Headrush USB problem

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by FrankT58, Dec 6, 2017.

1. FrankT58

FrankT58 Member

Recently I bought a Headrush pedalboard, updated the firmware, loaded the 2 free Celestion IR's, and had a ball. A couple of weeks later I bought some IR's more, wanted to upload them in the headrush, but all of a sudden the USB port isn't recognized anymore. I tried everything as suggested on the Headrush support page, but nada.
    Somebody out there knows the answer?

2. Tiger J

Tiger J Member

HeadRush doesn't recognize USB port or your computer doesn't recognize USB port?

3. FrankT58

FrankT58 Member

Computer doesn't recognize the USB port

4. sitedrifter

sitedrifter Gold Supporting Member

Not sure what Headrush suggests so please excuse any dupes I write.

1. Try a different USB cable
    2. Reboot the Computer
    3. Try a different Computer
    4. blow out the usb port on the headrush and computer

If it still fails on those 4 items then it is your pedal as the cause. (sorry to say)

5. valdiorn

valdiorn Member

Without knowing much about what your issue could actually be, I have had some problems recently on my machine running Windows 8.1, where USB devices (particularly, class-compliant MIDI devices) just refused to show up if I connected them to any other USB port than the one I used the very first time I plugged them in. Windows remembers which port has been connected to what device, and sometimes it seems to go a bit pear-shaped.

Try using this software to "forget" the USB device, then reconnect it to whatever USB port you want, and see if it gets detected again. Right click and choose Uninstall any devices that look like they could be related to the Headrush, anything that reads Avid, Headrush, even Digidesign as they might be using an old device signature. There can be several "devices" recognized, as a single device can act as an audio interface, a midi device and more. Don't worry, you shouldn't be able to break anything too badly with this software, if you accidentally uninstall something you didn't intend to it's usually enough to just unplug it and stick it back in. But then again, please don't blame me if you fry your machine, use at your own risk :)

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

(download link is at the bottom, you probably want the x64 version unless you're running some ancient computer)

Cool Hand Luke and KenG like this.
  6. FrankT58

FrankT58 Member

7. Dude705

Dude705 Member

This may or may not be a silly question, but have you enabled "USB Transfer" in global settings?

8. FrankT58

FrankT58 Member

@Dude705:
    As far as I can see, there is no such possibility to enable or disable USB transfer in Headrush. Furthermore, it did work before, and I didn't change anything

9. valdiorn

valdiorn Member

Ah yes, then it's pretty clearly an issue with the Headrush.
    Try a factory reset, and maybe a different cable? Other than that, it might be time to call Avid Tech support.

10. Dude705

Dude705 Member

Go to “Global Settings” and enable “USB Transfer”. You have to put the HR in USB transfer mode in order for your pc to see the HR.
    Obviously this is your problem if you are not aware of the USB transfer mode.
    Tap the 3 dots at upper right corner to go to global settings, once in global settings, tap the 3 dots again at upper right corner and in that menu you will see “USB Transfer”.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    Elantric likes this.
  11. Tiger J

Tiger J Member

OR, if you have done this... you may have a bad USB cable or a bad USB port on your PC. Half the USB ports on my last laptop just stopped working overnight for some reason!

12. Dude705

Dude705 Member

But he did say he wasn’t aware of putting the HR in USB transfer mode, so that may be the issue.

13. FrankT58

FrankT58 Member

Well, I tried this already, and tried just now again. It certainly has nothing to do with a bad cable or USB port on my pc, since i tried with 3 different cables and 3 different PC's. I reinstalled the driver on my pc also. Strangely enough on the HR screen Headrush is sync-ing as if the usb connection is working well, but on the other side of the cable my PC doesn't receive or send anything at all, it doesn't recognize the USB port.

14. RickyC60

RickyC60 Member

I have this same problem as of last night. Have downloaded from Headrush cloud before with no problems. Seems like board is going through the usb transfer motion, but there is no sign of usb connection?????

15. RickyC60

RickyC60 Member

Same prob here

16. FrankT58

FrankT58 Member

Aha! That is interesting, and worrying at the same time. I e-mailed Headrush already, and the answer I got is to send the pedalboard back to repair. Annoying when you need it for concerts...

17. RickyC60

RickyC60 Member

I purchased pedal through Sweetwater and they have a designated Headrush rep. I will try and contact him today.

Anthony Newcomb likes this.
  18. FrankT58

FrankT58 Member

Cool! Please keep me posted.

19. RickyC60

RickyC60 Member

I will

20. Anthony Newcomb

Anthony Newcomb Silver Supporting Member

Yes I believe the HR rep's name is Jeff. He has an office at Sweetwater's campus.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    RickyC60 likes this.