health supplements that have worked for you- musician health

john beddoe

Hey guys

I am looking for some input on some supplements that other musos here have found helpful. The internet is a minefield of info, and probably loads of it is bogus.

I am looking for stuff to reduce inflammation of tendonitis (mostly under control now) but also preventative stuff for healthy bones, joints, ligaments, muscles- the stuff we use to play guitar!!!

I have been using something called Osteo bi-flex that i got from USA. Its got Glucosamine and Chondroitin/MSM and other things in it that are purported to help. Been on one per day for a month or so- can't say i noticed much

I am told that Turmeric is supposed to be the bomb!

Thanks in advance for any help :)

john beddoe

OH...i hope i put this in the right section! Its kinda related to technique, right? i.e getting better at playing?

Turmeric has a good reputation but it's a little tricky to prepare. It apparently doesn't do anything for you raw, so you have to cook it. But you apparently can't overcook it either. I used to toss it in the rice cooker and cook rice with it before I read that.

I now sprinkle it on veggies and fry it all with some coconut oil for a few minutes.

71strat

Get rig of SUGAR/Sucrose.. Its an inflammatory chemical. Try and consume no more than 10 extra grams of ADDED sucrose per day from processed food.. This does Not Count Naturally occurring.

1 thing is most stuff doesn't work, and is a waste of money. Glusosimine can be trouble if you are diabetic, or are prone to it.

My #1 Supplement would first to get a good Vitamin/Mineral Supplement.

I only use Super Spectrum.. As has NASA for almost 40 years. I wont go into the specifics other than they were invented by the guy that Invented Time Release, and Coinventor of Chelation. All this back in the 50s. Hes of course dead now. He was working on enzymatic research of the Liver, at UV Davis in California, in the 70's early 80s, and was convinced to market this product by Dr Carlin Venus. PHD Physical Therapy, and trained over 60 Olympic Medalists, and held the world record for Incline Bench at 57 years of age. Years ago, Carlin, At 275lbs/57 years, he inclined 675.

Dr Anthony Pescetti. PHD Pharmacology/Electrobiology/MD.

They are Time Released so NO Incompatible elements are released together. Only Compatible Vitamins/Minerals are released at specific times so you get maximum absorption. Which is all that matters.

They are also Cold Processed so the Heat never Warps the molecular structure of the atoms. It takes 40 days to make them. Process is Patented.

Next on the list would be both Krill Oil/Fish Oil Neptune is IMHO the best. 1 has things the other doesn't.

I would also suggest a good Whey Protein, as protein is the building block of life, and in latin it means of First Importance.

Dorian Yates has great Whey Protein Supplements.

CoQ10 all not created equally.

Drink .6 oz clean water for every lb bodyweight if not exercising. More of you exercise. All liquids count. My Urologist says Tap Water is an inflammatory agent, because of all the chemicals. He recommended either Reverse Osmosis/Distilled Water.

#1 thing is Diet and eating/drinking cleanly.

Supplements are what they say they are. Supplements. If diet is bad all the supplements on earth wont do any good.

Super Spectrim.

They also make No Iron Formula, and Vegetarian.

