Heart - The Midnight Special 1977

rwe333

Silver Supporting Member
Interestingly enough Heart was really the Fishers band; Roger and Steve Fossen (bass) started the band, and while searching for singers eventually found Ann Wilson. Ann fell for Roger's brother Michael, who was dodging the draft up in Canada, and went up there to be with him. The band followed and Michael became their manager (when they got signed he moved down to just "road manager" and they got a pro manager). When Nancy joined Roger hooked up with her. So he winds up out of the band he founded, brother Mike gets tossed aside, and the Wilson sisters wind up running the show.
Roger screwed around on Nancy. That set the train on subsequent derail...

John C

Gold Supporting Member
Roger screwed around on Nancy. That set the train on subsequent derail...
That's what I've read as well - but it's still interesting that by the time he did that the balance of power in the band had shifted from Roger and Steve Fossen, the band's founders, to Ann and Nancy. So it became an unsurvivable situation for him.

TNJ

Gold Supporting Member
Love that era of Heart…let's not forget Mr. Derosier!!! :dude
And Fisher was THE guitar badass in that band, IMO.

S.
j

gtrdave

Silver Supporting Member
That's what I've read as well - but it's still interesting that by the time he did that the balance of power in the band had shifted from Roger and Steve Fossen, the band's founders, to Ann and Nancy. So it became an unsurvivable situation for him.
True, but the popular identity of the band Heart...the main reason people listened to them...was because of Ann and Nancy.
Granted, I think the songwriting and arranging tanked when the Fishers departed and honestly has never since risen back up to the level of the pre-Bebe le Strange era music, imho, but the face of the band is not in the founders but in the Wilsons.

Kind of like Journey and Steve Perry...

WorkinSteamin

Not to derail the conversation about Heart (whose "Dreamboat Annie" I was able to check out this morning thanks to Spotify), but The Midnight Special was, well, pretty special. A 14-year-old me would eagerly await the LA Times' "TV Times" to see who was on that week. (I also checked "In Concert" and "Don Kirshner's Rock Concert".) Nostalgia-seekers, this should keep you entertained for around four hours...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_uljTW4P28IMo3eCBjXzZPkT9uYgj30o

An nary a lip-synch in the bunch.

Smakutus

Love that era of Heart…let's not forget Mr. Derosier!!! :dude
And Fisher was THE guitar badass in that band, IMO.

S.
j
I don't think bad ass is the correct word for Roger.. They did lose something musically when they canned him but his frilly frallaking on stage act always reminds me of watching someone who has never really played guitar pretending to do so in a movie or TV show.

Jeff

daveg777

Platinum Supporting Member
Ok, if it's not obvious by now, I've been sucked into the vortex of Midnight Special videos on youtube. This is the latest one that blew up my skirt: Heart - Crazy On You

Stellar performance from everyone (my God - Ann's voice!).

This band (with this lineup of players) was a monumental force of nature.. too bad they couldn't keep it together.

Even though this is not my favorite Heart tune, the studio arrangement is perfectly covered live and they flat smoke this performance.

This show was just a non-stop parade of bands/performers bringin' their A-game.

Dig it!
LOVE Ann's vocals, however check this performance from Pat and Neal.....

TNJ

Gold Supporting Member
I don't think bad ass is the correct word for Roger.. They did lose something musically when they canned him but his frilly frallaking on stage act always reminds me of watching someone who has never really played guitar pretending to do so in a movie or TV show.

Jeff
Wrt guitarists, ears over eyes if it comes to that, which it never has for me.
Heart became something different when he was shown the door.
(I realize it was the only decision)

S.
j

Kallie

Heart

The band's 1st appearance on Bert Sugarman's Midnight Special was on
Friday Night {1:00 AM EST} March 4, 1977.

Their performance was taped on Tuesday, March 1st at the NBC Color Studio's in
Burbank, California.

They performed in order;
1 .... 'Magic Man'
2 .... 'Sing Child'
3 ..... 'Dreamboat Annie' {Fantasy Child}
4 ..... 'Soul of the Sea'
5 ..... 'White Lightning and Wine'
6 ..... 'Silver Wheels'
7 ..... 'Crazy On You'

There was some editing done, before it was aired a few days later.
'Sing Child' and 'Soul of the Sea' were edited out.

And the songs were re-aligned for the Television broadcast to;

General Fact:
Studio '2' at the NBC Color Studio's in Burbank only held about 450 people.

Last edited:

Trending Topics