Headphone practice units - ideas please

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by mikeowen17, Jan 12, 2019.

1. mikeowen17

mikeowen17 Supporting Member

For many years I’ve used my MacBook with an apogee jam and AmpliTube for practice when learning tunes for my cover band. However, the MacBook is getting slow and I’m getting tired of waiting 10 minutes to get everything loaded and ready to play, especially when I only have a small (eg 30 mins) time for a quick practice.

So what else is out there - ideally I’d like something that has:
    - small size
    - headphone output
    - input for iPhone to play along with Spotify
    - couple of basic sounds (clean, dirt, reverb)
    - inexpensive

What are you guys using?

2. Old Guy

Old Guy Silver Supporting Member

Dude, I just got a Mooer Hornet and it ROCKS. $140. Has everything you're looking for but has 9 amps and three knobs with various effects for each. 15W but more quiet and perfect for bedroom and quiet practice.

3. Moby Dick

Moby Dick Member

Not sure if it’s considered inexpensive or small enough but I love my Yamaha thr10C.

4. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

5. Gevalt

Gevalt Member

Vox DA5, re-vamped as the Mini 5 Rhythm

6. Angstwulf

Angstwulf Member

For inexpensive, the Vox Amplugs are pretty good. You don't get much variation in tone but what you get works well. Plays well with mp3 players/phones via mini-jack cable.

Have you considered using something like an iRig or Apogee Jam and keeping it all in the iPhone? I know you can do this with iTunes, not sure about Spotify.

Another alternative: I just picked up a used Boss Micro BR80 and I love it. It doesn't have an input for an iPhone but I've loaded about 100 MP3's to play along with on an 8GB card with plenty of room to spare. It has a wide range of COSM amp modeling/effects that sound as good as I've heard for a dedicated headphone amp. Plus you can slow down/pitch change whatever you're playing along with. They sell about $250 new but there are plenty of good condition used ones for cheap on Reverb, etc. The 8 track recorder is also the most user friendly of the small form recorders that I've used.

7. gtrplyr1

gtrplyr1 Member

My favorite has always been the original rockman, more recently I have been using a headrush gigboard.

8. tycobb73

tycobb73 Supporting Member

My favorite practice tool is a tascam gb10.

9. Theorist

Theorist Supporting Member

Thr 10 is a flick a switch and start playing solution, has easy to dial good tones.
    Blackstar id:Core Beam has Bluetooth for connecting the phone.
    Both are small and practical.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Moby Dick likes this.
  10. Angstwulf

Angstwulf Member

filo01 likes this.
  11. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

Hx stomp is maybe too expensive, but could be a solution. I didn’t find the amp models to be that great, but I’m picky.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  12. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

Yamaha thr10c, checks all those boxes

Mooselake and Moby Dick like this.
  13. jklotz

jklotz Member

I kinda want one of those. The ability to load a tune, loop a section, slow it down and play over it is very useful for learning tunes.

14. tycobb73

tycobb73 Supporting Member

Exactly. Slowing a tune down and gradually speeding it up is exactly how i learned in school band.

15. CanuckChris

CanuckChris Supporting Member

Another vote for one of the THR10 in whichever flavour you want. I have the 10X, and do miss having some good clean amps like the 10 or 10C offer. On the upper end, the HX Stomp is very small form factor with headphone out.

The one thing I do like about both of the above is that they have 1/4" headphone jacks. The longer headphone cord on my Sennheisers use a 1/4" jack, and I feel like it just provides a more solid connection. Personal preference really.

Heard lots of good things about the Katana's as well, but never tried them personally.

Moby Dick likes this.
  16. Frozen Rat

Frozen Rat Gold Supporting Member

I'm kind of in a similar situation as you. I have tried a myriad of inexpensive solutions (relatively speaking) and one expensive solution.

Blackstar HT1R — great headphone out because it uses emulated cab. You're a bit limited on tones unless you want to pile pedals on in front of the input (no effects loop as I recall).

Amplitube through iPad/IRig — I don't know how anyone is happy with this. I always struggled to get decent tone. It was often frizzy, or muted, or something else annoying.

Kemper Profiler — way more going on than I would ever need. Pain in the butt getting from one RIG to another as one changes songs. Editing it and getting things the way I wanted was just too much. Lovely tones though when one gets it right but getting a nice tone takes some work. My favorites were always the ones I constructed myself. Great headphones out though.

THR10C — I know a lot of people like these but it's pretty limited and I was never all that impressed with its tones. But like someone said above, I'm pretty picky. The biggest thing I didn't like was the headphone out. I don't think it has emulated cab so it sounds pretty odd (to me).

17. jklotz

jklotz Member

For me, I had to make a conscious decision about what I was trying to accomplish. I’m currently playing in 3 bands, and the amount of material I have to learn is substantial. Lot’s of great sounding options presented above, but for me all I need is decent, as long as I can load a song, loop a section and slow down playback in pitch and play on top of it. A metronome and tuner are a plus. Easy and quick are a must. I don’t need to be inspired, I need to learn material and practice with as little distraction as possible.

I’ll pull out the real amps after I have the material down. Then I’ll be looking for inspiration.

Keep your eye on the prize, as my grandfather used to say.

MilwMark likes this.
  18. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

I got an ME80 for this purpose liked it so much it replaced my pedalboard.

Live I just use it in Manual mode with the amp sim off.

For headphone practice I use an amp sim, but otherwise it is the same. iPhone or iPad into the Aux in. The tone is good but not like a crancked amp. But like @jklotz for practice I just need an easy tool/setup. Not
    awe inspiring toanz.

1/8” dummy plug for the headphone out lives in my gigbag. That way, if my amp goes down I can plug in the dummy and run the ME80 to the board with cab sim engaged.

Great tool.

Moe45673 likes this.
  19. primeholy

primeholy Member

I’m interested to see what you go with