Heartbreaker solos (Zeppelin)

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Alejandro, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Alejandro

Alejandro Supporting Member

Does anyone know where I can find an accurate TAB?. I am having problems with some fast parts in both solos, specially with the timing
    Anyway, I would like to hear your opinions about this legendary solo.

2. gennation

gennation Member

I've dug it since first hearing it when it came out. In the 70's I learned it using a record player that went down to 16 speed. It was about half as fast and about an octave lower. For some reason that octave allowed you to hear timbre/positions/strings much better when figuring out WHERE people played stuff.

Don't have tabs but still mess around with it from time to time.

3. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

That's so sloppy I don't know how you could accurately transcribe it. I knew a guy who might pickup his guitar once every two months, he could play it and sound just like the recording.

4. jrkoosh

jrkoosh Silver Supporting Member

get drunk first

5. Free

Free Member

Actually snort a line first - I imagine Page was for that one. Honestly. He mentioned himself in interview how drugs helped him in the studio. This is tongue in cheek of course - Coke SUCKS.

6. Elektrik_SIxx

Elektrik_SIxx Member

You guys have it wrong! You need to stuff pieces of shark into a groupie first (preferably at the Edgewater Inn) before you can make sense in the studio.

7. countandduke

countandduke Member

Jimmy is the perfect example that technique and chops ain't all that. That particular solo is one of the sloppiest I have ever heard and I dig it!!! I think it's all pentatonic bases so just "go for it". Most of the tab books out there will get you pretty close, but again, I wouldn't strive for a note for note thing with that solo....Stairway maybe, but even Jimmy wouldn't play it the same way twice...

Good luck...

Chris

8. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Well actually Chris he was trying to play fast. He just couldn't. He was going for speed for speed's sake just like everyone does from time to time. I always forward that part up, can't stand it. But I love his riffs.

9. Alejandro

So far...then I might improvise over Am pentatonic blues scale in triplets and this it. Seems to be a pentatonic sloop, but I like it. I don't know, it's a weird solo but with..all attitude for being 1972.

It's like Sympathy for the Devil (Live version from Get yer ya-ya's out!)...first solo Keith and then Mick Taylor. Always were magical solos for me!.

10. jrkoosh

jrkoosh Silver Supporting Member

that Sympathy is bad-ass! Crazy sixths after the solo- I use those when we play it (after doing a studio flavored solo). Love the MJM fuzz on that

11. Clutch21286

Clutch21286 Member

Get a Led Zep tab book. $10-20!

12. wil

wil Member

There is a tab book by Warner Chappell/Rittor called Super Rock Guitarist Series - Jimmy Page Vol. 1. This has a complete tab for Heartbreaker with solos. The tabs for the solos sound very accurate.

13. countandduke

countandduke Member

Okay....thanks for correcting me.... I actually thought was just trying to play a solo. But thanks for pointing out that he was actually just trying to play fast, but can't.....;)

14. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

I prefer it to many of the metronome-based solos that followed in the 80s & 90s.

15. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

:D I do agree with ya on getting the spirit of it and improvising a bit with it and the Stairway solo would be a better choice of note for note study.

16. countandduke

countandduke Member

17. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

Funny, I've been working on this myself. I've got the tab from Guitar World. I can scan into a .pdf file and e-mail it if you'd like.

18. little cyress

little cyress Member

i like that slow part just before he tries to play fast again on the A string
    X X X X X X that's the the Pagiest thing Page ever played... its evil and melodic at the same time

19. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

OT: This whole part of Page is so misunderstood. In visual arts there's a thing called looseness that describes what he is doing. It's the opposite of what you see here where everyone over-produces and over-works everything until all the life in it vanishes. It's the number one career killer in the arts and makes for boring work. Read this interview for a little more insight into what the man was actually doing.

Page Article

20. Alejandro

Oh please! Many thanks
    I already have the first solo pretty good
    Now I am working in the last 10 seconds of the last solo. I cannot hear very well what Page is doing because is a chaos of cymbals and guitars
    Anyway I am performing this in my strats, I guess is time to tell wife that I need a Les Paul ASAP because:

[SIZE=-1]"I've got blisters on my fingers!"[/SIZE] (quoting Ringo--Let it Be):puh