Heatley Standard under contruction

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by lscottk, Mar 19, 2008.

1. lscottk

lscottk Member

Here are some pics of the Heatley Standard that Scott is building for me. It is so gorgeous I just had to share. Feel free to post pics of your Heatley as well. Enjoy! :BEER

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

Nice! That's gonna be a monster. :drool

3. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Yousa!!! Why didn't you get some figured wood?;):D That's awesome!!!

Scott's stuff is always so killer.

Love his neck joint. Scott should be flattered as I think a few small builders admire it a bit too much as well.;)

4. scott

scott Member

LOL.....ya should I be flattered....Im not sure
    Im not the first one to do that, but it has kinda become a tradmark of my guitars. The new Traditions will have a totally different neck joint. Im workin on getting the necks on a couple of those in the next week.

5. John LeQuire

John LeQuire Member

Wow. That is going to be spectacular!

6. Scottone

Scottone Supporting Member

Looks great...what colour are you going with for the top?

I love my Tradition...it's one guitar that I'll never sell.

7. clarkram

clarkram Member

great looking wood, should give you some great tones.

8. go7

go7 Member

Gonna be great! My Standard is in progress.

9. lscottk

lscottk Member

I live in Seattle. When I decided to have Scott build a guitar for me I took a trip north to Vancouver Island to Scott's shop. Scott was kind enough to let me get involved in choosing the wood. Of course Scott offered plenty of guidance because I don't much of anything about how to choose wood for a guitar. Nevertheless I was able to plunk brazillian rosewood fretboard blanks and choose the raw figured maple top from a stack of planks he had in his stock. It was really geat of Scott to let me do that and it was a lot of fun for me. I had no idea how nice the grain would be. Scott assured me that this would be the case, but it's much nicer than I thought it would be.

As for the color, Scott told me that he has a technique that he uses using red and orange stain that makes the wood seem like flames. He said that it is a really nice looking effect. Scott said that he would send me some pics when he's able.

10. lscottk

lscottk Member

I think that the mahogany on the back is beautiful as the wood on the front. It's obviously more understated, but the grain and color are beautiful are just as beautiful.

The top is a bit of a guilty pleasure as I usually don't like guitars that are as insanely figured as this one. A friend of mine says that guitars this ornately figured are more often used for decoration than for gigging. And I have to admit that the guitar is so beautiful it's going to hurt the first time I ding it on a gig. However, I bought the guitar to be played and used, so I'm going to have to get over it somehow. One of the main reason I chose Scott to build the guitar is all of the rave reviews I read about the tone of his guitars. The beautiful wood is just an added bonus. Still, that first bump is going to be painful . . .

11. lscottk

lscottk Member

I love your tradition. That is a very beautiful guitar. When I visited Scott's shop he had a Koa tradition there that was his personal guitar. I got a chance to crank it during my visit and it sounded great. At that point I figured that I was in the right place.

12. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

Great video! Sounded terrific. :BEER

13. lscottk

lscottk Member

Thanks for sharing the video. Great playing and great tone.

14. Scottone

Scottone Supporting Member

Like this....

[​IMG]

15. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

Wow, I don't usually enthuse over stuff like this, but that top is so gorgeous. I'd be tempted to go with a really natural finish color, just to show off the wood. It looks better to me as it is than any 'burst I've seen in a long, long time.