Heads on one room, cabs on the other

pulse.

Gold Supporting Member
As the tittle says, I 'm wondering what's the safest way
to have the heads on the control room and the cabinets
on the recording space.

ripgtr

A good heavy long speaker cable. Too long and the resistance of the cable can be a factor, but it is common to find 25 and probably 50 ft speaker cables. Anything over that and I would maybe look into it more, but those should be fine. Anything further than that and I would have to ask "why" anyway.

pulse.

Gold Supporting Member
Ok, it was that simple? I thought that it was gonna be more difficult. Thanks guys

Torren61

I thought that was a great question. In my case, I'd like to have the head in one room and my mic'd cab in another room in a closet in an iso cab thing so I can crank the head and not annoy the neighbors. I'd need around 25 feet of speaker cable. I'm still researching building a proper iso cab.

JMMP1

Musiciansfriend has occasionally put some 25 ft. fender speaker cables on sale (Stupid Deal of the Day). I bought two of those to have the option to keep the amp far from the cab. They have worked great so far for me.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
AS I understand it there's a couple of concerns with the speaker cable being under-spec. One is that it does drop some voltage to the speaker cab which is going to lose you some volume. The second is that it's a resistance in series with the speaker cab. Not so much a problem if you're running a 16 ohm cab, but it could change things if you're running a 2 or 4 ohm cabinet. Anyway, the bigger the gauge of wire the less resistance there is, so for a tube amp running 25' or 50' I'd consider using 12 ga or at least 14 ga.

theRagman

Gold Supporting Member
I use 20' runs of 12-gauge speaker cable with no problems. If you want to go really long distances, I think Radial makes some kind of device for that, but it might be overkill for your application.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom