Heart - The Midnight Special 1977

ripple

With Kung Fu Grip and Lifelike Hair
Gold Supporting Member
Ok, if it's not obvious by now, I've been sucked into the vortex of Midnight Special videos on youtube. This is the latest one that blew up my skirt: Heart - Crazy On You

Stellar performance from everyone (my God - Ann's voice!).

This band (with this lineup of players) was a monumental force of nature.. too bad they couldn't keep it together.

Even though this is not my favorite Heart tune, the studio arrangement is perfectly covered live and they flat smoke this performance.

This show was just a non-stop parade of bands/performers bringin' their A-game.

Dig it!

custom53

I went to one of their shows on their first tour. Apparently they weren't all that popular at the time because the place was close to empty.
But, it was one of the best shows I have been to. They really rocked the place.. They were perfect that night. Great Show...

Side note... Years later Ann Wilson and Mike Reno of "Loverboy" did a solo tour, after they both had "plumped" up a bit.. Quite a few audience members, not myself, started throwing "Twinkies" on stage.. A bit low class if you ask me though..

Last edited:

marktweedy

In Transit®
Keep 'em coming OP!

I have seen this one before, too. Ann and Nancy were (and are) simply outstanding musicians. And you are right, they just nailed the studio version live. Very impressive.

Marc Roy

Killer! The Midnight Special is a bit before my time but it sure looks like there have been some serious performances on that program. This one by Heart is no exception.

MrX

Heart was simply amazing live. I was a huge fan and never missed a show in the 70's.

freedom's door

Heart's music from the 70's is timeless. Their stuff from the 80's, not so much.
Great ive band, especially with the lineup in the OP, which is the band at it's best IMO.

Custom50

Agreed, wish this line-up lasted longer. They were never the same after losing Roger Fisher.

MoPho

Formerly tripp2k
Silver Supporting Member
I couldn't wait to see Don Kirshner's Rock Concert and Midnight Special. Very influentnial for me other than I still am a wanna be rockstar and are about as far away from it as possible. I remember watching that episode with Heart.

gennation

Midnight Special, Don Kirshners Rock Concert, and ABC's In Concert were never missed when I was a kid. THEY were my weekend between 10 and 12 years old...then disco hit :( and bands like Focus, Todd Rudgren, and Steely Dan were replaced with Donna Summers and KC and the Sunshine Band :(

Dude, wait until you run into Bowie on Midnight Special when he took it over for the night for his 1980 Floor Show. It was a crazy title since it was in 1972 or 1973, but it was the end of Ziggy and the last real performance with the Spiders. It's an incredible night of a mix of live and canned performances and heavy on the theatrics too.

Last edited:

rwe333

Silver Supporting Member
Such a unique band back then. Just great, Fisher et al. Ann managed to get even stronger as the years/decades wore on, though the band lost much of its soul & identity (IMHO) post-Roger (and, his fault!). That said, they've put together some great touring bands in recent years: Ann very much the focus (as it should be). Nancy? Always solid, of course.

John C

Gold Supporting Member
That's what happens when you dip your pen in the company ink.
Interestingly enough Heart was really the Fishers band; Roger and Steve Fossen (bass) started the band, and while searching for singers eventually found Ann Wilson. Ann fell for Roger's brother Michael, who was dodging the draft up in Canada, and went up there to be with him. The band followed and Michael became their manager (when they got signed he moved down to just "road manager" and they got a pro manager). When Nancy joined Roger hooked up with her. So he winds up out of the band he founded, brother Mike gets tossed aside, and the Wilson sisters wind up running the show.

Smakutus

I used to own a Travis Bean exactly like the one Roger Fisher is playing there.. The recording of his is odd sounding though. Mine was a good sounding guitar but I got a lot of feedback from those pickups. Nancy is awesome. Heart is awesome.

Jeff

scott944

I used to own a Travis Bean exactly like the one Roger Fisher is playing there.. The recording of his is odd sounding though. Mine was a good sounding guitar but I got a lot of feedback from those pickups. Nancy is awesome. Heart is awesome.

Jeff
I found one of those, a black one but otherwise identical, in a pawn shop in Myrtle Beach, SC, a couple of decades ago, while on vacation. $300. Man, you could find cool stuff for cheap in pawnshops before the internet!

Great video! Howard Leese is still 3 years away from buying the very first flame maple PRS.

Trending Topics