Headstock repairs ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by daveS, Apr 10, 2015.

1. daveS

daveS lefty dude on hiatus Gold Supporting Member

Between the San Andreas and Calaveras Faults
    How do you feel about headstock repairs? Especially on mahogany necked electrics.....for example Gibsons, PRS, Gretsch, etc.

Obviously this is a devaluation for the collector minded buyer.

But, assuming the headstock repair is checked out and legit, and the guitar holds its tuning and intonation, would you shy away from a headstock repaired guitar as a player guitar ?

Thoughts?

2. mxvin

mxvin Member

If it was my guitar I wouldn't care. I have fixed completely broken headstocks and they are play as if they were new. Even with that said I would be a bit tentative about buying one unless it seemed fine and it was a very good deal

3. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

As you stated, from a 'collectable' point of view, I agree - I wouldn't be interested. If the repair was well-done, I would have no problem owning such a guitar for playing gigs or lending out to friends, as I wouldn't be all that concerned if it got a chip or a gouge, or if something dreadful happened to it. But the person selling it to me would have to be VERY, very flexible on price. They couldn't be expecting 40%-50% of new for me to stay interested. They would have to settle for 'I-wanna-get-rid-of-it-right-now' money, considering how many guitars are out there with no headstock breaks for reasonable prices.

4. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I would not shy away for functional reasons. If the guitar is overvalued in that condition, yes I would leave it alone. I'm beginning to see vintage dealers price repaired headstock older guitars at only marginally less than a perfect condition example would be.

Two guitars I'm interested in right now are listed at somewhat local dealers. Both with repaired breaks. Both priced at 85 percent or so of what would be a reasonable price.
    I guess the strategy here is to outwait them. Can't imagine anyone paying what they're asking. Whoever buys would take quite a hit if they turned around and had to sell.
    MD

5. Mpcoluv

Mpcoluv Supporting Member

As long as you played it enough to know it was stable, and it was a bargain, I would go for it.

6. jcs

jcs Member

If it were not for neck repairs on my 65 SG Special, I would not own one of the most tuneful, easy playing SG's I have encountered....stays in tune as well!

Mine was pro repaired with I think epoxy.....it will likely never come apart at the glue joint again.

Oh yeah, my guitar was hugely discounted.....I was at the right place at the right time....the guy consigning it was desperate for quick cash as he was moving across the country and was afraid of it getting damaged.

The case he had was absolute crap & the reason the neck got damaged in the first place.....it plays beautifully with absolutely NO DEAD SPOTS anywhere....TONS of sustain too.

7. jcs

jcs Member

I bought my 65 SG Special for 30% of mint value but it has Grovers and a Badass bridge, plus a pro humbucker route on the bridge pickup.

I LOVE having a humbucker bridge and P-90 neck....I can always go P-90 back in the bridge too.

If only the neck is pro repaired, it should be discounted more than 85% of a reasonable price....then again it depends on the overall desirability of the instrument.....Headstock repairs don't hurt some guitars much at all, like 59 Bursts and D'Angelicos from what I have gathered.

But the guitar needs to be a stable, toneful instrument before I would consider it in the first place.....unless it were stupid cheap.

8. newking70

newking70 Member

lol, guess you wouldn't want the green/moore '59 LP.

9. Teletech

Teletech Member

I have a Gretsch with a repaired headstock.
    I had it fixed by an excellent luthier, the best I could find, and the cost reflected that.
    It was done right the first time, and that's the important thing. If it's done right you can never tell and doesn't affect playability at all.
    But I wouldn't expect to get the same resale price. It's a player and I'm fine with that.
    The problem buying a used one is you wonder how well the repair was done. It's very hard to fix right after someone else messed up the job.

10. cardinal

cardinal Member

For a collector, unless it had a famous owner, no way.

From a player stand point, as long as it's a solid repair, it'll be fine. But I'd only be interested for a pretty low price. Otherwise it's not worth the headache. Very hard to sell if you decide to do so in the future.

11. XKnight

XKnight Member

Plenty of guitars out there that have never had a broken headstock so for me the lower price does not sway me to a purchase.

12. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Since I have 4 old Gibsons with neck/headstock repairs, the newest repair being circa 1981 , they are ok with me.

13. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I had a headstock repair done by Gary Brawer. It was a Zemaitis metalfront copy. The guitar came back more resonant than ever and the job was SUPER clean. They scooped out the back and put in a biscuit fill type thing. Stellar job.

14. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I got my '66 ES-335 (with well repaired headstock break) for less than 50 percent of what similar (no breaks) 335s were selling for in the shop at that time. Closer to 40 percent. If I were to sell, I'd be lucky to get 50 to 60 percent of what the equivalent 335 with no breaks would fetch. It's a given.

That's why I'm amazed at some of the prices I'm seeing. Dealers clearly take advantage where they can. Looking for those who don't know better ... or don't care. I'd love to grab another fine vintage guitar with a repair, but not for stupid money.
    MD

15. daveS

Awesome responses!

And now, for kicks.... What if you couldn't play the guitar with the headstock repair, but you got pictures and description/details about the headstock repair that (in your expert TGP GAS fueled opinion) seemed credible? ..... and the guitar is well priced to boot.

Too risky?

..........life in the new ecommerce world order.

16. cardinal

cardinal Member

^ I'd be nice to see the receipt from the shop that did the repair. And it'd have to be real cheap.

17. monty

monty Member

Wouldn't bother me a bit as long as it is well done.

18. cap47

cap47 Member

I have repaired one myself. That being said, I wouldn't buy any used guitar that I couldn't inspect or play. Not without a return policy such as GC or other well known Online Sellers have. Mine plays great and it is hard to tell if it has been repaired. If it has been repaired correctly and plays well, that is all that matters!

19. Bossanova

Bossanova Member

Oh, just buy the thing already. You know you're gonna..!

When I was shopping for my 335, I had the choice of a headstock repaired one for 1600 or a great one for 1950. Went with the higher priced one, mostly because it just sounded better. Probably would have been a harder choice if the difference was greater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. daveS

How did you know? :eek: