1. KEYGLASS

KEYGLASS Member

I see many people use the term head room when describing the sound quality of an amp. could someone please define for me what headroom means. thanks

2. loverocker

loverocker Member

It's used as shorthand for how loud an amp will go before you get overdrive. Some amp's don't have much - like a Fender Champ. People using with a low wattage amp often want more headroom to be heard over a drummer when playing live (i.e. they crank the amp, but it distorts leaving them without a clean tone).

I had a Diezel that could do 160W of clean. Now that's headroom :eek:

3. hear and play

hear and play Member

+1 for loverocker's answer

An amp's wattage rating is not synonomus with its headroom -- two 50 watt amps may differ in how loud they'll get before the listener perceives distortion.

4. Reeek

Reeek Member

As hear and play states, headroom has more to do with the circuit design and component values including the transformers. Other elements to a certain degree would be the tubes and the speakers as to how clean an amp can stay after the circuit has been designed for clean headroom.

5. KEYGLASS

KEYGLASS Member

Thanks for the quick replys! Now I know what it is and it makes sense. Thanks again

peace

6. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

It's also something tall folks like me need to be concerned about it the back seats of cars.

;)