Headstrong Amps???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jokerjkny, May 1, 2008.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

seems like there isnt much love for these great fender repro amps...

just played the lil king w/ the 12" ceramic speaker, and man, not too shabby at all! the front faceplate was causing a little buzzing, which would drive me nuts during a session, but other than that, just an awesome fender sound.

anyone have any experience with their royal reverb (deluxe reverb alike)? and what weber speakers are they using?

2. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

Isn't much love for these amps? I have a Lil' King,and the sound is
    phenominal. Wayne is a great guy who is passionate about what
    he builds.

3. teleking36

teleking36 Member

I know that Rich Robinson is a big fan of 'em, and I believe he has a Prima 30 that he uses along with his Harry Joyce, 65 Royal Albert, Corkscrew, and Showman. I haven't played any of them, but from what I've heard through sound clips and hearing Rich use them live, they're great amps. Pretty good price point too, considering what most boutique amps cost these days.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

please lemme know! alnico speaker?

5. m1911

m1911 Member

My kid saw Marc Ford last fall in Boston about 10' from stage and said he sounded great with his Headstrong.....also used on his album "Weary & Wired"....which sounds great too.
    I spoke to Mr. Headstrong (Wayne Jones) on the phone as well, and he seemed very sharp and in-to what he's doing.

Mark

6. rhollyday

rhollyday Silver Supporting Member

Picked up a used Headstrong tweed repro of a 50's Fender Bandmaster amp a few years ago. It compares favorably with Clark and Victoria amps.

7. Dave LaP

Dave LaP Member

I LOVE my Lil King. It's perfect as a grab and go amp, for duos and trios, practicing at home and blues jams when the drummer isn't too loud and there aren't too many guitar players.

Did you crank it up any? It gets a nice low gain OD tone on 4-7. Above that it gets a little too distorted for my taste although many guys love em on 9.

8. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

I think they sound great, but they are blackface copies and you can get the real deal for the same price still.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

yea,

i was thinking that, but frankly, i'd rather not deal with the upkeep, nor that sinking feeling if that vintage gem might go down midgig.

having something that sounds vintage, yet is built like a tank seems like a better option for me.

10. johnzias

johnzias Member

Great amp! Even greater price.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

oh ok,

that's exactly the model i played, and it was quite sweet. terrific amp!

12. phusana

phusana Member

Another happy Lil King Reverb owner here! (1x12 Weber) Perfect grab and go blackface style blues amp. I've had no problems keeping up volume wise with small club settings with bass, drums and another guitarist. IMHO perfect power/size/vol for home, studio, small gigs.

It's like it came off the production line in '64, built to last and comes with a 10yr transferable warranty!

13. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

Great sounding amps! I'll pick up a Verbroviibe if I can ever find one used!

14. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Member

wow! that was beautiful playing and tones! it sounds like a great amp and you are obviously a great player with a wonderful harmonic palette. thanks for posting that clip!

Eric

15. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

Great playing & fantastic tone,Jim.

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

+1

sweet tones... guitar?

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

woah 27" scale? dang, bet that sucker has punch!

again, great stuff w/ the headstrong.

18. phusana

phusana Member

Great clip Jim! Very tasty playing and tone... I'm loving my Lil King Reverb too. The P90s are a great match with this amp especially when you crank those 6V6s up!

I've been a P90 fan since my '57 JR. (yeah, I sold it... I can always get another one for $150 right?) My Reverend Jetstream 390 sounds great through it, but I'll have to check out a Soloway someday.

[​IMG]

19. phusana

phusana Member

Hey Jim... Checking out your website, the Junior style with the Vintage Vibe P90 isn't jumping out at me. Is it the Fledgling with the 2 P90s? Nice looking pieces!