* 2 Tablet Contain
Vitamin Formula
% RDA
Beta Carotene (as pro-Vitamin A 0.6 mg) ) 1,000 I.U. 20%
Vitamin A (from Retinyl Palmitate) 4,000 I.U. 80%
Vitamin C (as Ascorbic Acid) 60 mg 100%
Vitamin D (as Ergocalciferol) 100 I.U. 25%
Vitamin E (from d Alpha Tocopheryl Succinate) 30 I.U. 100%
Thiamine B-1 (from Thiamine HCI) 1.5 mg 100%
Riboflavin 1.7 mg 100%
Niacin (as Niacinamide) 20 mg 100%
Vitamin B-6 (as Pyridoxine HCI) 2 mg 100%
Folic Acid 400 mcg 100%
Vitamin B-12 (Cyanocobalmin) 6 mcg 100%
Biotin 300 mcg 100%
Pantothenic Acid (from Calcium d-Pantothenate) 10 mg 100%
Mineral Formula (Chelated)
Calcium (from Di Calcium Phosphate) 125 mg 12.5%
Calcium (from Calcium Carbonate) 125 mg 12.5%
Iodine (from Potassium Iodine) 150 mcg 100%
Magnesium (from Magnesium Oxide) 75 mg 19%
Zinc ( from Amino Acid Chelate) 15 mg 100%
Selenium (from L-Selenomethionine) 35 mcg 50%
Copper (from Amino Acid Chelate) 1 mg 50%
Manganese (from Amino Acid Chelate) 2 mg 100%
Chromium (from AAC**) (Chelavite®) 60 mcg 50%
Molybdenum (from Molybdate Sodium Dihydrate) 35 mcg 47%
Potassium (from Potassium Chloride) 40 mg 1%
Proprietary Nutrient Support Blend: 360 mcg**

Boron (from Boron Citrate), Lutein (from Marigold Extract), Lycopene (from Natural Tomato Extract), Vanadium (from Vanadyl Sulfate)
Other Ingredients Other Ingredients: Microcrystalline Cellulose, Stearic Acid (vegetable source), Methocel, Magnesium Stearate (vegetable source) and Silicon Dioxide.
+ Percent daily values are based upon a 2,000 calorie diet.
** U.S. RDA not established.
Vitamin E from soy. Chromium Chelavite® is a registered trademark of Albion Labs.
AAC** = Amino Acid Chelate
Not manufactured with wheat, gluten, milk, egg, fish, shellfish or tree nut ingredients. Produced in a GMP facility that processes other ingredients containing these allergens.

MORE INFO: Buffered, No Sugar, No Starch, No Gluten, No Artificial Color, No Artificial Sweeteners, Cold Processed
Taking two tablets of Super Spectrim daily provides you with the optimal amount of the vital nutrients without mega dosing.

john beddoe

great info so far guys! Keep it coming!

Yes, i minimise my consumption of sugars. I used xylitol if i do. I consider myself to have a good diet and for the last couple of months, i have done intermittent fasting- basically just not eating after about 7pm and then not until about 11am the next day. I lost some much needed body fat and feel better.

71strat

I also don't really recommend fasting.

After a certain amount of hours of not supplying your body with high quality protein, your body goes into a Catabolic State, which means you are using yourself/Protein Stores, for Energy.

You should try and achieve an Anabolic State, and keep it there by consuming many small meals often, that contain Protein.

Bodybuilders have the Lowest Bodyfat of any athlete, They don't fast even when on a diet. They simply reduce Calories, Carbs and fats in certain ratios, but usually maintain high protein levels.

Also not saying you are wanting to be a competitive bodybuilder, but there is much to be learned from them, if diet control ect is a goal.

Female bbdr's have an even harder time losing fat because of estrogen, and usually have to carry their contest diet regimes longer than men.

1 of the reasons bodybuilders started using Whey Protein + Casein is to drink it before bed, as it is very slowly digested, and it will keep the body in an Anabolic State while sleeping. MOst bodybuilders would get up 4 hours after going to bed to consume some type of food. With time release/slow release Whey, they don't have to do this anymore.

Whey was also originally developed for trauma patients in burn units. In the 90s.

Also if you fast your body can think it is going to be starved, and you can be on the road to making your metabolism resistant to dieting.

Small meals often, will rev up your metabolism, and in reality, you will feel like you are eating to much food. But you aren't.

Also for basic number of calories per day, I recommend that you calculate your IDEAL Bodyweight, then multiply that by 10.

Example 180lbs x 10 = 1800 calories. Give or take 200-300 calories either way for slight metabolic differences.

Then split that up into 3 meals and 3 snacks. 3 x 400 calorie meals x 3 200 calorie snacks, including protein shake before bed.

Think about the word Breakfast. split it in half ? Break-Fast.

