Headrush MX5

ChieFender

Tone heretic
Silver Supporting Member
I use the headphone jack on the Headrush. You can monitor everything through the Headrush.
Most excellent. I read in the manual that you could, was just wondering if it introduced latency. Sounds like the latency is not an issue for you. Very pleased to hear this.

Tentative plan: I'm gonna give this a go, start with the MX5 and if it's a winner then I'll start unloading some pedals and invest in an iPad Air.

Thank you for the prompt responses!

TopJimmy5150

Most excellent. I read in the manual that you could, was just wondering if it introduced latency. Sounds like the latency is not an issue for you. Very pleased to hear this.

Tentative plan: I'm gonna give this a go, start with the MX5 and if it's a winner then I'll start unloading some pedals and invest in an iPad Air.

Thank you for the prompt responses!

I have a fairly new iPad Pro and it works great.

timbuck2

thanx thats a good thing...i think on the nux mg30 you cannot do that? I have been thinking that this tech gear is kinda a poor investment as things change so quick and often so maybe 1600+tax and ship on the fm9 is wayyyyyyyy overkill and not worth the $$$ in the end as they will come with an axefx4 and such likely in 2022 and a new helix will drop and so on. Dropping 299(nux mg30) or 399(mx5) is alot less painfull and pretty much disposable after a few years using it and of course newer stuff will be out. Yea i am a cheap bastard but i am just looking for a unit to work with headphones and sound great and be loud enough this way as well as if i want to use the 4cable method to my tube amp i can in stereo..or direct record usb and use a looper that has more then 45 seconds of stereo looping...manybe this is the ticket.? i know i have dissed on headrush because i still wonder why they have not evolved the 11r tweaked model any further in 5 yrs or so as well as more effects but maybe whats in it is versatile enough for ambient guitar stuff? I play mostly clean to crunch and just breaking up stuff to ballsy leads so maybe its all in there.I dont chug or do metal so the super saturated tones arent my thing really so not a priority. I seriously only seem to like the basics amps wise like - chimey ac30 with hair on it- marshally crunch like plexi- cleanish fender to tweedy gruff tones...my fav amp is the trainwreck but cant afford one...as it gets sparkley clean yet spanky and very ballsy if overdriven.
Anyhow just some thoughts. I plan on buying something to get me thru the next 5-6 yrs of playing. the older stuff i use still sounds great for my needs but just wanted to step up to something new.

Last edited:

Zacflame

Timbuck
I think you will like the headrush, its not as lush as the axe 3, which is what i have, it is not as sizzly as the boss gt, which is what i have. But that is the whole reason to like it.

Most of the modlers have that over saturated sound that doesnt interest you. It has a great plexi, it has really nice sounding clean sounds. Its nice not to scroll through menus. Its nice not having to be hooked to a computer.

It does not sound as good as the axe3, it sounds as good as the boss, but a different timbre. It sound better than the helix, which i have/ have had.

It sounds better with ir's, it is extremly easy to use. The price is hard to beat. The drop tune pedal works excellent.

I have no experience with kemper, but hopefully that will change, or with quad core. So i cant judge those, only thru you tube, which can be very misleading.

If i relied on you tube headrush clips i never would have bought one.

This is what my ears tell me. Yours maybe different. Good luck

Toby Krebs

thanx thats a good thing...i think on the nux mg30 you cannot do that? I have been thinking that this tech gear is kinda a poor investment as things change so quick and often so maybe 1600+tax and ship on the fm9 is wayyyyyyyy overkill and not worth the $$$ in the end as they will come with an axefx4 and such likely in 2022 and a new helix will drop and so on. Dropping 299(nux mg30) or 399(mx5) is alot less painfull and pretty much disposable after a few years using it and of course newer stuff will be out. Yea i am a cheap bastard but i am just looking for a unit to work with headphones and sound great and be loud enough this way as well as if i want to use the 4cable method to my tube amp i can in stereo..or direct record usb and use a looper that has more then 45 seconds of stereo looping...manybe this is the ticket.? i know i have dissed on headrush because i still wonder why they have not evolved the 11r tweaked model any further in 5 yrs or so as well as more effects but maybe whats in it is versatile enough for ambient guitar stuff? I play mostly clean to crunch and just breaking up stuff to ballsy leads so maybe its all in there.I dont chug or do metal so the super saturated tones arent my thing really so not a priority. I seriously only seem to like the basics amps wise like - chimey ac30 with hair on it- marshally crunch like plexi- cleanish fender to tweedy gruff tones...my fav amp is the trainwreck but cant afford one...as it gets sparkley clean yet spanky and very ballsy if overdriven.
Anyhow just some thoughts. I plan on buying something to get me thru the next 5-6 yrs of playing. the older stuff i use still sounds great for my needs but just wanted to step up to something new.

Just buy a used clean Deluxe Reverb and a tube screamer.
Is ambient when you play a major/minor triad and your reverb/delay effects sustain it for for 5 minutes?

I use modelers for convenience.I play 4-6 one nighters every week.No time for tubes.But at my rehearsal/recording space it’s all tube amps and real pedals.
Get the tools that fit the job.

timbuck2

Timbuck
I think you will like the headrush, its not as lush as the axe 3, which is what i have, it is not as sizzly as the boss gt, which is what i have. But that is the whole reason to like it.

Most of the modlers have that over saturated sound that doesnt interest you. It has a great plexi, it has really nice sounding clean sounds. Its nice not to scroll through menus. Its nice not having to be hooked to a computer.

It does not sound as good as the axe3, it sounds as good as the boss, but a different timbre. It sound better than the helix, which i have/ have had.

It sounds better with ir's, it is extremly easy to use. The price is hard to beat. The drop tune pedal works excellent.

I have no experience with kemper, but hopefully that will change, or with quad core. So i cant judge those, only thru you tube, which can be very misleading.

If i relied on you tube headrush clips i never would have bought one.

This is what my ears tell me. Yours maybe different. Good luck
thanx...i had the helix and returned it as it was harsh to my ears and thin. I like dimension in the tones and girth but not muddiness-icepik-squerrels or heavy mids(blanket on the amp tones). I know you can crank the tone control or presence but i dint like riging those full tilt to get crispy/chimey because it takes away from the girth-yea even clean tones can have girth.

ChieFender

Tone heretic
Silver Supporting Member
Has anyone made sense of the distinction between a cab's Out Gain vs Amp Gain? Does this interact with the To Amp Gain alternate output? Also, why would one use Rig Input as their alternate output? The answers to these probably aren't crucial to my decision to buy an MX5, but I was puzzled by these concepts after reading the manual. (The rest of it was very straightforward though, I like that.)

timbuck2

is there a stereo ping pong delay? i didnt see it in the effcts list or a multi delay..i mean these are basic.

Last edited:

rjwilson49

If you want something inexpensive to use with good versatility, great tones, endless possibilities and sounds really good with headphones, through speakers or an Amp, then this a great choice. You can stack Mods, Reverbs, Delays and have a lot of choices for Amps, Cabs, input/output.

the swede

is there a stereo ping pong delay? i didnt see it in the effcts list or a multi delay..i mean these are basic.
There are several “presets” within the Air Delay (wich is a plug-in based effect) that are stereo ping pong. But… even though there are many stereo things, the headrush doesn’t include much control of the stereo field as Helix does. For example, helix stereo effects often has a spread parameter and other parameters to tailor the stereo effects. In headrush we basically only have the “width” parameter that is located in the output block. But, there is still much available to manage a stereo field in headrush with the signal chain options and so on.. but the effects themselves does not have the same tweakability as many Helix effects.
personaly I like the “presets inside effects” approach that headrush has. Some effects really seem to be like good plugins.

It’s much faster and easier for me to find sounds I like by just scrolling through the presets inside an effect and then maybe change a parameter and save it to my own preset. But so far I haven’t even saved my own. I like the presets they’ve done inside the effects.

Edit and side note: the drives… does anyone feel the drives are waaaay to loud??? I need to set their level down to 5-10% to get down to a normal level with amp. Especially when using a clean amp. But that may be so with real pedals also :D I just haven’t used real pedals in a while so maybe I forget these things.

rjwilson49

You can talk to your Sweetwater rep and ask for a discount, especially since it's labor day coming up. I got $25 off mine, so not a full 10%, but still $25 in my pocket and not paying full price.

CBHTele

Silver Supporting Member
Ordered. Will be here tomorrow, and just in time for a week off to mess with it!

ixnay

You can talk to your Sweetwater rep and ask for a discount, especially since it's labor day coming up. I got $25 off mine, so not a full 10%, but still $25 in my pocket and not paying full price.

Sounds about typical from SW. You should be able to get 15% at MF with their Labor Day coupon. Most other places should do at least 15% as well.

mac jones

That MF coupon is not store-wide, and the MX5 isn't listed. Maybe if you call. I remember the days when GC hade store-wide sales of up to half off regularly. I guess they where optimistic about growth.

Zacflame

GC wouldnt budge on mx5, sweetwater did. I tried good music store bad music store. But i was defeated.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom