. Chris does great work, and the ergonomics couldn't be much better.

My custom Orion will be here very soon. But... thanks to a car accident, I have a broken arm. So bummed, but I definitely have something wonderful to look forward to.

(Not at fault and no one else was hurt, thank goodness. It could have been so much worse. Seeing an attorney tomorrow to get some things squared away.)

18. reentune

What a coincidence.
    Totaled mine just over two weeks ago too!
    No broke arms though…just broke!
    Was just playing the Holdsworth. Sweet!
    (Not to rub it in or anything.)

19. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

I had one of the pre Gibson Steinberger GP2S back in the day. Liked it but was always drawn to the original GL body shape. So I am going to build my own GL shaped "Part-O-Berger" using the JCustom bridge but I have another idea for the headpiece. The Kiesel Vader looks pretty good but to me the only headless design I like is the GL. Everything else looks strange to me. I'm a minimalist. The guitar I am going to put together will only have a bridge pickup.

[​IMG]