You are breaking a fast. If your trying to preserve every last oz of muscle mass, I wouldn't fast. Regularly anyway. YMMV.

As we age.. Past 30. Men can lose 1% of lean body mass for each year. By the time you are 60 ( Im 57 ) you could have lost 30% of lean body mass, unless you do consistent weight bearing exercise. Hard Labor 3-5 days a week qualifies as weight bearing.

So we are already going to lose muscle mass... Even if we do exercise, albeit very much slower, and at a later date. So why have the body in a Catabolic State for hours on end everyday ? Doesn't make sense to me.

I also don't eat any artificial flavorings/sweeteners.. I would use raw sugar first.

No artificial colors, or preservatives. No white flour. No Hydrogenated oils. I haven't had 1 sip of any kind of soda since 1978. As in none.

But if it comes down to Stevia, Sucralose, ect. Give me sugar. There is no free lunch, and these artificial sweeteners have also been linked to Metabolic Syndrome.

stevel

OP, I'd exhaust the "natural" approach first: Diet and Exercise.

And don't "go on a diet".

Eat right in the first place, from now on.

It's so funny - basically it's been proven time and time again that the stuff that your momma told you is what's good for you.

In fact, we all absolutely know what's good for us, we just don't want to do it. It's why there are all these "diets" and "supplements" and so on out there.

It's like the guitar players who refuse to learn anything about music. They're always looking for a short cut - "which video will help me play better?". You don't need a video, you need to learn music.

Skip the shortcuts.

Eat right.

Vegetables. I'm sorry. Momma was right. They pretty much have everything you need. Leafy Greens, Cruciferous vegetables, Beans, and so on.

Then, fruits (preferably the fruiting bodies of plants we consider vegetables, like Red Pepper and Tomato).

Pretty much, Green, Red, and Orange. Watercress, Spinach, Bok Choy, Cabbage, Lettuce, Collards, Kale, Avacado, Red Peppers, Tomatoes, Apples, Carrots, Citrus, Sweet Potato, etc.

Animals - Salmon (sockeye), Mackerel, Trout, then on to other things. If you must eat land animals, Turkey, then Chicken. Beef should be way down the list and consumed rarely, if at all, despite all these people blah blah blah. You can get the iron and protein from sources that don't have the cholesterol and saturated fat.

Stay away from "white" stuff - Sugar, Salt, White Rice, White Bread, Potatoes (especially without the skin), Dairy (except 0% fat and preferably high protein, like Greek Yogurt).

If you have to eat grains, go with Quinoa, Bulger Wheat, and other Whole Grains (with as little sodium, sugar, and bad fats as possible).

I ate like this for a year, going completely vegetarian for a month at a time, with a few weeks in between (like vacation or visits to relatives) where I ate meat and I would have seafood now and then (so pescetarian I guess for some stretches on and off).

And I walked an hour a day.

I felt so much better. Aches and pains gone. Lost weight. Literally being lighter made me physically lighter on my feet - able to move around more quickly and felt like moving quickly! I had some troubles with nerve pain and tingling in my arm when I moved my head a certain way and if I raised my arm above my head it would go pins and needles. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to play anymore so I started this regimen.

Felt great, lost weight, and felt better about myself mentally and physically, which I guess made me feel better psychologically.

However, life happened, and I went off the wagon. Started eating poorly. Ran out of time to exercise (damn job!) and more recently, started back on the sodas and getting 3 tacos instead of just 1, adding cheese, eating more burgers (damn 5 guys) and Pizzas (Chanello's is soooooo gooooood - I was ordering a no-cheese pizza from this one place!).

But the weight came back on. Getting winded climbing stairs (also stopped gigging so that didn't help). A little messing around and you can feel the clothes boa constricting around you!

