Hearing Loss: finally getting checked out...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Tony, May 3, 2016.

1. Tony

Tony Supporting Member

In the waiting room at the audiologist about to get my hearing checked out. We'll see what 25ish years of rock and roll has done to my hearing.

Any bets on what frequencies will show the most hearing loss? I'm betting highs & high mids.

2. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

Is that why us old dogs are always bumping up the mids??:eek:

deathrider817 and Tony like this.
  3. Tony

Tony Supporting Member

Maybe that's why they're haunting?

Blues Power likes this.
  4. jkendrick

jkendrick Member

My hearing is actually better than most people when it comes to high highs and low lows. But from 500-6000 Hz it's really bad, particularly from 1000-4000 Hz. Naturally scooped mids.

Tony likes this.
  5. Blues Power

Blues Power Member

I just popped $40 bucks on earasers. not sure abut them. they did squat around the house.
    will check it at practice manana noche and see if they do anything.

all positive reviews though.

Tony likes this.
  6. FFTT

FFTT Member

The more you are exposed to sound, the more important it is to have your hearing checked.

Tony likes this.
  7. Headshok

Headshok Member

At least haunting mids won't be a problem any more

deathrider817 and Tony like this.
  8. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

Hey let us know how they go about giving you the test? Im curious because for 27 years now my employer makes us all take a mandatory hearing test in which a company comes to our place of work and performs it.
    Im just wondering if its the same type of test or if going to an actual audiologist is more in depth. thanks

9. Tony

Tony Supporting Member

Aaaaaand the results are in...

Both ears are good down to approx 10b up to 1k (which is within the "normal" range).

My right ear is fine up to 2k but that's where my left ear starts to take a dive.

At 3k it has to be 30db on my right, 40db on my left before I can hear it.

4k = 45db on the right, 55db on my left. Ugh.

I don't get back in "normal" range until about 8k.

Audiologist says:

• This is exactly what she sees in longtime musicians... my results are typical
    • Consonants tend to live in the 1.5k to around 5 or 6k range - this is why I think people are mumbling all the time. I hear the vowels but not the consonants
    • If I was a gardener or something and worked by myself, outdoors, whatever then she wouldn't recommend a hearing aid
    • But since I listen to people for a living (I'm a project manager and spend endless days in meetings) she thinks hearing aids will be beneficial
    So - 39 years old, ordering hearing aids for a trial run. If I could rewind 20 years I would turn it down or wear earplugs.

deathrider817 and Turi like this.
  10. jkendrick

jkendrick Member

The hearing tests I take at my audiologist are pretty simple. They put you into a soundproof room and put ear phones in your ears and give you a little trigger. You merely press the trigger button every time you hear the tone and they audiologist records your responses.

11. Tony

Tony Supporting Member

First she checked to make sure my eardrums aren't damaged. It's a quick test using air pressure.

Then she sat me in a sealed room. It was completely silent except for my tinnitus, haha.

I wore headphones and she played a series of tones at decreasing volumes. I had to indicate by raising my hand each time I heard a tone. First one ear, then the other.

Then she read a list of words (all at the same volume) and asked me to repeat them.

Then she played a clip of someone butchering Politician and asked me whether the mids were haunting or not.

kristian, DamianL and jkendrick like this.
  12. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

Maybe there's just a spoon stuck in there.

rusty and Tony like this.
  13. jkendrick

jkendrick Member

I'm at 55db between 1k-4k, both ears.

14. sixstringfuel

sixstringfuel Hotdogs kill Silver Supporting Member

I have a bunch of hearing loss more from work than music although I am sure some is from music. What I can't stand its as if I have two big conch shells up to each ear and listening to the ocean 24/7. I have a hearing aid for my left ear but it makes the tinnitus louder.

15. Tony

Tony Supporting Member

It has been a real bummer for me having that notch missing from my hearing. Constantly asking my wife and daughter to repeat themselves, etc.

And if we're in a restaurant or something, forget it. Can't understand people.

16. Tony

Tony Supporting Member

I am interested to see how the hearing aid impacts the tinnitus. I understand that it'll be programmed specific to my hearing loss (rather than just making everything louder).

17. jkendrick

jkendrick Member

I hate the phone too. I'm waiting on my hearing aids myself. My hearing loss is congenital, so while it has gotten worse, I have always had this hearing pattern. My audiologist says when they adjust the hearing aids to reflect "normal" hearing it will sound very wrong to me as I've never heard the world that way. She says it will take several weeks of constant use for my brain to adjust to my new normal.

18. wrong_note_rod

wrong_note_rod Member

I went yesterday morning (to an audiologist) and had a terrible diagnosis... significant loss in upper register, tinnitus, and the killer, hyper acusis - an over sensitization to loud noises.

I'm wondering if my days with a rock band are done....

the doctor did recommend expensive hearing aids which would deliver a low dose of constant white noise at the prescribed frequency, to help with the tinnitus. I'm not convinced but considering it.

19. FFTT

FFTT Member

I can't even afford one frequency adjustable hearing aid for my one half working ear.

Also none too pleased how something so expensive can have such a pathetic warranty.

20. sixstringfuel

sixstringfuel Hotdogs kill Silver Supporting Member

Yeah that's what they did with mine but it just got worse. I went back a few times to get it tuned but I gave up on it.

I have a hard time whenever there is a lot of back round noise I can't decipher anything the tv people talking to me. My family all say I always yell when I talk.