headphones sound better than any type of speakers, have tried everything.

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by D1ma, Jun 25, 2013.

1. RiGLEY

RiGLEY Member

No offense, but you are probably doing it wrong. Headphones are simply different. Do not take a preset that is good through HPs and audition that with other speakers. Create and tweak new patches only using normal speakers until you like them. If you cannot do that then probably get some better speakers / modeler. If you get a good sound with normal speakers, listen to that preset with HPs. It will probably sound not as good. Also play with reverb a bit and see if it helps.

2. barhrecords

barhrecords Member

For playing electric guitar, having speakers in the same room as the guitar makes a difference for me (vs. exclusively using headphones).

The acoustic coupling between the guitar and speakers changes the feel for me.

3. hacker

hacker Member

I guess it's all how you define "sounds better." IMHO, sounds better=clarity and detail. For clarity and detail, headphones in the $100 range can beat out audio systems costing $10,000+

4. D1ma

D1ma Member

thanks everyone for replies
    as i said i already tried many different options like krk monitors, PA speaker, 2x12 combo (into fx loop), all sounded like crap
    a few days ago i decided to give a shot to those ALTO Truesonic PA's, i've already tried one PA though
    i bought it, connected and it's still the same s*it
    headphones give that brilliant plexi crunch and also recordings sound right, the same as i hear in headphones, but all the options with speakers i mentioned above sound just wrong, i don't even know how it's possible, for the instance when i play through speakers i barely hear the difference when i split the humbucker to single coil, the sound overall is like cheap overdrive pedal
    i think i give up on this, this is crazy, i've been trying to solve this for months

And of course i tried to tweak presets differently when through speakers, even downloaded bunch of popular presets from the known website just in case, and they sounded brilliant in headphones, but with speakers the sound was just wrong..

5. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member

What about volume? Do you turn your PA up until your ears feel the same sound pressure as when using headphones?

6. GreatSatan

GreatSatan Member

welcome to the wonderful variables inherent in studio-recorded guitar sounds! Where it ain't quite like tweaking the knobs on your combo amp..
    a guitar amp, when played through the same cabinet, will always sound pretty consistent from day to day (provided you didn't change the controls yesterday).

If you switch the monitoring method for your modellers all the time, they are always going to sound different. Every speaker/headphone/sound-source has its own eq curve that it imparts on the signal.

You need to prioritise which method you're going to use it with; if you're going to play live, then tweak it using the PA, if you're going to record then stick with a combination of monitors and commercial hifi stereo-speakers (and get the patches sounding good on both) but if you're only going to jam at home stick with the headphones (but to me thats the worst option).

Its going to inherently sound different on every single sound system, its up to you which one you're willing to commit to or will be of the most use to you (& live with the compromise when hearing it through any of the others).
    Me personally, i stick with monitors/stereo speakers as i use mine solely for recording (rather than gigging). If i were to get a frfr/pa for live shows, i'd tweak the patches accordingly.

Good luck!

7. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

What kind of PA are you running through?

8. Ben R

Ben R Member

One thing to keep in mind: If you create and tweak your patches using headphones, they will only sound like that through your headphones. Similarly, patches that sound great through speakers and were created using them may sound weird, bad, or at least different through headphones.

Here's an experiment... tweak a patch to sound as good as possible through a chosen set of speakers. Then go play it through headphones. It will likely not sound as good as it did through the speakers.