So I started last week walking again (Daylight Savings Time helps because it's light in the evening - and it's warmer now) and going back to eating right - making dinner at home - healthy stuff. Rest of the fam cries about not having meat, and we do love it so, but have tried to do 1 salmon and 2 chicken, then vegetarian (pasta or chili, which are easy to make vegetarian) with 1 (instead of 2) healthy sides - Spinach Salad, Broccoli, Asparagus, Red Peppers, Tabouleh, Quinoa, etc. Apple a day too. Fruit for snacks (grapes, raisins, blueberries, etc.)

What I found last time was I had to go hard core at home on my own and order very wisely at lunch (I'd go to KFC and order Green Beans and Corn on the Cob only) and really tone down at restaurants (share a meal, and eat only the healthiest parts) so that when I got to a situation like an outing that had Hot Dogs and Burgers, and Mayo-based Starch sides, I'd be able to eat something one-off without feeling like I was killing myself.

But I felt really good and need to get back to that point.

If, then, supplements help, I'd add them in. But I think if you eat right (actual right, not all the BS and fads people put online and in diet sales pitches) you shouldn't really need any supplements other than diagnosed deficiencies either in your diet (because you can't tolerate something you need) or your body's inability to process certain things.

Good Luck.
Steve

john beddoe

i already eat very well and also exercise regularly, do kettlebells, yoga, meditate and also an Alexander Technique teacher (postural bodywork).
Despite eating well, I know even eating organics (which i do mostly) is still not providing me with all the nutrients i need. Thats just a fact from soil damage and products produced in this age.

Hence, the interest in supplements, not just to help some tendonitis but also forward thinking into the future in terms of long term preventative care.

I make bone broth from organic beef bones and believe this is providing me with the collagen, MSM, etc for joint health.

As for intermittent fasting, i used to have the same view as 71strat and found it hard to accept any kind of fasting idea. Missing breakfast? crazy, i thought.
To use, 71strat's language but turn it around...breakfast= break + fast. For me, i simply extend the time i break my fast and start eating about 11am. I also don't eat after dinner, around 7pm. Effectively, i have fasted for 16hrs. For me, it has worked very well and i have been doing it since November. I finally lost some stomach fat and feel considerably more vital. During the time i eat, i eat regularly and eat well.

In the end, what works for, i guess.

keep the ideas coming guys!

trap

Turmeric with added curcumin . I get it from Puritans Pride . Good prices. Works great! Keeps down inflammation.

gennation

Cocaine and hookers ;)

I only take a few things: Vitamin C, D3, low dose aspirin, and fiber.

Not sure if any of those have either positive or negative effects on my playing. I do eat more healthy than most people I know, very little to no sugar at all, no bread/starchy stuff. I do get carbs through beer though. Coffee in the morning, water in the afternoon, and beer and water at night (got to stay hydrated). I eat egg whites every morning, and some type of lunch like turkey and cheese (no bread), and I snack on nuts and veggies with hummus or peanut butter or something. No straight up creams though except for some cottage cheese here and there.

I used to exercise every day religiously for about 3 years doing about 500 crunches every morning as well as lumber stuff in the yard (chainsaw, manually splitting wood with an axe), and I still do as much walking as I can. I sold my house so no more lumber stuff but I still exercise 2-3 mornings a week but now it's mostly doing planks for the core along with stretching and a couple of specific crunches that help my back. Now that winters breaking I'll be out walking a couple of days a week again.

At 53 years old my fingers have slowed down some, if I don't play for a couple of day (which is REALLY rare) it takes me some to getting things up to speed. I need to play some everyday to keep me at my tops.

I've thought about some of those joint supplements but at my age I don't want to change too much...it would be like doing an engine flush at 500,000 miles...if it's still working, I ain't messing with it.

Astaxanthin might be a new one to look at. You can get it from salmon, krill, and seafoods. Just like other anti-oxidants, there are argument for/against taking it in supplement form vs. eating it in seafood - particularly how much concentration of it is needed to enjoy it benefits.

http://health.cvs.com/GetContent.aspx?token=f75979d3-9c7c-4b16-af56-3e122a3f19e3&chunkiid=160132

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-suppl...dientid=1063&activeingredientname=astaxanthin

I wouldn't count on any one antioxidant to solve all my problems though. Better to get a variety from eating foods high in these things (dark leafy veggies, squash, berries of all sorts, almonds, walnuts, fish, etc.).

