Headphone practice box... Pandora? PocketPOD?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jonlarsen002, Mar 21, 2008.

1. jonlarsen002

jonlarsen002 Member

Ok, so it seems like there are several small modelers that can be used for practicing with headphones... the Pandora and the Pocketpod... can you think of others? Today I played the Line6 PocketPOD, and it really seems like a little gimmick to sell to 16-year-olds... the preset were alright, but when you tried to tweek them, they sounded muddy and crappy. Is there a decent solution made for real musicians who want to practice with their headphones at 2 in the morning?

2. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

I use one of those Vox Cllassic Rock things that plug right into the guitar and have a blast with it. Rhythm and chords sound awesome, like a cranked 4X12. The lead department is a bit lacking though but I get over it.

3. Electric I

Electric I Member

Same here & am leaning towards to vox amplug, classic version.

4. Wymore Guitars

Wymore Guitars Member

I kind of felt the same way about the Pandora. It's just a bunch of weird sounds and not that useful if you really want to hear what you sound like.

I don't think they are building these anymore but if you can find a Cafe Walter headphone amp they are the most accurate sounding I have heard. What you play is what you hear, no junk!!

5. greatbigz

greatbigz Member

FWIW: My buddy just got one of these and he swears by it.

6. Wymore Guitars

Wymore Guitars Member

I lied, I guess they are still available ...

http://www.cafewalter.com/ha1/index.htm

7. jonlarsen002

jonlarsen002 Member

I was turned off by several people who got a Vox Amplug who said that it sounded good but was made very cheaply.

8. triple_vee

triple_vee Senior Member

I dig the pandora px4d. it's a pretty cool little unit. let's you record loops and jam over them. decent enough presets for a headphone amp.

9. jonlarsen002

jonlarsen002 Member

Just got a brand new Pandora PX4D for $85 on craigslist... I definitely like it more than the PocketPOD for several reasons... first of all, it has lots of features like drum and bass and phrase trainer and key transpose that make it great for practice... and on top of that, it is easy to change the amp/overdrive mode to something that fits your taste... just turn the knob to AC15 rather than scroll through a bunch of crap and change parameters. Not incredible tone, but good enough and the price is right. It feels like a tool for musicians as opposed to the PocketPOD which plays and operates like a gadget for the average teen amateur.

10. ronin32

ronin32 Member

I had a Pocket Pod, not worth it in my option. Felt too cheaply made and too hard to change any settings on it.

Took it back for one of the new Pod's. I didn't get the floor one so I cant be to hard on my review. It was too hard to change any of the settings. I should have probably gotten the floor one but GC didn't have any when I returned mine, I got it the first week they came out.

I am looking into getting one of those Vox ones or that Pandora.

11. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman Member

Get an old Tom Scholz Rockman. Its the original headphone amp. Check ebay. Sometimes a NOS one will pop up.

12. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

The Pandora really impressed me. I also got one REALLY Cheap on Craigslist and found it light years better than the Pandora I had 10 years ago.

13. dosmun

dosmun Member

I have a Pandora and can get some pretty good sounds from it.

14. rewog

rewog Member

I picked up a Boss TM-3 the other ay, and I'm liking it.
    Takes pedals well too.

15. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

16. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

I have an older Pandora. Probably 3 years old or so but it's pretty decent. I wouldn't record with it but it does the job for quiet practicing or quick and dirty scratch tracks to work out a few parts.

Scott