Headstrong Verbovibe

WesB

Howdy guys. New guy here. I've been looking at the Headstrong Verbovibe. Looking for opinions from anyone that has experience with them.
Thanks
Wes

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
Played one for 5 minutes. Really great clean tones. Would love to own one.

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
It is the real deal. A very faithful build of Leo's orig. schematic. It's no where near as scooped as a blackface, and not near as full of mids as a tweed - it does sit right in the middle of those era's with a warm, full classic clean. The vibe is hypnotic and can get very deep, it's reverb envelops the notes nicely. It will get very loud, if you turn it up to get it into breakup, you'll hear more vintage early KT66 Marshall breakup, very pleasing authoritative OD. With the 10's at volume, the classic 6L6 punchy low-end crunch stays nice and tight, even with humbuckers. At power tube break-up vol though, it may be too loud for a small/med club. On an outdoor stage, it's in it's element. As a 2X10 it has an honest big-sound feel to it. It likes pedals, so with good OD pedals you can play at very solid volume and still get the crunch you need. I use OD pedals that deliver flat mids (not a T/S circuit) because I do play more HB & P90 than S-single coils, that makes for a good fit with the native amp tone. I put a set of chrome tilt back legs on mine. Fender produced this amp, the first with built-in reverb in their line, for only about one year. Real vintage Brown ones are nose-bleed expensive, as they are a very bright spot in Fender Amp history. Headstrong is a small operation, Wayne is a great guy to deal with, and his customer service is as good as it gets.

WesB

Thanks for the replies. I've been intrigued by the 63 Vibroverbs that I've heard, but an original is way outta my price range. I had a 63 reissue but didn't bond with it. I love the clean tones of vintage Fender amps. Been thru a few new Fender amps recently but once again nothing I liked. Just recently pulled my old 78 Marshall MKII out of storage where it's spent the last 37 years unplayed, but at 100 watts it's way more then I want for what I'm doing now. Missed out on a couple used Headstrong's recently. I'll probably grab the next one I find.

Last edited:

Trending Topics