• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Heating to Adjust Neck Bow?

cander328

Having a guitar setup that is going to require heating to adjust a pretty significant bow. Will this be a permanent solution?

benagain

Silver Supporting Member
i think that if the guitar is exposed to the same conditions as before no .. meaning if goes back and forth between extremes ( hot/cold ) it would do it again .. is there no truss rod?

cander328

There is a truss rod but apparently he was not able to get it straight with those adjustments alone.

benagain

Silver Supporting Member
wow ( on the truss rod). maybe a guitar humidifier could help also if its not going between extreme temperatures..

Jack Briggs

I've done this sort of remedy many times, and done correctly it can be a permanent fix. I try it before anything as intensive as refretting. You've got nothing to lose.

Cheers,

Crowbar

I've only seen a few repairs where the neck or the top was bent back to straight. They all looked good when they got back from the shop, but the repairs failed within a year. Acoustic guitars that is.
Good luck widdit.

cander328

Thanks for all the comments. It is a slab board strat neck so I am hoping for the best!

I've only seen a few repairs where the neck or the top was bent back to straight. They all looked good when they got back from the shop, but the repairs failed within a year. Acoustic guitars that is.
Good luck widdit.

9fingers

Silver Supporting Member
I have done it twice, Tele & Strat, both rosewood boards. Both times it took a couple of 30 minutes heatings, cooling overnight still clamped. Both guitars are holding fine after 2-3 years string tension. I understand that sometimes it may not do the trick but I found it was certainly worth the try. Truss rod was maxed out in both cases, with the head end Fender allen adjustment buried under the walnut plug, so added washers were not an alternative. I backed off the truss rod nut before the heat pressing of course, and have plenty of adjustment now.

Rosewood

Thanks for all the comments. It is a slab board strat neck so I am hoping for the best!
You'll have the best chance for success with a slab board or any separate fingerboard/neck as opposed to a all one piece maple neck because the heat will slip the fingerboard glue joint and reset when cool.

The Pup

No Complexity Without Value
I have done it with older Martins with very good and lasting success.

boogiemantoo

I just did it too mine and so far so good , afterwards tune it up a half step and lean it against the wall by the headstock when not playing it for a few days .

Trending Topics