Headrush Looperboard: Returning mine after one day.

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by IanEric.com, Apr 30, 2019.

1. IanEric.com

IanEric.com Member

Nope. This thing is not ready for prime-time. Not even close. It's missing some of the most basic functions that a "performance looper" should have. Functions that my trusty Boss RC300 has, even though it's a 7+ year old design:

* No ability to create empty loops of pre-set lengths. This is so basic, it's scary. On the RC300, I can pre-set track lengths based on bars/time signature. Track 1; 2 bars of 4/4. Track 2; 24 bars of 4/4, etc. Headrush rep told me I can "record empty tracks" to achieve this. That's ridiculously clunky, and truthfully doesn't even work because then it won't quantize.

* No sensing of tempo. This goes along with the previous complaint. The RC300 will auto-sense the played tempo, and adjust accordingly. Using the above example, it doesn't matter if I record Track 1 (typically a percussion part) at 112 rpm or 125 bpm. It'll call it "2 bars" and then Track 2 will be 24 bars of that same tempo. No such ability on the Headrush.

* No ability to start recording mid-track except in overdub.

* Stops are not instant. The track doesn't stop until the end of a bar.

* FX thus far are mediocre. Headrush needs to realize that those who PERFORM with loopers are usually acoustic players. A few effects geared toward that would be nice. The chorus on the Looperboard is ...sorry, but it's terrible. Too tremolo-ish.

* FX assigned to "track" (rather than "input") are not monitored. The effect isn't applied until playback.

* The learning curve isn't worth it for what's obviously an unfinished product. Perhaps some of these issues are fixable in menus, but I can't find them. And For $900, I expected a whole lot more flexibility, and the missing features are unacceptable.

Already got my RMA and shipping sticker. Call me when you've grown up, Looperboard.

2. quantech

quantech Member

The other Looperboard thread on here had this titanic failure of a unit destined for a landfill in New Mexico along with thousands of Atari 2600 cartridges from the 80s. Even the new firmware release doesn't address many or most of the issues that people have noted.

buddaman71, slugworth and eoengineer like this.
  3. IanEric.com

IanEric.com Member

I won't go so far as to call it junk. It does have potential. But it's like Headrush did zero R&D with their target audience before releasing this thing. I am 100% the target consumer. I was tremendously excited about this device. And I'm equally tremendously disappointed with the most basic functions that are missing for "true" performance looping.

4. quantech

quantech Member

What I know about loopers would probably not even fill a thimble, but from reading various comments/threads and from the few reviews I've seen, it may not be junk, but it certainly seems to be overpriced, oversized and definitely under-planned and under-useful in the real world. If they don't end up dumping this thing due to poor sales, who knows, maybe in three or four firmware updates it'll be more useful for those who really have been looking for the ultimate looping device...

5. Jarick

Jarick Member

I felt the Gigboard when I tried it out also felt kind of clunky and incomplete, like a beta version. I didn't have much faith they would improve so it got returned. Bummer to hear. Support is critical for success.

wcfields likes this.
  6. IanEric.com

IanEric.com Member

Yup. If it was a better device, the $900 price tag would be fine in my opinion. I'm ok with spending good money for good gear. But it's not even close at this point. It's definitely a very poorly-executed attempt at the "ultimate" looping solution. Too much basic stuff is missing or botched. We'll see if perhaps theres an "MkII" version down the line that delivers the goods. Right now, I'll be sticking to my "ancient" RC300.

Johnny Ninefingers and Elantric like this.
  7. toomanyamps

toomanyamps Member

For the size and price it needs to have at least 3/4 of the Headrush modeling capability, not just a few mediocre effects.

8. ejecta

ejecta Member

Yeah but the touchscreen.... that’s a game changer.

Madmax25 and Dan Desy like this.
  9. Dude705

Dude705 Member

Just curious, but have you watched any of the videos on the YouTube HeadRush channel? I don’t own one, but I did watch some of the videos and seem to think that they touched on some of the items you mentioned...

sigitar and sixesandsevens like this.
  10. Lord N

Lord N Member

:anon

mikah912 and JiveTurkey like this.
  11. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Wow.

Just looked up this unit locally - $1,900!

12. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

Bro?

ccouch7 likes this.
  13. Frank Ritchotte

Frank Ritchotte Silver Supporting Member

Note to self: contact @IanEric.com when we look to do advanced looper stuff.

14. Jarick

Jarick Member

Yes, support is key. That is the issue with smaller players in the market. They have to be outstanding in support and very responsive because they don't have the resources and consumer trust. Just having some cool ideas or unique features won't be enough to truly compete. Without the support, customers will never buy in.

15. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

Well, inMusic isn't exactly a small company... I don't think they have many people working for the Headrush brand, but I don't think it's because of lack of resources. You can interpret however you want I guess. I have a few theories myself...

16. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

After reading your post all I can say is the RC300 requires a SERIOUS look when I am ready to start acoustic solo gigs!

mbenigni likes this.
  17. odourboy

odourboy Member

I think there's a product manager out there looking for a new job. :oops:

18. mattrowe

mattrowe Member

If you're looking to hit a home run with advanced looper functionality, contact @Andre LaFosse and @splatt

19. mattrowe

mattrowe Member

20. eoengineer

eoengineer Supporting Member

Wow I’ve never seen so many TGPers in agreement.

Too soon.

[​IMG]

FPFL, Alex Kenivel and mbenigni like this.