Headphones for home recording / mixing

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by cob666, Aug 1, 2020 at 5:39 PM.

1. cob666

cob666 Member

I guess the title says it all. I’ve searched the forums and there are some good threads on headphones but the prices are ALL over the place. I’m looking to spend in the $500 range and want headphones I can use for both recording and mixing. I’m not doing much, if any vocal recording so I don’t really need closed back.

I looked at getting a pair of AKG K712s but nobody has them in stock right now unless I order them from the UK and I can’t imagine how long it would take to get them delivered to Canada.

What would you consider comparable to those AKGs that you would recommend?

2. Maltese Fan

Maltese Fan Member

Massdrop AKG K7XX. I have them and they are awesome. About $200.

3. cob666

cob666 Member

Out of stock.

4. Inoshishi

Inoshishi Member

I really like the Shure SRH1840 that I purchased a few months ago. It works well for mixing and sounds great.

5. Badtone

Badtone Silver Supporting Member

Sennheiser HD650 are pretty well regarded for mixing, and I love mine. Very neutral in sound, comfortable to wear for long periods.

Nivs likes this.
  6. zygoat

zygoat Supporting Member

I just got the beyer dynamic DT1990s, so far they have been amazing for me. I have crappy monitors in an even worse room so this is what I’m doing until i can get a proper room established. Pretty much in your price range.

sants likes this.
  7. Denzil Mathias

Denzil Mathias Member

Austrian Audio Hi-X55 (closed Back) or Audeze LCD-1 (open back) worth a look in.

8. Captngeetch

Captngeetch Supporting Member

When I picked up a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro’s my whole listening experience changed. They made me want to change several half completed projects I had. I picked up the 250ohm version new on sale for $108 off Reverb. I have excellent headphone amplification so the 250ohm version work well for me. If you are unsure of your HP sections output capability or just monitor through a smaller audio interface, the 80ohm or 32ohm version would be a better option. Same high quality, less power requirement. The Ohm rating really has nothing to do with fidelity. They are very comfortable, so long sessions are not a problem and the cord is coiled. Some don’t care for that aspect, but as a guitar player who records sitting at the desk, it really helps keep the cord out of the way and not under your chairs wheels getting crimped and constantly run over. They are a closed back design and do provide some noise cancellation as well.

9. Bosko

Bosko Member

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro’s

Captngeetch likes this.
  10. dudu

dudu Member

Audio Technica ATH-M50x. Pretty much industry standard. So good I have two pairs.

11. sants

sants Supporting Member

There are quite a few nice picks in the $500 range. The beyer dt1770 (closed back) or dt1990 (open back) are very solid choices. I also the Neumanns.

I’ve been using the dt1770 for live streams and they really help with isolation and offer a more true sound to what is going on, not as much hyped top end which helps me.

Captngeetch likes this.
  12. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

13. sants

sants Supporting Member

Nah. Just a good price and overall solid buy with good performance.

Probably the most widely used for the value/performance. There was just a post where someone asked what is the “Toyota Corolla” of headphones. The mdr7506 are it. Good and dependable.

14. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

With the budget you’ve stated, I’d suggest getting two pair, a closed back pair for recording, and an open back pair for mixing. A single set, even a really nice set at your price point is going to be a compromise with respect to one of the two intended purposes. (The isolation provided by closed back are best for any type of recording, not just vocals.)

Captngeetch and sants like this.
  15. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

Neumann MDH20! My goodness these things are amazing! I’m hearing things I haven’t heard before! Fantastic for tracking, recording and mixing!

I have a set of Shure SHR840s that I use as well but they are not in the same league as these.

sants likes this.
  16. TwoHandsTenThumbs

TwoHandsTenThumbs Silver Supporting Member

^ This. I find closed backs hard for mixing, mostly out of ear fatigue and the boosted bass that accompany the design; and open backs are hard to track with as far as bleed is concerned.

Like monitors, no headphone is perfect. And you “learn” the quirks of the particular headphones over time, which makes finding and committing to something pretty useful.

I tend to favor Beyerdynamic DT770 for tracking, and Grado SR-80 for mixing. I’ve had a few of each over the past 30 years, and know them well. Familiarity is hugely important with monitoring choices.

Captngeetch likes this.
  17. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 2:15 PM
  18. mdog114

mdog114 Member

These were the standard back in the day.

strike3 and sants like this.