I'm still learning about proper food preparation myself. For example I only recently learned that it's a good idea to combine turmeric with black pepper and a fat source, such as olive or coconut oil, to improve the absorption of curcumin by the body

Last edited:

frdagaa

Gold Supporting Member
i already eat very well and also exercise regularly, do kettlebells, yoga, meditate and also an Alexander Technique teacher (postural bodywork).
Despite eating well, I know even eating organics (which i do mostly) is still not providing me with all the nutrients i need. Thats just a fact from soil damage and products produced in this age.

Hence, the interest in supplements, not just to help some tendonitis but also forward thinking into the future in terms of long term preventative care.

I make bone broth from organic beef bones and believe this is providing me with the collagen, MSM, etc for joint health.

As for intermittent fasting, i used to have the same view as 71strat and found it hard to accept any kind of fasting idea. Missing breakfast? crazy, i thought.
To use, 71strat's language but turn it around...breakfast= break + fast. For me, i simply extend the time i break my fast and start eating about 11am. I also don't eat after dinner, around 7pm. Effectively, i have fasted for 16hrs. For me, it has worked very well and i have been doing it since November. I finally lost some stomach fat and feel considerably more vital. During the time i eat, i eat regularly and eat well.

In the end, what works for, i guess.

keep the ideas coming guys!
Really? Sounds like you're just buying in to the multi billion $ supplement industry that fundamentally is no different than the snake oil salesmen working out of horse-drawn carts in the old west that we laugh at now. Actually I'm not opposed to supplements, and take some fish oil and vitamin E and have considered chondroitin, MSM , etc. But a healthy dose of skepticism is my constant ally. Without it, the koolaid is too easily drunk.

Michael Pollan got it right. "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants."

And of course exercise.

Last edited:

71strat

Most supplementation is Bogus.

Even vitamins are mostly a scam. Most of them you only absorb 8%-15%.

The reason to take vitamins is to insure youre getting what you need, because of what you aren't eating.

To really be healthy the main thing is to eat right, and drink plenty of clean water.

There is no shortcut, and most supplementation is money down the toilet. Literally.

Ive been doing Powerlifting/Marathon Running, and did the Western States 100 Mile Ultra in under 24 hours, ( 22:31 ) back in the early 80s. I started working out in 1978. I was also 1985 AAU KY Powerlifting champ at 148lbs. I had a 1365lbs total. Including a 350lbs Bench at 148lbs. 500 Squat, and 515 Deadlift. I still can do 325 at 57 years old, and can still run a sub 42 minute 10K, and a sub 6 minutes mile. Last week I Pause Benched 225 18 times on bench. Still at 148lbs, and Squatted/Full Squat 225 for 45 reps. 1 set. Most guys half my age don't want to workout with me after the 1st time. I also still run 30 miles a week. I have done 150 in a week. For 3 months. Years ago.

But people try and make things to complicated. #1 you have to eat well. #2 you may supplement with a really good vitamin.. of which for me there is only 1 when it come to absorption, and it is without competition. All I will say is NASA uses Super Spectrim.

And maybe a good Whey Protein Supplement like what Dorian Yates sells.

Other than that ? Eat your fruits, veggies, and make sure you get 40 grams of fiber.

If you want to get technical ?

Figure out how many grams of Carbs, Fats, and Protein are needed for your bodyweight.

I used to have a blood test done every month back in the 80s so I could see what I was deficient in, and adjust my diet accordingly.

I exercised way above the norm, and changed things often, and different stresses make the body use different vitamin/mineral reserves. STRESS.

So if you want to get technical. Have a blood test done each month to see if the Diet/Supplementation is working. Or Not.

Last edited:

Trending Topics