Headrush MX5

m0b1liz3

I just had a look at the current effects offered on Headrush. It seems like the flanger, phaser, chorus etc are not stereo? Do people add individual blocks to L/R if they want stereo modulation? And there is no tremolo effect at all??? Is it built in to some of the amp models?

Captainruss

Platinum Supporting Member
It's way easier on the MX5. You drag down the top title bar where it displays the current song preset (called "rigs" in HR lingo) and boom you can see the entire list, just like you would on a touch phone. It even has a search bar where you can start typing and it will shortlist the ones that match the term you are typing.

Cool, but what if you’re a lazy git like me during a gig and don’t want to bend over?

Fireheart7

Dammit! Been trying to avoid buying one of these things but one showed up used on guitar centers site and the price was too good to pass up. I will A/B it with my PodGo for a week or two and see which one survives.

One thing I haven’t seen on the MX5 is the ability to easily scroll through and find song presets. For instance, on the PodGo I just hit mode and find the song preset I need and hit it, it seems like the MX5 you need to scroll up and down until you find it. Am I wrong on that? My band doesn’t always follow setlists so I need to be able to call presets up on the fly.
There is a search bar. If you name them a certain way, it might take 2 clicks to go to a patch.

alex mansman

I just had a look at the current effects offered on Headrush. It seems like the flanger, phaser, chorus etc are not stereo? Do people add individual blocks to L/R if they want stereo modulation? And there is no tremolo effect at all??? Is it built in to some of the amp models?

Not sure if those effects are stereo capable, but there is definitely a tremolo pedal. And some amp models do have built in tremolo available and even thats assignable to footswitches or the expression pedal

kartikg3

It does have a tremolo block, based on a boss pedal. All the modulations are stereo, no matter where they are in the chain, which is very handy. They can also do mono. Some Amps also have tremolo built in.

m0b1liz3

It does have a tremolo block, based on a boss pedal. All the modulations are stereo, no matter where they are in the chain, which is very handy. They can also do mono. Some Amps also have tremolo built in.

Cool. When I was reading the description of the effects on the headrush site, it seemed like only the delay was stereo.

kartikg3

Cool. When I was reading the description of the effects on the headrush site, it seemed like only the delay was stereo.
All the effects that you'd expect to be in stereo are stereo. Ones like the bbd delay (memory man model) are not, because the real thing isnt, but that's expected.

the swede

Everything is super stereo, you will be working harder to get things to mono :D
Every modulation/reverb/delay you put before an amp or between amp and cab will be in stereo, if you dont go into the effect itself and choose a mono preset. Or you can make your whole chain mono by selecting that in the output block (stereo by default).

the effects in headrush can be seen as plugins kinda… to me they feel like plugins in the way they work. All effects have preset inside them with a list, and you can save your own presets to. Most reverbs and delays have various mono and stereo presets from factory.

this is a handy thing. I like to set up a Rat like I want to have it and none of the presets in the Rat have my settings, so i make my adjustments and save the preset as “my rat”. Now if I make a new rig with the rat I just drop in a rat and choose “my rat”.

alex mansman

Headrush was initially using old algorithms from plugins right? I wonder if someone could modify other plugins to run on it...

The Headrush is largely Avid plugins, but I wouldn't exactly call them old. A lot of people give the unit flack for the perception of re-used "old" algorithms when they see Eleven HD Expanded on the front, but most of what's in the HR was deconstructed and rebuilt from the ground up to modernize something that already sounded good to begin with.

Here's a small dev write up from HR that gives a few insights:

I don't care when code was written, just like I don't care how old or new a tube amp is. If it sounds good it is good.

zestystrat

After reading almost 1200 posts, asking questions on the thread, PMing a few members privately with questions, this vintage amp guy is taking the plunge.

Saw an open box on Zzounds and jumped on it. If I can't get it to where I'm happy using it live, I'll def figure out a way to record with it.

kartikg3

After reading almost 1200 posts, asking questions on the thread, PMing a few members privately with questions, this vintage amp guy is taking the plunge.

