• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Headless Trem Idea

Deed_Poll

Just a quick sketch, I was thinking about a headless vibrato system.

IMAG1806_1_zpsqm0cse3n.jpg

So it's basically a rocking bridge with a modified Strat 2-point trem mounted behind it - except it has a block with slotted headstock with tuners sandwiched in between the plate and the trem block that moves with the vibrato action.

I have since redesigned it to make the block and "headstock" from one piece (cast or milled aluminium) with sizeable cantilever buttresses to add strength.

Is this madness? Or could it be cool? I will be very interested to hear your opinions!

swiveltung

No reason it wont work. Not terribly different than many trem's with fine tuners though... you don't really need that "headstock" back there to have tuners...

Deed_Poll

This is what I was thinking of for the springs, shown in red. I like a smoother feeling trem so I will make them long but only use 2. I plan to use a pair of titanium springs to minimise damping.

For the inline version I think the tuner plate / "headstock" will need to be angled back from the bridge so they maintain a decent break angle when the trem is divebombed. The pivot / hinge point is shown in blue.

Screenshot_20160808-230606_1_zpsnjwdakc8.jpg

bob-i

The physics of it will give you uneven change in pitch. The Es will change in pitch less than the D and G strings, B and A will be inbetween. If you're ok with that then this should work although you'll need more downward angle or the strings will lift from the bridge.

Be.eM

This design moves the strings back and forth over the bridge. Some - especially the wound ones - will get stuck there to some degree, the guitar will go out of tune after using the trem. That's why existing designs like Steinberger trems either have the saddles/bridge moving with the trem or - if separate - use roller saddles.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
You effectively have 2 bridges there and both will be subject to string slide.
It appears that the main bridge is also a knife edge. Tuning variability will make it difficult for that to stay to stay centred i.e. tension change will pull it off centre.
It seems to be very difficult to address the problems associated with trem and keep the system simple and practical in use.
It surely should have been done by now.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom