Heavey rock/modern rock tones through clean amps with pedals

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Matybigfro, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Matybigfro

Matybigfro Member

I'm at work and bored, haven't played my guitar properly in a few weeks all my pedals are either diy job's waiting to be finnished or waiting to be sold .
    I have always wondered how feasible heavier/modern rock sounds are with pedals and a clean amp and more importantly if any particular amps or styles of amps work well in this way more than others, we can all know the most popular high gain amps or pedals but what clean amps deliver best with those stompies

So to ammuse me I was wanting fellas who are using amps clean or just past clean then getting there dirt with pedals to share what amps they are using the sort of sounds they are getting (bands or players in the ball park area of your sounds) and any links they have to their rigs sounds

2. jhumber

jhumber Member

I'll play....

I currently run a Dr Z Maz 38, which is set clean. This basic tone is stunning - love the Maz.

For dirt pedals, I'm using Xotic BB, Xotic RC, and a Mad Professor Mighty Red Distortion.

The MP MRD is a heavy sounding pedal. I play in a Queen tribute band now and then and that pedal really kicks ass in that setting. In covers bands, it also covers alot of Guns n Roses, Bon Jovi, RATM and similar grounds.

The BB is a lighter overdrive, which I use for more of a Rolling Stones type drive. When combined with the MRD the two create a huge thick tone.

The RC is kicked in now and then as a signal boost on either the BB or the MRD. I never have all 3 on together - it'd be ridiculously loud.

At the front of the chain, if I'm using my strat, I'll have a BJF Pine Green Compressor on most of the time.

Cheers
    Jordan.

3. theraygun

theraygun Member

Vox AC30 + Rat will get you modern rock tones for sure.

4. Matybigfro

Matybigfro Member

also just to be pedantic
    speakers aswelll - open or closed combos, blues, green, blacks or something totally different
    also describle clean tones
    warm or bright, slight over or clean as a whistle and loads of head room, treblly, punch, bassy, chimmey that would be cool to know too

5. felim

felim Member

I use a Marshall Silver Jubilee 2554 combo and I have the lead channel set to just about breaking up. A Marshall Jackhammer into the front end gives me modern rock tones. Anything from Tool to Metallica. Here's a crappy clip (download link on the right of the page) I recorded just after I got the amp, I've tweaked it a little since then but you'll get the idea of gain level at least:

http://www.wikiupload.com/download_page.php?id=44311

The usual disclaimers regarding crap sound quality and playing....

6. carltonh

carltonh Member

7. ROKY

ROKY Member

For modern rock(high gain I'm assuming ?) I've used:

Guitar: Ibanez Destroyer w/ Duncan 59's

Amp: Hiwatt 50(great EQ, tight bass w/ great mid and treble range)

Cab: 70's Marshall tall(36") vertically mounted 2x12 Lead/Organ cab

Speakers: Eminence Tonkers(sometimes mix in a Vintage 30..)

Gain Pedals: (2) 3-knob Menatone Foxy Browns stacked together - one
    set for medium crunch, one set as a huge boost to push the other into
    sustaining high gain while still maintaining the clarity and attack.

I discovered this stack quite by accident, and was amazed that they
    did this as well as they did, since I originally bought them as standalone
    low-medium gain OD/boosts.

- -
    If I set the Hiwatt up to be slightly scooped in the mids I can get some
    great Mesa-ish overdrive with this setup, & then kick in an HBE Germacide
    mid/treble booster to knock the mids back up into hi-gain Marshall-land.
    Otherwise the pedals thru the Hiwatt and cab/speakers have a massive
    attack for modern/alternative/ ? rock rhythms.

8. Matybigfro

Matybigfro Member

hey carlton your in the amp and cabs room for a reason this is more a questions about the amps than the effects

9. Matybigfro

Matybigfro Member

ditto
    amps people amps that nail hard/heavy/modren rock medium to high gain tones with pedals
    now knowing the pedals in nice
    but we all know its likely to be the rats,M'od's,Crunchtubeboxzones,emma and marshall pedals
    but what i want to jknow is the amp speaker setups that this really sounds good with and how the clean sound is set

10. carltonh

carltonh Member

Sorry, I misread the question. I think most clean amps that won't flub out with on the bass with high volume can work. The next part is making sure the speaker won't flub out, then the transformer, then the tubes, etc. A Tweed Deluxe is an example of one that would only work at low volumes, not above. A Vox AC30 with Alnico Blues is one that won't work too well because of the speakers, though change only one of them and you will likely be fine if 30 watts is enough.

I think the Micro Muff demo shows that even a 4x10 Bassman RI can work fine with the right pedal. One thing to avoid would be a clean amp that only had one tone knob along with a high gain pedal that only had one tone knob, just because of limited control.

11. ROKY

ROKY Member

W/ my Hiwatt the MV is wide open and the input Vol., according to the
    room.

LOUD AS HELL thru that oversized Marshall 2x12 w/ Emi Tonkers :worried

12. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  13. Benlevy

Benlevy Member

I'm using a 66ish Bassman with a Crunchbox for high gain. Works great. Just picked up a Bogner OS212, and now it's even better. This cab made a huge difference!

14. freaksho

freaksho Member

Here's one of the best demos I've heard of a pedal for heavy rock into a clean amp: Zvex Box of Rock. Designed around vintage Marshall but won't go into modern metal.

15. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Here's a clip I just recorded of my main gigging rig.

Gibson Les Paul R8 > Pedalboard > Fender Twin Reverb Reissue

Not THE best tones in the world, but very usable, inexpensive, and convenient.

16. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

nothing like a Rat through a Musicman HD130 or NMV 100 watt Marshall

17. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

++on the MI Audio Crunchbox. Sounds amazing into any amp.

18. TX6Strings

TX6Strings Member

You also might want to check out the T-Rex Bloody Mary. There are a couple of nice clips on youtube. I'll probably be picking one of these up next year after my wedding.

19. Matybigfro

Matybigfro Member

cheers for all the pedal tips but does no-one get that that talk belongs in the effect forum

cheers for those that are solidly waying in with amps that are giving them the sound they want

what amps would people say to avoid for the flubby bass reason
    what about the vox what do people reckon to that one clean with medium high gain distrotion pedals

lets keep focused on the amps lads

20. carltonh

carltonh Member

Depending on how loud you play, you might need to avoid all Fender amps with less tightness than a Bassman, and maybe even the Bassman. Avoid Tweed style amps except for Tweed Twins. I may actually be overestimating how much gain and volume you may need. I'm assuming you want to be able to pull off at least Metallica type heaviness authoritatively and at volume.

Just another good amp to try with pedals: THD Flexi. I also love my Pritchard as great for authoritative metal with a Metal Muff. On a budget, a used Carvin X100B with a pedal works great. About all Riveras work great (but most of them get 90% of the aggressive high gain without any pedals needed) but they have lots of variations of clean that can be set to match with any good pedal.