Healdsburg Guitar Festival (Northern California) - Aug 14-16

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by jamess, Jul 17, 2009.

1. jamess

jamess Silver Supporting Member

Anyone going this year?

http://www.lmii.com/GuitarFestival/

I went four years ago and really enjoyed it. (I believe it is held every other year) Amazing gathering of guitar builders in one place. It is primarily acoustic with some electric and supplies as well. Hundreds of guitars and lots of live music too.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  2. backdrifter

backdrifter Supporting Member

I wish I was, it sounds like fun! Too far of a trip for me though. If you go, stop by Solomon guitars' booth and let me know what you think! They're on my short list for my next guitar. I started a thread about their guitars in this section, they are beautiful.

Have fun, I'm jealous!

3. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

I went two years ago, ended up with a Shelley D. Park Gypsy jazz guitar that followed me home. Thinking hard about going this year, but not committed to it yet. We'll see what the job situation looks like, that'll probably have an impact...

4. RockinB23

RockinB23 Member

I'm going for the first time!! My wife and I are going for only one day either fri or sat not sure yet. Looking forward to checking out of a lot of great guitars!!!!!!

5. JSeth

JSeth Member

Corvallis, Oregon... "Heart of the Valley"...
    I am definitely considering it - I've heard of this thing for years through my guitar tech/luthier friend in the Santa Cruz mountains, Rick McKee... now that I've moved to Fort Bragg, it's only a hop skip and a jump to Healdsberg! Good to have the dates now...

thanks!

6. nik

nik Member

I was there about 10 years ago and had a great time. There were a lot of great guitars and it was fun to meet everyone.

fyi, I just talked to Ted Megas he said he would be up there again this year. Check out his archtop guitars when you are there!

7. Thor

Thor Member

Might go, but it's getting pretty close to my wife's due date, so may have to stay a little closer to home.

8. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Mod Squad Staff Member

Some really gorgeous guitars here today. There's still time, and Sean McGowan, Paul Asbell, Peppino D'Agostino with others are on the Main Stage!

9. DGTCrazy

It's actually held in Santa Rosa at the Santa Rosa Vineyard Hyatt Inn.

10. JSeth

JSeth Member

Corvallis, Oregon... "Heart of the Valley"...
    So I discovered... why do they call it "the Healdsburg" then? It was overwhelming, seeing ALL THOSE GORGEOUS GUITARS!!!!!

I got to meet a number of folks with whom I've become friends on the Acoustic Guitar Forum; met a number of luthiers and heard some great music performed...

I can't imagine using this venue as a mode to actually PURCHASE a guitar, though; hundreds of people milling about, ambient noise level quite high... not exactly the perfect way to "audition" an acoustic instrument!

Still had a wonderful time, although I was itching to sit down at home and play for an hour or two... shortly after I arrived! After 20 minutes, I could have just sat down with my guitar and spent the rest of the day... A very high "GA GA" factor, wandering around that event... lots of fun!

If you love acoustic guitars, I would say that you HAVE to go to this, at least once! I've never seen that much beauty, craftsmanship and artistry assembled in one spot before! (Oh, and I understand that the noise level at this event is a FRACTION of what the NAMM show is like... so there's THAT!)

11. DGTCrazy

AGREED^^^^^

12. enigma

enigma Member

What would be east coast equivalent for this show?

13. nik

nik Member

20th Century Guitar used to have an archtop show every May on Long Island. I think they quit having it a couple years ago. They used to have all the archtop guys and a lot of the great lpayers there for concerts and workshops.

14. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

It started out in Healdsburg.

Agree with JSeth. They allowed you to go out in the courtyard and try guitars out in the quiet. The crowds & noise were pretty overwhelming for me but I got to talk to the people I wanted to talk to (Ribbecke, Manzer, Beauregard, Benedetto) and got some burning questions answered.

I'd like to see it held in bigger rooms the next time. Other than that, I thought it was well-run.

15. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

Newport Guitar Festival. Oddly, last year it was in Miami Beach.