Headstrong Lil King or Lil King-S?

darrenwatson

Hi,

I am looking for a replacement for my Victorilux (6L6, 3x10) because I find I can never run it where I want to without simply being way too loud.

I am looking at getting a Lil King or maybe the S model?

I am worried the S might still be too loud and the Lil King might be too quiet?

Any thoughts appreciated greatly.

dividedsky

The Lil King with a 12 is actually a very loud amp imo. In fact it's too loud for me to use in my bedroom. Well I can play it on 2 to 2.5 but no louder. The S is going to be louder than a Deluxe. If you need the headroom the S is the way to go though as the Lil King will obviously break up sooner.

darrenwatson

I'm leaning towards the Lil King and hope it's enough for the medium sized gigs I'm doing at the moment..... I KNOW it'll be the right tone.

I've been using a Victoria 20112 (that's a narrow panel Deluxe clone) ('cause my Victorilux is too loud) and finding it too flubby and, well frankly 'tweedy' at full volume. That plus I'm addicted to the god-like reverb and trem on the 'Lux.

Has anyone ABed a tweed Deluxe with an original PR or the Lil King? How do they compare volume-wise? I know they SOUND different but if they're in the same volume ballpark the Lil King will probably do...

I usually like to run my amps dimed and control everything from the guitar... not really a pedal fan

rhollyday

Silver Supporting Member
Never played a Lil' King but I did own a Clark Kayan which is another Princeton repro with a 12" speaker. I currently own a Lil' King-S and I would say it is quite a bit louder than the Kayan ever was and a bit slightly louder than a Deluxe Reverb. Hope that helps.

Jim Soloway

I'm leaning towards the Lil King and hope it's enough for the medium sized gigs I'm doing at the moment..... I KNOW it'll be the right tone.

I've been using a Victoria 20112 (that's a narrow panel Deluxe clone) ('cause my Victorilux is too loud) and finding it too flubby and, well frankly 'tweedy' at full volume. That plus I'm addicted to the god-like reverb and trem on the 'Lux.

Has anyone ABed a tweed Deluxe with an original PR or the Lil King? How do they compare volume-wise? I know they SOUND different but if they're in the same volume ballpark the Lil King will probably do...

I usually like to run my amps dimed and control everything from the guitar... not really a pedal fan

If you dime a 1x12 Lil' King, it's incredibly loud.

darrenwatson

If you dime a 1x12 Lil' King, it's incredibly loud.

Well, the amp is always on 10 but I hardly ever go there on the guitar.... Wayne has actually recommended a LK-S given my circumstances so I think I'm gonna trust him and just order one.... :BluesBros

can't wait....

In Tune

Well, the amp is always on 10 but I hardly ever go there on the guitar.... Wayne has actually recommended a LK-S given my circumstances so I think I'm gonna trust him and just order one.... :BluesBros

can't wait....
Congrats,, I would go with Wayne on Dis Wan....I wish I had this amp. Sounds like the ultimate grab and go box.
Let us know how it works for you...:drink

Jim Soloway

can't wait....

In that case I have a really simple answer: trust Wayne. He one of those rare folks who really understands when you tell him what you want. If he's recommending an LK-S, then he's probably right.

RCCola

(|@ / \ @ |.)
Gold Supporting Member
The Lil King and S are talked about in the newest issue of Tonequest as an FYI.

I've never tried either.

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
I plugged into a sweet old BF princeton reverb and that Lil King last weekend. Very different amps. The Lil King is way louder, has a different presence. For playing out, I'd grab the Lil King on problem. A lot of small amps sound constricted. This one doesn't.

My Lil' King with the 12" speaker is very loud. Incredible tone & dynamics.
Haven't tried the S yet,but would like to.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom