Headrush MX5

timbuck2

anyone compare the zoom g6 to the mx5? one glaring thing is g6 has no stereo effects loop. I have a cdr70 i like in effects loops..its stereo so i would want a stereo loop..

FROM A THREAD ON THE ZOOM G6..NOT MY TEXT>> IS THE MX5 THE SAME?
"Anything before the cab will be rendered to mono anyway, by the fact that the cab is mono.
So, any stereo fx need to be placed after the cab to retain stereo.
Most things in the loop would go before the cab?"

the swede

Yes. It is. Its a cool feature. Doesnt feel natural or realistic, but it is cool. I wish they could include a mono/stereo parameter in the relevant effects.

I admit though that i just made a preset with reverb and delay before the amp and forced it to be mono…. Because sometimes thats exactly what i want :D

Sunburst71

Silver Supporting Member
Question for the folks who have the MX5 - how would you rate it as a multi-effect unit going into a tube amp? I'm mainly looking for good quality basics (delay, reverb, chorus, phase and flange) for live use. Thanks.

rjwilson49

Question for the folks who have the MX5 - how would you rate it as a multi-effect unit going into a tube amp? I'm mainly looking for good quality basics (delay, reverb, chorus, phase and flange) for live use. Thanks.
I have mine right in front of my Tube amp, and it sounds/works great. You don't have to use amps/cabs and can use it just as a pedal board for all your effects. I love the clean tone from my tube amp and wanted something just like this where I could have a large choice for amps/cabs as well as effects. Plus this can download other peoples rigs and IR's, so the possibilities are endless.

Sunburst71

Silver Supporting Member
I have mine right in front of my Tube amp, and it sounds/works great. You don't have to use amps/cabs and can use it just as a pedal board for all your effects. I love the clean tone from my tube amp and wanted something just like this where I could have a large choice for amps/cabs as well as effects. Plus this can download other peoples rigs and IR's, so the possibilities are endless.

Thanks, that's what I'm looking for

Playa

Yes. It is. Its a cool feature. Doesn't feel natural or realistic, but it is cool. I wish they could include a mono/stereo parameter in the relevant effects.
Please add/vote as a feature request on the https://headrushforum.com/
Unfortunately, you have to sign up there even for reading messages.
BTW I've already put it as a request right there https://headrushforum.com/t/a-feature-request-to-add-stereo-mixing-control-for-2x-modules/10110/3
But it looks like HeadRush Staff didn't properly understand it. Also no one even voted for the feature.
I suppose that all our requests should be added there, not on TGP, as HR staff doesn't read TGP.

pompeii0

I am probable going to get an MX5 in the near future but since Headrush doesn't have a Dubmle style amp, what is everyone using for their Dumble tones?

the swede

I am probable going to get an MX5 in the near future but since Headrush doesn't have a Dubmle style amp, what is everyone using for their Dumble tones?
We dont, because there is no such model. There are alot of fender breakup stuff though. I guess you could tweak yourself into the typical dumble ods territory with some of the amps and drives and maybe a eq block. I don’t even try… because it’s such a rarity of amp to begin with. If I wanted a true dumble model I’d look at a profile for kemper… does fractal have a dumble? Modeled from a dumble amp?

guitarobert

Just got mine and had a chance to play for a bit and gather some first impressions. The hardware quality is superb. The encoder knob feels sturdy and has a nice click feel, as well as detents as you turn it. The switches feel excellent and the expression pedal is solid. Looks like this unit will hold up physically very well. The unit is also smaller in person than it seemed to be from pictures.

The on-device UI is excellent. Of all the modelers I have the MX5 has the best on-device UI, and compared to some others it's by a long shot. It's easy to move components around, dragging them to swap their positions, etc. And the combination of being able to use the touchscreen or encoder knob works very well. While the touchscreen is excellent, you can fly around the controls by using the encoder knob. It has exactly the behavior I wish Fractal would implement on their large knob. I didn't dive into the hands-free editing mode using the footswitches, but it looks to be well executed for a quick edit without bending down to the floor. Can’t emphasize enough how good this UI is.

The IR management system is also very nice. On USB the MX5 shows up as a drive on your computer. Simply copy the files over in their folders and the folders show up as banks of IRs in the dropdown menu. My only minor gripe is that all IRs are aggregated into the highest level folder they are copied into. So if I copy all of them as subfolders of the User folder (/User/York Audio, /User/Ownhammer, …), on the device they all get grouped into the single “User” bank on the MX5. So I instead copied my vendor folders into the highest level MX5 IR folder, and then they show as separate vendor banks on it (“York Audio”, “Ownhammer”, …). No big deal, and still far better than other modelers that list all IRs flat without grouping them into banks.

Tones. I’m still familiarizing myself with it, but the early impression is that there are excellent tones in it. For cleans through mid-gain I’m finding tones I’m very happy with. For heavy tones, at first I found the amps to be too “squishy”. But after adding a TS model in front, I could get something more satisfyingly biting. The heavy amp model offerings are also on the light side, with only the Rectifier, SLO, and 5150 as high gain models. I usually reach for a Friedman BE/HBE in modelers and it’s not here. So the included high gain amps may simply not be my tonal preference. But with a TS and the JCM800 model I got something closer to what I was looking for.

I was looking for a very portable unit with an easy-to-use on-device UI. Main use is for practice around the house and elsewhere with headphones or small speakers. And maybe more? The MX5 delivers in spades with its fantastic UI, great tones, and small size. Didn’t initially want an expression pedal, so I think an “MX3” without an expression pedal could be interesting, but I may find a love for the expression pedal. Either way, the size of the unit overall is still plenty small. The price point is excellent, and it punches well above its weight class in that regard. If Headrush adds amps or updates it’s modeling further this will be an even better unit. I’ll keep playing with it and at some point will dive deeper into A/Bing its tones with other modelers.

the swede

My first recorded stuff with the mx5. Recorded directly into Logic. Signal chain is simple: Tangerine ch2->IR York Orange->BBD delay (mono sync)->Eleven Reverb (cathedral)->Ambiverb (long). Had the expression set to the mix of the ambiverb so I turned it down during the strummed part then back up for the end. Reverse part was in the looper.

CBHTele

Silver Supporting Member
So I got mine yesterday, and gave it a whirl this morning. Going into the front end of a tube amp, and with an effects-only rig, I am finding a rather significant amount of tone suck, even when all effects are off. Made sure the output is set to Amp, and also that global EQ is off.

Any ideas where I may be missing something? I didn’t have this issue with the HX Stomp.

I got this mostly for the simple effects, but also as a portable headphone/monitor rig (where first impressions are not that great, either).

Toby Krebs

Spend some time with it.Why did you dump the Stomp if it didn’t suck tone? Running an electric guitar through a bunch of real pedals will suck tone too.Maybe you’re a straight into the amp player?Modeling can be problematic for tone purists.I understand that.I like the sound of my George Benson Archtop into clean Fender amp.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom