Headrush FRFR 108 as playback for mixed tracks

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Dave Merrill, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Dave Merrill

Dave Merrill Supporting Member

Have any of you Headrush FRFR 108 folks played mixed and mastered music through them, album tracks from CD, Spotify, iTunes, etc? If so, how do they sound?

2. Old Guy

Old Guy Silver Supporting Member

I doesn't sound great. I haven't used that one in particular, but have a lot of experience with FRFR systems.

The best way to mix tracks is first with headphones, then listen to them with studio monitors. Then balance the two. The problem is that the listening audience will likely be listening to them through headphones and/or small speakers or stereo speakers which is a completely different animal than FRFR. Unless you are playing them back on FRFR, the soud will not be great.

3. Dave Merrill

I'm not so much thinking of how to mix music to sound good through FRFRs. I'm more wondering how FRFRs in general, and these in particular, do at playing back "well mixed" professional releases. In other words, are they somewhat trustable as a neutral reference, or just a specialized guitar modeler playback system that happens to sound good in that context.

4. NeedmoreCrunch

NeedmoreCrunch Member

^This

Old Guy likes this.
  5. Toby Krebs

Toby Krebs Member

The little Headrush cab sounds great for guitar synth and playing back bass and drums from my Digitech Trio pedal. I will try it with some of my pro backing tracks soon.

xcc likes this.
  6. Old Guy

Old Guy Silver Supporting Member

Agree 100%. Frequency wise, it is specifically designed to make guitar/bass presets sound great. It is not your average PA type system.

7. ur2funky

ur2funky Supporting Member

I have a pair of Alto TS208s, basically the same speaker.
    They're not too bad. I would not use them to mix a recording, but for causal playback, they're fine.
    Critical listening next to a decent set of HiFi speakers will reveal some minor shortcomings, but they will blast a lot louder than home stereo speakers.

A recent gig and our Bose system died (used just for vocals and breaktime music) and we used one of my TS208s to fill in (while I played AX8 guitar through the other one) and it did surprisingly well. Cranked up break music outdoors sounded fine.

I bought some RCF ART 708-A's for 2.5x the price and the difference is surprisingly minimal. Slightly less boxy sounding (cutting a few db @ ~150hz on the Altos greatly evens the score). I ended up still using the Altos to gig with.

Sometimes at gig volume levels they can get a little bass heavy, but lifting them off the ground cures that.

8. alex mansman

alex mansman Member

I have a Headrush 112 that I've played some of our recordings back through just to listen and it sounds awesome. Like others have said I probably wouldn't mix with em but the playback is amazingly clear and full

9. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Supporting Member

I plan to run backing tracks along with the axe 3 through mine.

10. xcc

xcc Member

Agreed with most here. It’s great for PA type uses along with FRFR and keyboard duties. I wouldn’t use it to mix, but I would check a mix on it.

11. Dave Merrill

My main use case is adjusting modeler tones in a band context, but with CDs or steaming music instead of an actual band. Also just enjoying playing in that context.

So I'd want speakers that work well for modelers, but also make "records" sound good -- full, clear, no harsher than they were meant to be.

How do folks think they'd do for that purpose?

12. Ingolf

Ingolf Member

Having played full music material through both of my 108's I can attest they sound great with full music as well and not just only guitar.
    And why not?

13. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Member

No. These are designed to project long distances on a budget.

14. KenG

KenG Member

If I was trying to mix I'd use my BX5a monitors over the TS308 (same as tge HR108). These series are really PA speakers, good for DJs, fine for FRFR guitar but not for mix down if I understand the requirements at all

15. shred440

shred440 Supporting Member

I used them along with a computer and my behringer umc202hd to play 80s music for an 80s party and they worked great. People keep saying that they are voiced for guitar and bass, but (correct me if I'm wrong) I think the majority of that has to do with them not putting a mic preamp in it in order for it to be as flat as possible for a modeler since preamps can add color. At the end of the day, they are FRFRs, so music should sound decent through them in PA situations. Maybe not so much in recording situations, through I have used them for that as well.

Ingolf likes this.
  16. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

I'm pretty sure 50% of this thread isn't actually reading what the OP is asking for :D. They sound great playing music back through them.

17. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

Most people these days are listening to recorded music on earbuds, iPhone speakers, and in their cars... I would think that even a cheap PA-type speaker would sound as good as many of those options.

PaisleyWookie likes this.
  18. KenG

KenG Member

I missed it.....:oops:

19. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Member

:messedup:anon