• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Headstock Tuners on your Electrics...Yes? No?

trower

[geer/peyj] hubris confusion paralysis by analysis
Gold Supporting Member
Any of you guys or gals using these clip on or body/Headstock tuners on your electrics? Pros/Con's? Maybe one less pedal on the board would be nice if these do a good job live? thoughs....

guitarz1972

I'll say for me, it works "okay." I mean, it gets by. In theory, having one less thing in the signal chain is probably a good deal, but in practice you do lose the convenience, the display, and the fast tracking of a pedal tuner.

I tried it for a while, again it was "okay," but I quickly went back to my Pitchblack. The headstock tuner's been back in the acoustic case for a while now.

Search this forum too for more information, been several threads in the past few months about this. Some people like it, some don't. I'd say if you're really interested then try it for a couple gigs and see how it goes. But make sure your headstock tuner has a good battery (especially if you're like me and you're used to running AC power for your effects; you can't daisy-chain the thing, after all lol).

JackStraw12

I use a Snark 5 clip-on for practicing with my jazz combo, but I am going to keep my pitchblack on the board.

trower

[geer/peyj] hubris confusion paralysis by analysis
Gold Supporting Member
Accuracy probibly being the biggest factor for yer I'm guessing...

Uniphasian

Ive used a bunch of clip-ons (Peterson, Snark, Sabine, Intellitouch, etc.) and they're just as accurate as the TU-2 on my board. I've used them on acoustics and electrics and they're trustworthy in every case.

I just don't like leaving them on the headstock during a show so it stays in my pocket between tunings. Just an aesthetic issue - there's nothing wrong with leavinging it on.

Tommy Biggs

Gold Supporting Member
I leave it(snark) on in practice, I'm getting spoiled. I went to a smaller board and appreciate the real estate - but I'm still tempted by a Turbo tuner. Also don't lie to leave it on during a show. In the old days I'm sure I would have lost it every show, now I'm a lot more sedentary.

Dale

I tend to leave my Snark on as well. It is a darn good tuner. Will it replace my Turbotuner? No, but it is killer live.

voorhiessa

Intellitouch before gig here. Don't leave on while playing because I saw an old man do that and now it seems 'papaw' to me

monkmiles

Silver Supporting Member
I went from a Pitchblack to a Snark. Now I own two Snarks and no pedal tuners. Love em.

Last edited:

googoobaby

I use a Korg clip-on mic connected to a Turbo Tuner (the non-pedal version) and it works excellently.

monty

I'm using a smaller board for practice and am going to give the Planet Waves one a shot. I love my Snark, but dont like the way it looks for live playing. The PW is pretty small.

aT19er

I went from using a Snark for about a year to a Turbo Tuner and I love it. What was nice about the Snark was how it was out of the signal chain and small. But what sucked about it was how small and easy it was to misplace. Before a show, "Have you seen my tuner?" "..No.." Then find it in the nick of time and rush to make final tuning adjustments.

The pedal takes up more space but it:s going to be hard to misplace a tuner pedal when it's wired up, stuck to a board, and has a power source attached.

I still keep my Snark for backup though. Over a year and only one battery change.

Kelsey

I have 2 Turbo Tuners and 3 Snarks. If I have a board then I have a TT, if not then I have a Snark. The TT is more accuate, but the Snark works nearly as well, and nearly as fast. My TU-2 is gone. I keep a Snark in my main gig bag, so I always have it handy. I've used the Snark to tune my acoustic and the TT to tune my electrics and bass for recording, and everything sounds in tune to me. That's all I need to know.

The clip on may not be dead sexy, but it's so light that it certainly has no impact on tone. I think being in tune is sexy.

Trending Topics