Heat of the Moment solo is great

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by DrSax, Feb 13, 2015.

1. DrSax

DrSax Member

solo by Steve Howe. Just heard it on the radio, I've always loved it....

2. Oldnewby

Oldnewby Member

This is a funny topic for me because I listed this solo as the worst ever in a thread some time ago. It's also funny that the video you posted fades out right before the solo ends in a complete train wreck. My imagination has generated several possible explanations for using this solo on the record.

1. The producer thought that Steve Howe was a Diva and wanted to embarrass him.
    2. They ran out of budget for the recording and chose the best scratch track available.
    3. Steve Howe and everyone else involved was completely stoned during the recording of this track.
    4. They were trying to get ahead of the coming grunge wave by discrediting virtuosity.

:dunno

I completely respect your opinion about this solo (if you are serious) but the playing and the tone sound like nails on a chalkboard to me. :beer

3. kooper156

kooper156 Member

Let's take a poll. I like it, so now it's 2 to 1

4. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

Kinda sounds like someone trying to figure out what the key is :dunno

2 to 2 ;)

5. spakuloid

spakuloid Member

I always liked the solo and hated those damn marching band snare fills. How totally inappropriate to put marching band snare fills over that song!

6. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I like it. I wouldn't put it in Howe's best, but it sounds like him on his Tele IMHO. I am sure the egoes in that room were huge, so maybe he was dealing with others being divas. :dunno

7. Jayboca

Jayboca Member

I dislike everything about the solo section - the guitar and drums especially. It's either some super advanced avant-garde stuff or a pile of poop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. DrSax

DrSax Member

Damn I didn't check the vid to see if it had the solo LOL. Rushing at work....

And I'm definitely serious.

9. bayAreaDude

bayAreaDude Member

Don't like. Torture.

10. 6Tones

6Tones Supporting Member

I always liked that song and the solo is fine ,never thought anything negative about it.

11. DrSax

DrSax Member

I think it would be a good litmus test for compatible bandmates for me....

In other news: I'm sensing a thread fail

12. GLB98

GLB98 Member

Funny that this thread would appear now. Just today I listened to this awful song all the way through for the first time in decades, only in order to practice my singing. Man oh man it sucks - the song that is, and my singing as well. And I thought the guitar solo perfectly matches the song.

13. dazco

dazco Member

Hmmm...i never followed asia so i'm unaware of the linup at various points. But i always thought that solo was trevor rabin. Now is see it was howe, but never the less i certainly don't find it crappy. I find it a refreshing departure from the non musical never ending shred BS that came after it, especially in the late 80's. It may not be a technically great solo but theres some musical feel and phrasing there that whether you like it or not is undeniable IMO. I rather like it and i think more people would if they listened to it as a musical part of the song and not as a guitar playing solo in a competitive sense. It has the somewhat rare attribute IMO of being like a little mini song within the song. I think he accomplished something with it that most players never quite reach.

I'm sure that sounded like i think it's genius. I don't. I find it good but i don't even feel anywhere near as the OP does about it. But man, I can't fathom why most here are trashing it. You wanna trash something, there are lots of players that have great tech but thier solos are scalar wank fests that can't possibly be taken seriously as a integral part of the song. I won't mention names, but a lot of that stuff is praised here and THAT is what i don't get.

14. Nystuss

Nystuss Member

I don't really like it. The playing feels out of time and he treats the "key" as more of guideline than an actual rule.

15. Two-Octave

Two-Octave Member

Wow.

I remember that song. --- Painful to hear then,comical now.

16. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Supporting Member

That solo sounds like he's wrestling with the rest of the band while trying to play... or something similarly unmusical.

17. Calaban

Calaban Member

I'm with the OP.

I also heard it the other day for the first time in many years and totally dug the solo. It's completely unique and interesting.

And by the way, it's completely in the right key. He might play a few tones outside the scale but it's rare. It's completely tonal and works just fine.

18. spakuloid

spakuloid Member

If you have a song called "heat of the moment" with a solo section, you should play a bit like you are in the heat of the moment to accentuate the fact. It sounds great and spontaneous to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. Ampedusa

Ampedusa Member

yeah, I don't know
    :dunno

I do like Yes and Steve Howe in general. "Mood For A Day" has a special place in my heart.

20. Brian D

Brian D Member

I respect it and even appreciate it, but it isn't one of my favorite solos.