• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Headstrong Lil King S vs. Vintage Sound 20

stephen78

Supporting Member
I have the the V15. It took some speaker swapping, but now it sounds really fantastic. I like the extra options the VS amps provide. i.e. 12’ speaker, larger reverb tank, reverb dwell control, mid control, bright cap mod via the volume knob, and bias points on the rear. My amp is dead quiet and the reverb and tremolo are really nice. I don’t use allot of either, but for me they sound great. Oh yeah, and my DIG delay just puts it over the top. Not sure how it wold respond with an OD pedal, but definitely takes the deal very well.

I did allot of research before buying this amp and to be honest, I started to think I had made a wrong decision. A lot of people like the Warehouse speaker it comes with; not me. I kept playing hoping the speaker would break-in, but just couldn’t get it dialed in. So I tried a green back. Better, but didn’t have the bass and I felt I lost some of the Fender vibe. Then I tried the Celestion Type A. Home run! I can literally set everything at noon and it sounds great. Hard to make it sound bad.

I can’t recall ever having changed a speaker that matched so will with the amp. To my ears and for my taste of course. I can’t believe how this amp now just nails the sound I was after. I bought the Type A for another amp and actually tried it in a few amps and thought it pretty much sucked. But, I had it on hand and was rolling speakers so I gave it a go. Glad I hung onto it.

So yeah, this is a really great amp IMO. And these are very reasonably priced for a hand wired amp with all the features and quality these amps offer.

Good luck on your search. Hope my experience helps.
I also have a VS15 and love it. I really dig the bright cap via the volume knob mod...especially with humbuckers. I too was not really into the WGS speaker, so I went for a Neo Creamback...sounds fantastic with pedals and clean. The A-Type sounds interesting as well!

ksg65

I like the Vintage Sound. Rick just built me a Jazz 20 and its parked next to my VS tweed (the one with the separate Tweed & Plexi inputs) covers a whole lot of ground. Super guy and great amps.

Jack Dotson

Silver Supporting Member
I also have a VS15 and love it. I really dig the bright cap via the volume knob mod...especially with humbuckers. I too was not really into the WGS speaker, so I went for a Neo Creamback...sounds fantastic with pedals and clean. The A-Type sounds interesting as well!
I have a Creamback M I haven’t tried because it’s a 16Ohm speaker and the amp only has the 8 Ohm output. I know I can run a 16 Ohm from the 8 Ohm output safely, but think it would still work the amp harder and am not sure I’m comfortable with this. The type A is great, but I’m also a big fan of the Creamback’s.

mdrake34

I like the Vintage Sound. Rick just built me a Jazz 20 and its parked next to my VS tweed (the one with the separate Tweed & Plexi inputs) covers a whole lot of ground. Super guy and great amps.
Is your tweed the newer one with the master volume on the back?

JackD

Platinum Supporting Member
I just LOVE my Lil King S. Just a fantastic Grab-and-go Blackface amp. I love it because it sounds like a Deluxe (maybe even bigger sounding) and is as small as a Princeton. Just killer!!

Tweed335

I haven't played the Headstrong. But I just received my VS20 yesterday. I was looking for a beefier Princeton circuit to replace my PRRI.

I'll echo others observations that the Warehouse speaker that comes stock seems a bit dark. I run the bass on 0, middle on ~4, and Treble ~8 for my 335 <haven't had a chance to try Tele/Strat yet>. Other than that, I have to say it's exactly what I was looking for to replace my PRRI. It has warmth and sparkle, the mids give the tone a great body and the treble is rounded without being harsh. I'm giving the speaker time to break in before I look to replace it. I'm primarily a 335 player, so I might need a little brighter type speaker, but that would be more of a 'fine tuning' mod.

All in all, from what I can say about the VS20, it fills my 'beefier Princeton' space that I was seeking.

Trending Topics