Headphones in the FX loop is this OK??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mstre, Sep 2, 2008.

1. mstre

mstre Member

I recently moved into an apartment complex with pretty strict noise regulations so I'm trying to find ways still use my tube amp, before considering buying a smaller amp with a headphone out.

Is it possible to plug in headphones directly into my amps FX send and return nothing? Would I still need a speaker cab connected to my amp?

Would it be better to plug in some type of FX processor (e.g. POD ) into my amps FX send and plug in the headphones to the FX processors headphone jack?

Should I get something like Weber's headphone tap which is a dummy load, and plug that into my amp's speaker out?

Or, would it just be better for me to get something like a Roland Cube or Vox Valvetronix which have integrated headphone outs?

Any comments, suggestions and shared experiences are appreciated

2. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I wouldn't mess around with sticking headphones where they don't suggest or recommend.
    Also,
    Tube amps need to have a load hooked up to operate safely.

I would just invest in a small practice amp or portable modeler for headphone jamming.

3. fizbin

fizbin Member

I think this would be pretty safe, but it's difficult to say how good it would sound. It would also have to emulate a guitar speaker cabinet to sound good, and not simply send the straight output signal to the headphone.

4. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

+1, save your loot and buy a git'er done.

5. cram

cram Member

this has application to sending the preamp section of the amp into another power amp section or into the front of another amp...

aside from the pole of the headphone being stereo...

I've seen this done by a few people in a studio. I was never sure if this was not good for an amp...

6. shakerAU

shakerAU Member

You'll still need to have your speaker plugged in, Buy something like a Behringer Vamp2