Heads with High Gain and Serious Bottom End ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rock Fella, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

I know for a fact the Peavey 6505 im patiently waiting on to arrive comes loaded with serious high gain and low end clout to match.

What other (tube) heads are similarly voiced , searing high gain and a heavyweight punch ?

id like to know.

jimmy

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Bogner Uberschall

Rivera Knucklehead II

Rocca HG100

3. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

you sure about that ?

clippage i heard suggested massive bottom end , but stomp-less gain wasnt really that much to my ears, i should have specified , the gain to come from the amp, not a stomper. id love to try a HG100 for myself, seems like a stellar head.

4. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

The HG head is......High Gain. Oh yes it is.

5. Roe

Roe Member

perhaps a diezel herbert

6. Distortion

Distortion Member

It only takes 10 seconds with a Hi Gain 100 running into a 4 x 12 cabinet to tell it has tons of hi gain attitude..:eek:

7. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

8. Argonaut4

Argonaut4 Member

The Framus Cobra has some serious gain and lowend. Though, I can't remember how it compares to the Peavey since it's been years since I've played a 5150.

Here's a quicky clip I recorded last weekend of the Cobra(keep in mind I'm not the best engineer ;) ).

Cobra

The amp has quite a bit of sag to it. Too much for my tastes when it comes to heavy rhythms. Though, I like a lot of sag when it comes to leads, cleans, and vintage tones. The clean channel is the best I've heard on a high-gain amp. It's also the quietest high-gain amp I've ever heard.

J

9. 6AM

6AM Supporting Member

Here's some of the thickest guitar amps I've tried:

Bad Cat Hot Cat
    Fatboy
    VHT Ultralead
    Diezel Herbert (to a fault, actually)

10. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Well today I hosted this jam my brother runs. His two buddies came over and they are metal heads. This lead to some interesting jamming as far as I have come across. I wasn't familiar with the Metallica arrangement of "Walk Don't Run". Did you know there was a Dickie Bett's solo in "Enter Sandman"? OK well this is a fun scene for me.

But to answer your question. I haven't had any metal heads over for a long time and this seemed like a good time to get the Uberschall and Knucklehead II out to see which one is which.

Short version: Both heads were considered excellent heads for metal, but the Knucklehead II was preferred by both players for what was a significant advantage in clean channel, and because the crunch was more "crunchy". To my ear the Uberschall had more girth and the Knucklehead II had more thunder in the drive channels. Uberschall clean channel was not that bad, it was middy and a little dark, sort of round and not particularly sparkly. The Knucklehead II was of that typical Rivera shiny black mirror dark flavor of Fender clean.

It was much easier for both players to dial in the Uberschall, but that didn't tip the scales for either of these guys.

The metal projects we have lent these amps to in the past have usually just gone with the Uberschall but in this case, where the Knucklehead II was A/Bed with the Uberschall, both players preferred the Knucklehead II.

I figure you ought to try both. Look out for something used.

I know a guy in this genre who swears by VHT but I can't say from personal experience.

11. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

12. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

i've got the knucklehead and would have to agree that it's the best low end I've played through. But to be honest, I think that the right cabinets can turn almost any amp into a monster.

I've got the rivera sub cabinet and 4x12 with gt75s and almost any head sounds good running through those cabs. I've even gotten solid state Randalls and Line6 amps to sound incredible with really tight low end. I've also tried some really cheap crates and stuff through those cabs and they sound great.

So if you're looking for more low end... think about just trying some different cabs/ speaker combinations with your peavey. The peavey has an efx loop that could easily hook up to a rivera sub cabinet. And GT75s have massive low end punch that eats up v-30s for metal (my opinion) Don't waste money on buying another head... you can get that peavey to sound huge if it's hooked up right

13. loudboy

loudboy Supporting Member

C'mon guys, no love for the Dual Recto? <g>

They invented this sound and are still the amp that does it best IMHO, attested to by their almost universal use by modern/nu-metal bands.

Kind of like asking which amp does the best sparkly clean and not mentioning BF Fenders...

Loudboy

14. cobrahead1030

cobrahead1030 Member

i have a framus cobra...it's tight, brutal, and never muddy; one fender'ish clean channel, a hotrodded jcm800'ish rhythm channel, and a recto'ish lead channel

what more could a metal player want?

2 master volumes, and built in midi interface :D

the high gain sound IMO was invented with the jcm800 and the mesa mark series amps, which blow away the rectos IMO (me being a recto owner myself, i wish i'd bought a mark IV instead)

engl makes some very cool high gainers
    vht as well
    splawn has some great hot rodded marshall esque stuff
    there are so many great amps out there, you could have 50 and still want more
    ;)

15. cobrahead1030

cobrahead1030 Member

i won't say i agree with everything you said, but there is a lot of truth in that

i've heard a great sounding cab, bring a mediocre amp to life and make it a real fire breather...and i've seen a POS cab make a killer amp sound like ****

cabs are something i think a lot of people kinda overlook, but especially with hi gain stuff they're a VERY important part of your tone...but if you don't have atleast a decent head, the best cab in the world won't help you; you can't polish a turd

16. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

Yeah that's the truth

I just have to voice my opinion about cabs cuz I'm lucky enough to own some good ones and have been able to experiment. Believe it or not, I would take good cabs and a mediocre head over a good head and mediocre cab combination anyday. If I lost all my gear in a fire the first thing I would replace would be the rivera sub

17. Erik

Erik Member

...or a Road King. Play channel 3 or 4 set up with 2 6L6's and 2 EL34's...covers a LOT of sonic territory. Go a step further and use the "modern" voicing with diode rectification on "Bold"...push some volume and dial back the presence...boost mids, lower treble and bass...there you go.

18. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

Lots of low end is fun live, but typically not good for recording. Dial those lows back or imploy a high cut at the mic/pre.

THose huge guitars you hear are often a combo of the guitar and bass. If you solo'd the guitar track, you'd be shocked how "thin" it really is!

19. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

one of my heroes john sykes got hellacious guitar tones on whitesnakes 87 album with the last amp id equate him with , a coliseum mk3 boogie, thunderous and wall shaking tones truly, id never go with a boogie ever, but damn i never heard the man sound better.

before somebody suggests i buy a boogie then, i had a mk1 RI combo and Ive never played, owned or used a pile of crap (IMO ) like it since.

20. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

Perhaps indeed. :dude

Diezel Herbert and Bogner √úberschall would be on my short list.