heads up, guytron on ebay for good buy it now

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by timv, Oct 4, 2005.

1. timv

timv Member

2. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

3. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

7 12AX7
    2 EL84
    4 EL34

lotsa glass for sure, but man does it sound nice.

4. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

I really do like this idea. I wish that it had more sound clips of the very clean and very dirty settings...like to see the range.

Great concept tho...overdrive an output tube BEFORE the tube power section.

Just don't have an extra $1400 for the experiment (at least it's allocated for a Les Paul!)

5. Aint Life Hell?

Aint Life Hell? Member

6. michael.e

michael.e Silver Supporting Member

This price [$1,200 +] is the ballpark for the older GT's. The FV's are the ones that command the high dollars in the $2,200 + range. Amazing prices for amps that are PCB and Ribbon connectors. Can't knock the tone! M.E.

7. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

Ribbons and PCB yes- poor quality in components and assembly, certainly not. They're built like brick sh#thouses, and like you said, they sound amazing.:dude

8. Kborg

Kborg Silver Supporting Member

Man, that didn't take long!! The Guytrons have always amazed me at how low the used ones go for. Great tone and versatility but they never seem to get much press. Nice to see the good comments on them. I've had one since 98 and am a die hard fan:dude

9. johnc

johnc Member

You know their are a lot of expensive PCB amps out there. Bogner, Diezel, Elmwood, VHT come to mind.

I would be surprised if Guy is building much more that 60 or 70 amps a year. At those numbers, I would bet that PCB's are not necessarily the cheapest way to go.

The early Guytrons had flying leads and chasis mounted tube sockets. According to Guy, he had more reliability problems with that design than what he's doing now. All of the changes he's made to his new amp were focused on improving his original design.

10. Kborg

I think most of the channel switchers use PCBs and your right, Guy has made several changes, and they were to improve the quality and tone which was rock solid to start with. The decisions to make the changes were not dollar driven they were a result of lessons learned and user input.

If it's got the tone and the features and holds up to the road, does it really matter?

11. michael.e

michael.e Silver Supporting Member

Well.. Yes.... To some it will, to others it will not. M.E.

12. Kborg

13. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

That was a good deal.

My FV smokes!! What an amazing versital amp. Best clean I have heard in a 2 channel head, and the crunch? My pedals went out the door within a week of having it.;)

14. Aint Life Hell?

Aint Life Hell? Member

I have nipples Greg. Can you milk Me?

15. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Michael E, please explain your logic as to why this amp seems overpriced to you since it made with PCB'c and ribbon connectors because I don't get it. There are many amps with reliable histories (Mesa, Soldano etc...) that also sound just as good if not better then any point to point amps.

It takes alot of work to properly design a circuit board and I don't think the Diezals, Guytrons, Soldanos of the world are trying to cut corners on their amps, actually they probably found it makes them more reliable. Just think how many great old Marshalls and Fenders we would had if the amps would have been made more consistantly. Instead people have to go through crappy ones until they can find the "one" magical one.

It seems like you like them but for some reason are stuck on a preconceived notion that any amp of this type is inferior. All high end stereo equipment is PCB but I don't hear the reviewers knocking them based on their construction techniques.

The Guytron has allowed me to finally end the never ending overdrive/distortion peadl chase, in fact the only distortion pedal I own is an octave pedal.

The guy who bought this amp got a great deal but I think the seller should have got a couple hundred more for it.

16. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

For that matter, I wonder what sort of construction methods, satellites, military electronics, hospital electronics, etc.. use and whether there's a concern for the reliability. don't get me wrong, I love PTP, and the look of tidy wiring and construction, and most of my amps are PTP. I'm just more concerned about the quality of the components and tone though, than esoteric features.