Headrush MX5

mac jones

Tony can be polarizing. Take care.

Btw, chip has balls. I can stack lots of stuff, along with a pitch shifter (as an octave which works rather well), which can be very taxing, with no issues.

Last edited:

phil_m

Ow! My eye! I’m not supposed to get pudding in it!
Gold Supporting Member
i found this comment interesting>

Allan Pape
12 hours ago
The Arm processor is an old chip, as a sad nerd i found the following-: The Rockchip RK3288 is an ARM architecture System on Chip (SoC) from Rockchip. It is the first SoC, in August 2014, that uses the 32-bit ARM Cortex-A17 processor. It is a quad-core processor with a NEON coprocessor and hardware acceleration for video and 3D graphics. It is used in a number of Chromebooks and other low-power, low-performance devices The last few words say it all! it seems hard to believe that after all these years we are still using the Arm processor. I agree regarding the jack sockets, they will make you swear trying to replace them. The lack of an app, and trying to use that touch screen will be a nightmare. I think your rating of 6 out of 10 is about right, to my ears it sounded thin with a harsh edge to it.
No one will ever accuse me of being a Headrush fan, but this stuff about the processor is really neither here nor there… The only thing is makes some difference in is in the latency, and that’s just related to the chip architecture more than anything else.

Evilution

No one will ever accuse me of being a Headrush fan, but this stuff about the processor is really neither here nor there… The only thing is makes some difference in is in the latency, and that’s just related to the chip architecture more than anything else.
Yeah, there is to much focus on the processor in these things, what matters is what it can do and how good it sounds and while its great to have a powerful processor its certainly isnt any guarantee for the device being any good in itself, its mainly down to the programming/effectiveness of the code and when it comes to sound devices a big part is always down to the ears of the designers.

Personally i mostly mentioned the processor since it seemed to me they were doing well with a processor that must be fairly cheap.

the swede

me too...people who dont like him are fan bois of whatever he reviews and says bad things about.
I don't like him or any of his videos, that makes me a fan of everything! Yay!
No, he's just emblematic of someone with just enough information to make non-information sound like information.
Exactly. My guess is that its what he is interested in mostly. He is genuinely interested in those things he talk about. But its sad and not helping him or his videos that he displays himself like a "mr know it all, know it best", while giggling and laughing at his own comments. Minus the laughs/jokes/giggling.... he reminds me of someone on this forum with a very strong personality :p

Edit: mx-5 related.
Still found no problems with the looper.... threw stuff at it last night, ambient swells, changing preset, overdubbing. The limit seem to be when my bad playing makes it sound like ****.

Last edited:

Playa

that processor is newer, more modern and quite possibly more powerful than whatever is inside those 10 years old Kempers, so there's that
Frankly speaking, Kemper is not a modeler. A good modern modeling unit (let's remember Fractals, QC) does have a powerful processor.
Internally Headrush is a kind of a linux PC. That's, for example, a reason for a significant larger latency compared to, say, Helix.
But all magic is inside modeling algorithms. If they are optimized and good enough, then we will have a solid modeler.

Frankly speaking, Kemper is not a modeler. A good modern modeling unit (let's remember Fractals, QC) does have a powerful processor.
But they also do much more work (parallel paths, etc.), but in principle I agree. It's just that the fact that the processor is from the year 2014 and it's ARM doesn't mean it's too slow (or that the unit is bad).

Internally Headrush is a kind of a linux PC. That's, for example, a reason for a significant larger latency compared to, say, Helix.
That's might be true, but that's not really a fault of the chip in use, no? They could've put latest and greatest ARM chip there and it would be the same if the OS is not right (not to mention other aspects, like the DAC they're using)

Evilution

that processor is newer, more modern and quite possibly more powerful than whatever is inside those 10 years old Kempers, so there's that

The MX5 processor is definately newer at least, that doesnt necessarily mean its more powerful though, i havent looked into it so i couldnt tell and as i stated in my earlier post i dont think its the most important thing at all regarding a unit like this, which Kemper may be an indication of since they have used the same hardware for 10 years or so.

The MX5 processor is definately newer at least, that doesnt necessarily mean its more powerful though, i havent looked into it so i couldnt tell and as i stated in my earlier post i dont think its the most important thing at all regarding a unit like this, which Kemper may be an indication of since they have used the same hardware for 10 years or so.
100% agree

Toby Krebs

Looper works great.I used it a little last night before rehearsal.No pops clicks etc…if your having problems it’s probably because you’re overloading the input.Each rig input should be set to -20db
MX5 killed at rehearsal.Les Paul/SG/Dano 12 string Vox tones etc…all there in spades through a Headrush FRFR speaker and nice PA.Many former Fractal/Helix guys here in my area are discovering Gigboard from watching my live gigs with it.It’s a money making keeper.

the swede

Looper works great.I used it a little last night before rehearsal.No pops clicks etc…if your having problems it’s probably because you’re overloading the input.Each rig input should be set to -20db
MX5 killed at rehearsal.Les Paul/SG/Dano 12 string Vox tones etc…all there in spades through a Headrush FRFR speaker and nice PA.Many former Fractal/Helix guys here in my area are discovering Gigboard from watching my live gigs with it.It’s a money making keeper.
Hold on here mate… the input thing. You mean the input ”block” settings. You lower the input gain to -20db? Why not the output gain? Lower input gain would have a impact on how the amp response right?

so far i have only used it at 0db. And thats maybe why i feel the mx5 is super loud compared to my HX stomp. I did notice that when recording the meter in logic was touching on yellow/red wich is an indication of to hot recording.

Toby Krebs

Set the input level of each patch to -20 db so you can’t clip the front end.Makes the Headrush units work properly for most pickups.I don’t use hot pickups and I set them low for lower string pull.

Toby Krebs

Another advantage to Headrush is being able to set input gain per patch.The L6 auto etc…settings thing doesn’t work well.Headrush got this part right although the chip set in it sucks and is from 2014.Any guitar players using pickups or pedals previous to 2014 please consider updating those please.Thank You.

timbuck2

zoom has been using the same components for years in the g5 to g11. i was just hoping the mx5 had "better" tones and effects then the other headrushes.They arent aweful but not stellar to me.(opinion)

rjwilson49

Mine is out for delivery right now, I hope it gets here soon so I can mess around with it a bunch before the Wife comes home. I really don't care about all the chip stuff that guy was talking about, as long as I can get it work well for me, that is all that matters. I liked a lot of the tones people got on the Youtube videos, especially the tone Chappers was getting here on the Pedalboard video, which the MX5 should sound and do pretty close to the same.

(1) Headrush Guitar Multi FX Pedalboard with Touch Screen! - YouTube

Last edited:

timbuck2

Mine is out for delivery right now, I hope it gets here soon so I can mess around with it a bunch before the Wife comes home. I really don't care about all the chip stuff that guy was talking about, as long as I can get it work well for me, that is all that matters. I liked a lot of the tones people got on the Youtube videos, especially the tone Chappers was getting here on the Pedalboard video, which the MX5 should sound and do pretty close to the same.

(1) Headrush Guitar Multi FX Pedalboard with Touch Screen! - YouTube
I agree with you. its the subjective opinion of tones/effects that really matter to each individual. I agree the headrush looper is very strong in all the units vs the competition for those into long looping times.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom