Heatley vs Driskill

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by BigBone, Jan 1, 2006.

1. BigBone

BigBone Member

Im thinking of ordering one of these guitars. Is there anyone whose been lucky enough to have played both, and willing to compare? thank-you

2. tradarama

tradarama www.PRIMEGUITARS.com Silver Supporting Member

I have had several Driskills and have to say that they are outstanding. I think their finishes and tops are unbelievable. The playability is very nice. I found them to be a tad on the heavy side of the boutique builder guitars I've owned (probably because of the metal pickup rings etc). I thought the tone was very good and overall fantastic instruments worthy of consideration.

My Heatley, was something I got in a trade and expected to "lose" immediately. I started playing it and never put it down. The wood neck bindings, the awesome neck, the fact that it plays like it's broken in...its tone is fat and it sustains forever. I just love my Heatley. I was told it was the one on the front page of his old website...never saw it. I knew nothing about them and tried my best to hate it...but just can't part with it. I love the thing....My Stevens comes very close to having that same appeal to me. I just ordered a 6 string Stevens this week.

3. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Though you wouldn't go wrong with any of the luthiers in this photo (Driskill, Heatly, Thorn), it boils down to personal preference which might be better for you. :)

[​IMG]

4. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

I have played both and I own 3 Driskills, and unfortunately I don't have a Heatley yet. I have been lucky to have gone to both shops and spend time with both great luthiers. Funny thing for me is that, Joe is DFW where my sis lives, and Scott lives 5 min from my brother in law. So I get to visit them when I visit family.

Comparison, well Scott Heatley makes many more different models and Joe Driskills makes 2 but are same body shapes. I would say you have more flexiblity with Scott since he does makes more models and can tweak more options. Joe will put what specs you may want on the Diablo, but its still base around a base diablo guitar. I don't think you can go wrong with either, although Joe is quite backlogged as compared to Scott. If you can wait, then that will not be a problem.

So thats my 2 cents, and I think I need to put a Heatley order in soon myself.

5. BigBone

BigBone Member

thanks for your advice! I'm not familiar with stevens please tell us more
    bb:)

6. Drunkagain

Drunkagain Member

That's a friggin great picture Alec. I'd love to have a guitar from all three of those guys.

7. MOJO

MOJO Member

once my Heatley done, i'll just need a Driskill for a Trifecta:BOUNCE

8. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

i've spoken to Scott a couple of times and was really comfortable with him. Not that I wasn't comfortable with Joe (we only spoke once). Just more so with Scott. Of course I went with a Chapin but that is another story. If you are thinking anything along the lines of a LP, Scott is the man. No doubt about it.

cmn

9. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

In terms of getting a tremendous instrument, you can't go wrong with either. Two very, very talented guys who both make really excellent guitars. Beyond that, it's going boil down to how important all the other factors are to you, feel, ergonomics, materials available, prices, wait time, price and most importantly, how comfortable you feel with each builder.

10. papersoul

papersoul Supporting Member

You could also look at Chafin Custom guitars.....Ben Chafin may build a guitar as good or better. The guy is a genious.

11. jamess

jamess Silver Supporting Member

Hey! That's my guitar Joe is holding! And the master that built it is standing right next to him, Mr. Heatley himself. Great picture Alec.

It's already been said here that you can't go wrong with either guy so I won't get into that. I have personally dealt with both Joe and Scott, but my pocketbook has only allowed one of them to build me a guitar so far and that was Scott. Joe is on my wish list. Scott's work is impeccable in every way. The Rosewood Hollowbody hiding in the photo is a prime example of that. The playability and tone are superb and working with Scott was a pleasure.

My recommendation is to get one of each. Good luck.

12. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I'd go with Heatley only becuase his designs have a vintage modern falir as opposed to the Uber modern driskills...........but both are gonna be great guitars no doubt.