Headrush Gig Board Vs ??

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Metalmike117, Sep 11, 2019 at 12:40 PM.

1. Metalmike117

Metalmike117 Member

Ok. I'm coming from heavy tube amps for 20 years and want to dive into a modeling rig for home use and gigging.

I picked up a Katana for low volume home jams and grab and go gigs. I wasn't sure if I'd like diving into the software and changing eq's and essentially building livesets/profile. However it's crazy even for low $$ amps what you can do with the Katana. I don't mind putting in the work to build a great tone.

However a friend and mentor of mine works for Headrush and has been slowly converting me over to their stuff. Seems like they are a respected line of modelers.

I don't need expression pedals or all the trimmings for what I play which is rock, metal and fusion stuff.

Should I be looking at something else besides the Headrush gig board?

2. Blinkon

Blinkon Member

Sounds like the gigboard is a great place to start for your current needs. Go for it!

3. sitedrifter

sitedrifter Gold Supporting Member

I think Headrush had great ideas but they have lots of issues even with the newer gig board. One draw back is a lack of an active forum. There is a headrushfans forum but not many posts and you get the feeling people get disgusted with the unit and more importantly their support. I do not own one and would be wary about it.

dmock66 likes this.
  4. dspellman

dspellman Member

The Headrush is a floorboard version of the Avid Eleven R (rack) processor (still available for $299 and less, used, with three available for asking prices of $250-270 in my Craigslist). The Eleven R doesn't have the four switches of the $650 Gigboard. And it's...ya know...rack.

The Eleven R suffered from lack of support, but the quality of the firmware was pretty good. I'm not sure how good support is or will be for the Gigboard.

Trout26 likes this.
  5. dmock66

dmock66 Member

I believe the Gigboard tools - amps, effects, etc - are good. Support - I can't speak to as I don't have Headrush products. From my time with the Eleven Rack I enjoyed the tools/components, but they didn't support/upgrade - which Headrush does - although it's not nearly as active as some other platforms.

6. dmock66

dmock66 Member

There are new amp/effects in Headrush - and the HR products will host IRs, which the Eleven does not. Where I get/agree with the spirit of your statement, there are differences aside from the rack/floorboard hardware format.

That said - it's a good point.

7. dspellman

dspellman Member

I was going to mention the IR hosting, but the OP seemed to be leaning toward keeping his involvement in the complexities of modeling fairly low.The Eleven R (and presumably the Gigboard) is one of those units that allow you to find some pretty good sounds right off the bat and go to work.

I'm on the other end of this, with a Helix Floor (and I like programming it from the computer rather than the screen) and a Variax JTV-89F.

dmock66 likes this.
  8. dmock66

dmock66 Member

... agreed...

I used the Eleven alone then later with a Torpedo CAB (for IRs). I did prefer the IRs over stock cabs, but could make both work... but also why I brought that up, as I would find that to be a major point of consideration based on my experience. Also - I personally prefer the floorboard verses the rack/controller - so it makes the Gigboard more appealing, to me. Again tho, MY preferences.

I'm also on the Helix platform - but am interested in a Gigboard as another tool/option.

mojah likes this.
  9. Jchrisf

Jchrisf Member

I hope you get the Gigboard and stay active here and let your friend know about the thoughts of the forum and how to improve. We don't have a connection to Headrush here... you would be a great resource :)

The competition to the Gigboard IMO would be Line 6 HX Stomp and the Atomic Amplifire 6. I have a Headrush Pedalboard, HX Stomp and AA6. I like the sounds of the AA6 the best but the Headrush is a close second. The Headrush is the easiest to work with and the most fun to play but again, I have the Pedalboard and not the Gigboard. The Stomp is the only one that is a computer audio interface also, so I actually spend more time with it because it is attached to my computer for practice. I like them all and they all sound great. If I could only keep one it would probably be the Headrush. I wish my friend worked there.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 2:17 PM
  10. quantech

quantech Member

The D&M forum on TGP leans heavily towards L6 products, which is why there is a paucity of threads featuring Boss, Headrush and Atomic units. Chances are, a good majority are going to tell you to go with a Helix/LT or Stomp, and that's fine, I don't have any issues with L6 stuff at all.

I've had my Gigboard since it was released last fall and in the beginning I had one technical issue and two other support questions, and each time I called InMusic (I prefer actually talking to people than going back and forth and waiting for e-mails), they answered quickly and were very professional and helpful. I've followed many threads and discussions on here and other places and I don't understand why it was mentioned above that there are many people who are "disgusted", whether it's with the actual unit(s) or their support. That's news to me. I do know the full HR floor unit had USB issues, but those were not as widespread as some of the haters would like to believe, and more often than not, ended up being related to unplugging their unit from their computer before doing a simple Eject USB device (like you would do with a USB flash drive) command.

For what I use it for, it's a great unit and no regrets to this day. I love having 11 amp/effects blocks (instead of 6 with the Stomp) and not having or even needing an editor. Also, you can load it up with an almost unlimited number of IRs, so if you don't like the on-board cabs, you can audition hundreds or even thousands hands-free very easily.

It all comes down to your workflow, really. All the latest generation modelers are quite exceptional and are way head of where the technology was 5-10 years ago. You need to decide what your needs are in terms of switching, programming, modifying/tweaking and actual usage. Hard to go wrong with any of them, really. Although I think I'd stay away from Mooer, those dudes are pretty scummy and have been sued at least a couple times for stealing IP/code from other manufacturers!

11. Foxmeister

Foxmeister Supporting Member

Confused by this statement because I'm pretty certain that the Gigboard is also a USB interface...

Tomo El Gato likes this.
  12. dmock66

dmock66 Member

I've also used the Atomic products, along with the 11R and Helix/Stomp - and would echo that they are all great products with different pros/cons - but agreed they're all ahead of older technologies, in general. Just need to determine which pros/cons line up with your needs/preferences.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 2:21 PM
    JiveTurkey likes this.
  13. Jchrisf

Jchrisf Member

Sorry.. I meant to say the Line 6 is also an audio interface. I fixed it.

14. Foxmeister

Foxmeister Supporting Member

That was my point - the Gigboard is also an audio interface - at least I just checked the Headrush website and it says:

"The Headrush Gigboard’s USB port functions as a USB audio interface that records and re-amps at stunning 24-bit 96kHz quality, and it also works to provide a simple drag-and-drop way to load and back up rigs and other files to and from your computer."

15. Metalmike117

Metalmike117 Member

Thanks everyone. The real difficulty I'm having with any of these units is the plug and play functionality. I've messed with a few and most of them on the high gain side which I use most of the time are very bright and I find myself constantly EQ-ing to get the tones where I'm not feeling like I'm getting attacked by bees.

For straight metal tones think George Lynch meets 90's era Metallica is what I'm going after. I wouldn't be using ambient tones. Just amp and a little delay for some depth.

16. dspellman

dspellman Member

I have a C.A.B. that I was using with the HD500. The C.A.B. uses IRs a bit differently and it also has the tube power amp sims that make a huge difference. Again, however, you're adding a layer of complexity. Sort of depends on where you want to go with it.

dmock66 likes this.
  17. Jchrisf

Jchrisf Member

That is for re-amping to audio recording software I believe. I'm talking about the Stomp is an actual audio interface that will play to your computer speakers and allow the computer to play to the speakers/headphone attached to the Stomp like a regular computer audio interface. So if I am practicing to a Youtube video (guitar pro, etc) I can hear both through the same speaker/headphone, etc. To my knowledge the Headrush doesn't do that but if it does please tell me how because I'd love to use it this way. This is why I use it the most for practice because the other two will not do this to my knowledge.

kdm1218 likes this.
  18. dspellman

dspellman Member

Take a glance at meambobbo's Tone Guide (pdf file, free, google it). He's working with the HD500, but the process for setting up for high gain work is pretty much universal.

19. Jchrisf

Jchrisf Member

You will not have a problem with any of the three I mentioned here. Although, I find the AA6 to be the most authentic followed closely by the Headrush and then Stomp. For me the AA6 and Headrush just sound and feel good with no tweaking. The Stomp took some tweaking but it will get there. Right out of the box I loved the AA6 and Headrush but didn't like the Stomp until I spent some time with it and learned how to tweak it. If I lost my patches I'd be frustrated to have to dial them all back in... it takes me some time with the Stomp.

dmock66 and JiveTurkey like this.
  20. NeedmoreCrunch

NeedmoreCrunch Member

For not owning one you sure have a strong negative opinion about it. I do own one and I disagree with you. I've had zero issues with my Gigboard. You don't need an active forum for the Gigboard to shine... it practically plays itself.

If you have an issue or a question contact InMusic support.