• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Headphones for HX Stomp recommendations

Seahawk2982

Silver Supporting Member
Looking for a new pair of headphones to go with a recently purchased HX Stomp. I currently have a pair of Philips SHP9500S open ears that worked great with my old Atomic AA3 but aren't loud enough and harsh with the Stomp. I assume its an impedance thing. They are only 32 ohm and I heard high impedance works better with the Stomp. Looking to spend between 100-200 bucks preferably. Not interested in picking up a headphone amp or anything like that. Just looking to plug headphones right in the Stomp's headphone out. Thanks!

MusicLaw

Double Platinum Member
If you desire an open back design consider the Sennheiser HD650 custom version built for MassDrop designated the HD6XX. Often right in your price range.

If a closed back is what you might want, the BeyerDynamic DT770 are available in both an 80Ω or 250Ω version. The 80Ω version will be louder with the HX Stomp. I have the 250Ω version and it gets plenty loud for my needs with all my gear. This is also typically right in your price range from various sources.

burton56

I picked up a pair of AKG K240 for around $67. I was going to go with a set of Beyerdynamic DT770 or DT990, but went with the AKG specifically for the removable cable. If the Beyerdynamics had a removeable cable, I would have picked those up in a second. However, the AKGs have worked out real nice and are super comfortable.

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
I like the Massdrop Sennheiser HD58x. It's $150 I believe. Sounds great. I compared it with a lot of others in the price range and it was my favorite. It's also relatively easy to drive. Some high end headphones require a dedicated headphone amp while this one can work with regular electronics.

Brandon7s

It's really strange that the Philips SHP900S don't get loud enough with the Stomp's headphone out. That's a very easy to drive set of headphones, far easier than anything on my top-recommended shortlist. You might want to try simply boosting levels on all of your presets, I'm guessing you have them all set to fairly low output.

-Empire

Love my Sennheiser HD600. They are very flat and I find that my presets translate well to FOH if I dial them in at high volumes with the Sennheiser. I went with the 600 over the 650 or 6xx because those roll off some high end which is bad news for mixing and dialing in presets.

mysticaxe

I like the Massdrop Sennheiser HD58x. It's $150 I believe. Sounds great. I compared it with a lot of others in the price range and it was my favorite. It's also relatively easy to drive. Some high end headphones require a dedicated headphone amp while this one can work with regular electronics.
Just got a set of these for $150 and they sound great with my Stomp.

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
I have the Beyer DT880 and loved it at first but quickly found the bright high end was hurting my clips ability to translate. When the high end (or any frequency) is too high or too low it becomes hard to judge.

I tested the Audio Technica M50X and found it to sound really sucked out in the midrange. M40 for me sounded pretty similar just wasn't as comfortable on my ears.

I like the Sennheiser 58x but do find it a touch dark. I'd love to try the Sennheiser 600 or 650 or whichever version has a little more high end.

Also I have a Sennheiser 598 and it is a very different set of headphones from the 58x or 600 series. Construction quality is not in the same class (still fine, just consumer not professional feeling) and the sound was noticeably darker.

CBHTele

Silver Supporting Member
I initially made the mistake of thinking my K240 headphones weren’t cutting it because the volume was too low; turned out to be that the output level at the end of the signal chain on any given patch was defaulted too low...once I figured that out, I got more than enough volume :oops:

Mark Al

If budget allows, I highly recommend Etymotic er4sr, the very definition/benchmark of studio reference earphone. It easily trumps DT880, HD650, etc. In this application, it works better than pretty much any non-custom-fit headphones.

MusicLaw

Double Platinum Member
FYI, should your budget reach a bit higher the Neumann's brand new NHD20 closed back headphones are outstanding! They blew me away at NAMM. Sennheiser owns Neumann and the NHD20 were purportedly designed from the sonic footprint of the Sennheiser HD650.

Nefarion

Can anyone confirm if the stomp does well at driving high impedance headphones, such as the 300 ohm Sennheiser HD650's/HD6XX's? I had a set of the 650's (and 600's) back in the day and loved them. I'm going to pick a set up for the stomp. I recall highly preferring the slightly rolled off high end and additional low end emphasis of the 650's compared to the 600's and feel like that would be ideal for guitar sessions (ear fatigue reduction, sound better). Running high impedence headphones with inadequate power generally sucks the life (mids/lows) out of them. If I need to invest in a headphone amp that's fine, I'm just wondering how they do straight out of the hx stomp headphone jack.

Leo Lyons

Can anyone confirm if the stomp does well at driving high impedance headphones, such as the 300 ohm Sennheiser HD650's/HD6XX's? I had a set of the 650's (and 600's) back in the day and loved them. I'm going to pick a set up for the stomp. I recall highly preferring the slightly rolled off high end and additional low end emphasis of the 650's compared to the 600's and feel like that would be ideal for guitar sessions (ear fatigue reduction, sound better). Running high impedence headphones with inadequate power generally sucks the life (mids/lows) out of them. If I need to invest in a headphone amp that's fine, I'm just wondering how they do straight out of the hx stomp headphone jack.
Tried them with dt770 80ohm. Full volume on the stomp gets them to a useable level.

Nefarion

Tried them with dt770 80ohm. Full volume on the stomp gets them to a useable level.
If "full volume" is required to get 80 ohm headphones to "usable level" it may be under powered for 300 ohm headphones. Hmm...

P.S. - Those NHD20's look very tempting. If massdrop didn't offer a $200 version (HD 6XX) of the $450 HD650's I would seriously consider those.

Leo Lyons

If "full volume" is required to get 80 ohm headphones to "usable level" it may be under powered for 300 ohm headphones. Hmm...

P.S. - Those NHD20's look very tempting. If massdrop didn't offer a $200 version (HD 6XX) of the $450 HD650's I would seriously consider those.
When I say useable, I mean full volume gives a pleasant loudness that feels just right. Not too quiet and not too loud but a good level of loudness I can work with.

Apparently the HP in this is reduced for its smaller size than the bigger units.

guitarobert

If budget allows, I highly recommend Etymotic er4sr, the very definition/benchmark of studio reference earphone. It easily trumps DT880, HD650, etc. In this application, it works better than pretty much any non-custom-fit headphones.
+1. I went with the ER4XR for some extra bass response, and they are excellent. If budget doesn’t allow, then it may be worth looking at the ER3SR or ER3XR.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom