Headrush MX5

guitarobert

Also, just to confirm, when i choose these in the MX5 using the Custom ir block, they are waaay louder than the stock Headrush cabs. This is normal? (I've searched and read a thread here that it is...)
I’m seeing the same. I thought it was mentioned somewhere that they acknowledged this as an issue and will fix it. Not sure. For now I adjust the gain inside the IR block.

alex mansman

Ok, I can confirm, MX5 USB ir transfer works fine with MAC OSX 10.6.8. Sweet. Uh oh, rabbit hole. Lol

For Leon Todd's free ir's do I choose the LT Atomic 48-24-1024 ?

And, for York Audio and Celestion etc do I choose 48K?

Also, just to confirm, when i choose these in the MX5 using the Custom ir block, they are waaay louder than the stock Headrush cabs. This is normal? (I've searched and read a thread here that it is...)

It doesn't matter which ones you download as long as they're .wav files. I'd just get the LT TV Mix 7 from the first page of his Dropbox and also the 3 files in the Leon Todd original IRs folder.

IRs are usually always louder than stock cabs.

Chimey

It doesn't matter which ones you download as long as they're .wav files. I'd just get the LT TV Mix 7 from the first page of his Dropbox and also the 3 files in the Leon Todd original IRs folder.

IRs are usually always louder than stock cabs.

Thanks Alex! I already transferred the LT TV Mix 7 and the 3 files from Leon Todd's Atomic 48-24-1024 folder - they should sound the same as the original IR folder then....I hope, right?

I’m seeing the same. I thought it was mentioned somewhere that they acknowledged this as an issue and will fix it. Not sure. For now I adjust the gain inside the IR block.

I found the thread below regarding ir's being louder than stock cabs: people say this is normal and they have to manually adjust IR's by -18db when using the POD GO too. And, in the Helix someone says the default IR value is -18db to match the stock cabs.

So, it seems it's an IR thing not a Headrush thing - although Helix has apparently adjusted default values accordingly, which would be nice in the MX5, since I tested them with headphones on and blasted my ears a bit...

alex mansman

Thanks Alex! I already transferred the LT TV Mix 7 and the 3 files from Leon Todd's Atomic 48-24-1024 folder - they should sound the same as the original IR folder then....I hope, right?

I found the thread below regarding ir's being louder than stock cabs: people say this is normal and they have to manually adjust IR's by -18db when using the POD GO too. And, in the Helix someone says the default IR value is -18db to match the stock cabs.

So, it seems it's an IR thing not a Headrush thing - although Helix has apparently adjusted default values accordingly, which would be nice in the MX5, since I tested them with headphones on and blasted my ears a bit...

Yes those IRs will sound the same. You can accomplish a -18dB default in the HR by loading up an IR, setting thr volume as desired and then saving that as a preset. Then when you load new IRs into any rig pick that preset instead of "default".

the swede

Yes those IRs will sound the same. You can accomplish a -18dB default in the HR by loading up an IR, setting thr volume as desired and then saving that as a preset. Then when you load new IRs into any rig pick that preset instead of "default".
But. And here is the Headrush thing. The amp blocks does not have a ”channel volume” thats there to adjust the output level of the amp block (like helix has) so the problem is evident when going from a rig with a clean amp model to a rig with a louder driving amp model. Then we have to either adjust the IR block again and/or save a new IR preset with level set to -5 or -0 db. Alternatively save the rig with higher output level in the output block.

it would be a lot easier to maintain a preferred level across all rigs if there was a “mixer” type volume control on the amps.

Playa

But. And here is the Headrush thing. The amp blocks does not have a ”channel volume” thats there to adjust the output level of the amp block (like helix has) so the problem is evident when going from a rig with a clean amp model to a rig with a louder driving amp model.
Yes, it also can be added as a feature request on Headrush Forums ;)

Also I use an EQ block after an AMP with everything, but level, at zero.
One can make a few presets for boosting/lowering the level.
Then, using scenes, assigned to switches, one can switch channels on an amp with adjusting the rig volume. To boost the rig level for solos, for example.
I.e. I usually adjust IR levels to slightly lower values, and then the overall level can be raised with an EQ on the fly.

uburoibob

Treehugger, both in the forest and with strings.
Silver Supporting Member

When I first started tweaking my Helix and adding IR blocks, I had to decrease their gain by -11 to -18 dB. That made them work. Seems to be the same for MX-5.

zestystrat

I'm a total noob to the modeler world and I've been keeping up with this thread for the most part so apologies if it's been asked before:

When recording with MX5, is there an option to record the track dry AND with the amp/cab/fx/IRs. So if I liked the performance but decided later that I didn't like the amp choices I made within the MX5 I'd have an option to keep the performance but changes?

uburoibob

Silver Supporting Member
I'm a total noob to the modeler world and I've been keeping up with this thread for the most part so apologies if it's been asked before:

When recording with MX5, is there an option to record the track dry AND with the amp/cab/fx/IRs. So if I liked the performance but decided later that I didn't like the amp choices I made within the MX5 I'd have an option to keep the performance but changes?

I am new too, but I think this is called RE-AMPING, and I saw that listed in some of the capabilities of the MX-5, so I BELIEVE it can be done.

zestystrat

I am new too, but I think this is called RE-AMPING, and I saw that listed in some of the capabilities of the MX-5, so I BELIEVE it can be done.

Thx for the reply.

I’ve done that in a studio: recorded direct, had amp sims in my headphones and later sent the dry signal to a mic’d up amp and recorded that.

But in this case, I’d like the dry signal and the rig to be recorded.

Maybe the answer is that it can be recorded dry, but the headphone out will have the rig. Then you can reamp….no idea.

Toby Krebs

I used the little MX5 last night at a large motorcycle event with my variety trio and it killed.Opened with Stratus.Played funk/rock/blues/dance etc…used a player series tele and Strat.The geetar players in attendance could not believe the quality of the direct tones.MX5 kicks Boo Tay!!!

uburoibob

Silver Supporting Member
Thx for the reply.

I’ve done that in a studio: recorded direct, had amp sims in my headphones and later sent the dry signal to a mic’d up amp and recorded that.

But in this case, I’d like the dry signal and the rig to be recorded.

Maybe the answer is that it can be recorded dry, but the headphone out will have the rig. Then you can reamp….no idea.

I just poked around a bit and found this in the manual. Hope it helps!

USB
You can use the HeadRush MX5’s USB connection to your computer for Recording (to a digital audio workstation [DAW]), Reamping, or Transferring Files & Settings (e.g., rigs, setlists, presets, etc.).

Recording
When the HeadRush MX5’s USB port is connected to your computer, you can select and use the HeadRush MX5 as a 24-bit audio interface, enabling you to play audio through it or to send its audio signal to the computer. It can use sample rates of 48 kHz or 96 kHz.

To use the HeadRush MX5 as an audio interface with your computer, open your computer’s Control Panel (Windows®) or System Preferences (macOS®), open its sound/audio settings, and select HeadRush MX5 as the device for recording/input and/or for playback/output.

The HeadRush MX5 can send four separate audio signal channels to your computer. Before recording the HeadRush MX5’s audio signal into your digital audio workstation (DAW), select the channel/channels you want to record:
1: the left channel of the master outputs with all active effects applied.
2: the right channel of the master outputs with all active effects applied.
3: a mono channel of the guitar input with no effects applied.
4: identical audio signal to 3.

The HeadRush MX5 can receive four separate audio signal channels from your computer. The channels are named and routed as follows:
1: the left channel of your computer’s output audio signal, which will be sent directly out of the HeadRush MX5’s master outputs and phones output.
2: the right channel of your computer’s output audio signal, which will be sent directly out of the HeadRush MX5’s master outputs and phones output.
3: a mono channel of your computer’s audio signal, which will be sent back through the HeadRush MX5 (see Reamping below).
4: not used in this scenario.

Important: Remember to set your DAW’s master outputs to be sent to 1/2.

To use the HeadRush MX5 to reamp an audio signal:
  1. In your DAW, make sure HeadRush MX5 is selected as your audio interface for both recording/input and
    playback/output.
  2. Assign the output of the desired track to 3.
  3. On the HeadRush MX5, tap the  button in the upper-right corner of the screen, and tap Global Settings.
  4. In the Global Settings screen, tap Reamp next to USB Mode.
    Also, make sure the Sample Rate is set to the same sample rate as the one in your DAW. To change the Sample Rate, set USB Audio to Off first, select the correct sample rate, set USB Audio to On again, and restart your DAW.
  5. In your DAW again, create a new audio track and assign its input. For a stereo input signal, select 1/2. For a mono input signal, select 1.
  6. Locate the point in your track where you want to start reamping.
  7. On the HeadRush MX5, select the rig, models, or other parameters to achieve the sound you want.
  8. In your DAW, start audio recording. The track you want to reamp will be sent through the HeadRush MX5 and recorded into the audio track you created earlier.

Last edited:

the swede

Yes.

what i do is that I keep the mx5 in “live” mode. This lets me record the usb channels (3 for Di and 1+2 for the full rig in stereo). This lets me record without monitoring the tracks in daw, I monitor the mx5 from its outputs to speakers, or the headphone. This lets me record without latency, and still allows the daw to pass through other tracks, like drums or whatever. The mx5 is acting like an audio interface so it will play whatever I have going on in the daw.

then when I have done that, if i want to reamp that di track, I switch the mx5 to “re-amp” mode. This disables it’s guitar input and in daw I set up the di track to send to the mx5 and then make a new track that records the rig and whatever changes I want to make.

Playa

Yes.
what i do is that I keep the mx5 in “live” mode.
Exactly, as I do.
Actually, I have the HR GB, but I believe it doesn't matter. For me HR has noticeable latency in DAW mode. I think it doesn't make sense to use it as an audio interface, for example, to be used with VST in direct playing. I always record in Live mode with 3 tracks (Stereo 1/2 pair, and 3 for DI). It's so easy to re-amp DI track with HR, or to use DI tracks with VST plugins.

4inchjones

I just got this unit last week and have been tweaking happily since. I'm finding little idiosyncrasies regarding the levels of certain things like the distortions. I have a Bassman patch set up to be a bit on the hairy side. I added an OCD block that I want to set to unity with the clean amp when engaged, and I find that the level of the pedal has to be around 4% volume! Seems like most of the distortion models are way hotter than they need to be. I have my inputs set to just below 0, so it's getting just enough signal. I use custom IRs but I've got them at around -5 dB. I wonder if I'm not setting up amp levels ideally or something. Regardless, it sounds good, I just wonder if I'm missing out on some nuance of the distortion model by having the levels set so low.

zestystrat

Yes.

what i do is that I keep the mx5 in “live” mode. This lets me record the usb channels (3 for Di and 1+2 for the full rig in stereo). This lets me record without monitoring the tracks in daw, I monitor the mx5 from its outputs to speakers, or the headphone. This lets me record without latency, and still allows the daw to pass through other tracks, like drums or whatever. The mx5 is acting like an audio interface so it will play whatever I have going on in the daw.

then when I have done that, if i want to reamp that di track, I switch the mx5 to “re-amp” mode. This disables it’s guitar input and in daw I set up the di track to send to the mx5 and then make a new track that records the rig and whatever changes I want to make.

This is perfect! Thx so much!

Jielde

Hello everybody,

New Headrush mx5 received today but screen is freezing and unit is rebooting every 5 minutes...
I am starting to be desperate with the unit and I cannot find anything to reset to factory or to download the latest firmware (nothing found in the headrush website...only usb driver and manuals...)

Can somebody help?

Thanks (very!) much in advance:rolleyes:

Jielde

Well... now this is impossible to even start the unit.... It stay bloqued on the "MX5" starting screen...

I have NEVER seen such a defective unit in my entire life as a guitarist...

So disappointed!

I will have to send it back to Thomann... I am seriously thinking if I try a new one or if I give up...

timbuck2

Well... now this is impossible to even start the unit.... It stay bloqued on the "MX5" starting screen...

I have NEVER seen such a defective unit in my entire life as a guitarist...

So disappointed!

I will have to send it back to Thomann... I am seriously thinking if I try a new one or if I give up...
bummer....Every compnay has some lemons for sure but i too wouldnt be happy with that at all.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom