Headphones for home recording

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by blackbird, Jan 1, 2020.

1. suparsonic

suparsonic Member

Sennheiser HD650 for mixing, best I’ve used.

Badtone, blackbird and David MacNeill like this.
  2. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

I've used HD280s as my main cans for a decade and they do the job. I don't like the coil-y cable much but I can live with it.

I also have a pair of HD480 Golds which I have used for about 25 years which are more mid focused and give a different perspective - they are also super comfy.

blackbird likes this.
  3. David MacNeill

David MacNeill Supporting Member

Sony MDR7506 is the one to track with when there are live mics in the room. $90 of sweet, durable, proven excellence. AKG K271 Studio if you want something a little better for yourself. Sennheiser HD650 for mixing. I bought the Drop.com HD6XX version and love them.

dhd, Badtone and blackbird like this.
  4. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Member

I have to second this recommendation. I have a number of popular phones for this use. These top the list.

1. At-m50 - good isolation, great sound - best all around
    2. Mdr-7506 - light on head, great sound - preferred by singers
    2. Hd-280 - great isolation, good sound - preferred by drummers

I should also state for the record that the pads on the Sony mdr-7506 will disintegrate. You will want to buy third party pads that will hold up if you buy them. It is amazing how lousy the stock pads are. They are comfortable at first but ultimately garbage. Sony should be ashamed.

dhd, Mister Natural and blackbird like this.
  5. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Supporting Member

a couple of years ago, I wanted a lighter AT headphone for mixing and more casual listening. As I dig the M50s a lot and wanted the same "family" of sound if you will, went with the open-air AT AD900x which is now disco'd
    I think that I paid ~$100 and love them - super comfortable & lightweight
    peace

blackbird and Ash Telecaster like this.
  6. BenF

BenF Silver Supporting Member

This man speaks the truth, the painful truth. Be careful with your headphones.

I've been using headphones for home recording for 30ish years and I've probably gone through 5 pairs due to wearing them out or breaking them: taking them on and off multiple times a day, dropping them, doing the "yank off and throw across the room" maneuver when a painfully loud sound blasts into my ears, leather cracking on the ear pieces, rolling over the cables with office chairs, plugs being bent, etc..

I'm VERY careful with my gear, believe it or not. Headphones just don't last long with me, which means I tend to go with headphones under $100 because I'd hate to mangle a set of high dollar headphones.

One caveat about me and headphones: I do have a very large head (which does not equate to increased brainpower unfortunately), and I am certain that my large cranium causes some some stress on the headbands of headphones (and was the primary cause of the eventual destruction of a pair of Shure headphones two years ago.)

blackbird likes this.
  7. dougb415

dougb415 Silver Supporting Member

M40x have the removable cable, if I remember correctly. No, there is no option to change EQ. I’ve had mine for a few years, never had a problem with them.

blackbird likes this.
  8. blackbird

blackbird Member

Cool! How are for recording vocals you think ? How about listening e-piano with the headphones? Could I enjoy listening any music with them?
    I think I 'll get the m40x which I've found for 90$. Also found the shure SRH440 for 70 .

9. dougb415

dougb415 Silver Supporting Member

I’ve used them for everything that you’ve mentioned and have been happy with the results.

blackbird likes this.
  10. slayerbear17

slayerbear17 Member

I love using my AKG's 240MKII. Light weight, Semi open back and mixes translate well when checking on the cans. I love the fact the cable is replaceable if something goes wrong, I learned my lesson from my 9YO daughter destroying a $200 pair of headphones.

blackbird likes this.
  11. The Opera Panther

The Opera Panther Supporting Member

I've been using Sennheiser HD280s for years. They're totally fine. I really only use them while tracking acoustic guitars, and they're fine for that.

blackbird likes this.
  12. blackbird

blackbird Member

Haven't made a pick yet and boy are these tempting also at $65! How's the noise cancelling? Thanks!

13. TalismanRich

TalismanRich Member

The AKGs are open back, so you won't get noise cancelling at all. I love the sound quality of mine, but if you're in a noisy room, you'll hear a lot of that noise. They are best used on a quiet room.

14. mixwiz

mixwiz Member

I have about 6 pairs of these for tracking. The sound great, super comfortable and unbelievably cheap. Also, the cable has a female at the headphone itself (1/8" trs on both ends) so if you forget, it just detaches. https://www.monoprice.com/product?p...V4C4xqlGd7C-NLIp7cmXbvevIGTym2GwaAtaJEALw_wcB

BenF likes this.
  15. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

Open backs and on ear- I always have a problem trusting them as they seem to be dependent on fit and tension and as they move around sound quality changes.
    Maybe good ones are out there.:dunno

16. Me Again

Me Again Member

THIS! I am ready to throw TWO sets of Yamaha headphones away because they both have connector plugs that cut in and out. Although I guess a repair would be smarter and lots cheaper. I haven’t even used either set that much and have absolutely not abused them. Is there a good quality mixing headphone set out there with a quarter inch connector plug that’s actually DURABLE, with reasonable use??? And a type of connector that’s more easily repaired?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  17. Captngeetch

Captngeetch Supporting Member

I recently bought the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250ohm and now I have to re-master a bunch of my mixes. They revealed so much that I was missing. Got them off Reverb new for $106

tazzboy likes this.
  18. tazzboy

tazzboy Supporting Member

Yeah I decided to get those as well after doing some research and readying some reviews and stuff.

Captngeetch likes this.
  19. SideBMusic

SideBMusic Member

Yeah. I have Audio-Technica M50s. However, I use KRK headphones when recording vocals; I can hear myself better. Primarily, I mix with the monitors, but when I need to use headphones I'll use the M50s.