Headstock finish burn from clip-on tuner

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dbx, May 1, 2015.

1. dbx

dbx Member

I haven't seen a post on this yet but have those of you that use clip-on tuners had any finish problems where you clipped the tuner on the headstock?

I left a Snark tuner on a headstock since yesterday and noticed finish reaction at the contact points this morning when I took it off. The pad on the back is the worst area. I tried to remove the damage with polishing compound but the impressions are still there...

Sound and playability are not affected of course, but it would have been more annoying on a more valuable/vintage guitar...

2. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

Is the guitar finish nitro?
    I haven't had this issue myself as I use clip on tuners only when playing at home. My go to guitar around the house is a poly finished tele.

I've seen threads here a couple of times about the rubber on certain guitar stands causing an issue with nitro finishes. It stands to reason the rubber pads on clip on tuners could do the same.

3. 2tone

2tone Silver Supporting Member

I had the plastic end of a guitar strap melt the nitro paint on a Les Paul guitar. Prolonged contact, maybe temperature could be a factor too.

4. dbx

dbx Member

It's an LP Classic (should have thought about the finish) and it was at home use. I also have a Planet Waves clip-on but hadn't noticed any finish reaction on the LP. I think the other guitar I tried the Snark on was poly finished...

It has been the most hot it's been so far this season had to run the AC a bit yesterday, inside temps were not high. The Snark was only on at most overnight...not even a full 24 hours..

I think I'm most surprised at how fast the reaction occurred from the Snark. I'm normally really good about not leaving the clip on attached but got lazy...I'll be more careful with the Snark, oh well it's chemically relic'd there now... ;)