Saw an open box on Zzounds and jumped on it. If I can't get it to where I'm happy using it live, I'll def figure out a way to record with it.
Welcome to the HR community!

The Headrush is largely Avid plugins, but I wouldn't exactly call them old. A lot of people give the unit flack for the perception of re-used "old" algorithms when they see Eleven HD Expanded on the front, but most of what's in the HR was deconstructed and rebuilt from the ground up to modernize something that already sounded good to begin with.

Here's a small dev write up from HR that gives a few insights:

I don't care when code was written, just like I don't care how old or new a tube amp is. If it sounds good it is good.

Thanks for posting this, I never understood exactly what was meant by “Eleven HD Expanded”.

Last edited:

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
It's so weird to have stereo effects placed before the amp. I will say those don't seem to act like real pedals before an amp. But it is what it is.

I do wish all the effects would have stereo/mono toggles, and the path could be a little more flexible. I would like to be able to use stereo versions of the BBD/tape delays too.

Chimey

I got my replacement MX5 yesterday - played with it for probably a couple hours. The footswitches seem super solid so far - just used for turning on/off Tubescreamer/RAT/delay mostly - no glitches. So far, I'm very happy I opted to get another one. Sounds great and super fun. :)

And....I just ordered the York MRSH M25 4x12 ir pack so I'm about to dive into making me some Marshall rigs.

Altho, I thought the York Cream M65 and Mesa V30 2x12's sounded great with the Headrush J45 model last night, it'll be nice to compare. Ok, that's five York ir packs I think...I'm done for awhile. All bases covered - Fender, Vox, Marshall.

I should be able to cover both kinds of music now: Maiden AND Sabbath. Lol :D

Last edited:

alex mansman

I got my replacement MX5 yesterday - played with it for probably a couple hours. The footswitches seem super solid so far - just used for turning on/off Tubescreamer/RAT/delay mostly - no glitches. So far, I'm very happy I opted to get another one. Sounds great and super fun. :)

And....I just ordered the York MRSH M25 4x12 ir pack so I'm about to dive into making me some Marshall rigs.

Altho, I thought the York Cream M65 and Mesa V30 2x12's sounded great with the Headrush J45 model last night, it'll be nice to compare. Ok, that's five York ir packs I think...I'm done for awhile. All bases covered - Fender, Vox, Marshall.

I should be able to cover both kinds of music now: Maiden AND Sabbath. Lol :D

I love the J45 model. IMO it's the best all-rounder amp model on the unit for people that want to use 1 amp for clean and dirt plus heavy stuff with the right distortion/od pedal

trapik

Just wanted to report that I've been using the MX5 successfully as a platform for my dirt, preamp and overdrive pedals namely: Source Audio Kingmaker, JHS AT+ and Horizon Devices Apex Preamp. It's been handling the drives pretty well in front of the MX5 and will try to see if I get the same results using the FX Loop. It's more likely to replace my Walrus Audio ACS1, Keeley Hydra and Eccos and Boss RC5.

Chimey

Is anyone using any of the Redwirez BIGbox ✘: Vintage Classics ir pack with any of the Headrush amps?

I know I just bought a bunch of York ir packs, but I'm ir rabbit hole tweaking now, lol, and I just fired up the free Redwirez Marshall 1960 with G12M25 Greenbacks and I like the clarity, in your face quality, of the single mics in that pack.

Does anyone here use the Redwirez Fenders, Vox, Hiwatt...or others? I'm thinking of getting the Bigbox Vintage Classic pack - there's allot in there for $50....(maybe even wait for an upcoming sale?)

I actually like scrolling thru the Redwirez single mic positions in order of distances from ".0, .5, "1.0...etc, and positions ie: cap, cone, edge..(and they're labeled so I know where I'm at and am learning too) to dial in my ideal tone, rather than rely on mixes, which sound less clear to me anyway, (making rigs for live use to PA)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom