Heavier or lighter tuners to increase sustain?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Peeb, Aug 28, 2008.

Tuner weight/mass- what will improve sustain?

1. Heavier- more mass = more singing notes!

2. Lighter - it's thin to win!

3. Good question- I'll be watching this thread.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Peeb

Peeb Member

I am considering a tuner upgrade on my LP copy guitar. They are, of course, the 3-on-a-side gibson style tuners.

Would the weight (or design or anything else) of the tuners affect the sustain of the guitar?

Gracias to anyone who knows. Recommendations??

2. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

I've always heard that more mass = more sustain, but that has nothing to do with whether or not the tuners work correctly.
    Be that as it may, the Gotoh midsize 510's I got from StewMac were quite heavy, very smooth turning. I'm pleased with those and would put them on all of my 3-on-a-side guitars if I had the money.

3. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

This is debated and redebated constantly. If you have a free month, so read the threads on Hugeracksinc. I am on the side of more mass, but err on getting the best tuners.

4. Balok

Balok Member

I've changed from lite to heavy and the difference is extemely minimal at best- in fact I noticed no difference. Get some that look good.

5. Peeb

Peeb Member

I upgraded an epiphone jr. with some Wilkinson EZ-loks that seemed heavier and the sustain got better, but I upgraded the tailpiece at the same time (that's the source of another poll, however!).

6. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

It might help a tiny bit but honestly I would look for other ways to increase sustain.

7. Peeb

Peeb Member

Bone nut, perhaps.

What about the bridge/tailpiece?

8. VHS analog

VHS analog Member

A brass tailpiece will make a more noticable difference than tuners. You'll get more sustain and easier string bending. (We're talking subtle differences here), but your EQ curve will change ever so slightly. You'll lose some mid frequencies.

9. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I wouldn't waste my time, basically tuner issues represent a huge misnomer when people complain about guitars. You want to increase your sustain do this:

1. Make sure the guitar is intonated well.
    2. Check the stop tail piece, there will be a point where it will sustain more, lots of guys screw it all the way down to the body, see what works.
    3. Replace tail piece with an aluminum one, or possibly get a Tone Pros.
    4. Make sure your pu's are adjusted properly, there is a specific location where it will just sound better, you need to find it.
    5. Raise the action a bit, low string height can kill sustain.
    6. Make sure the nut is cut properly, this might be #1 in terms of problems with cheaper guitars.

Do all these things then see what happens, sorry I just cannot hang with the replace my tuners crowd. Of all the guitars I have owned over the years I have only replaces one tuner and that was because it was defective (had a broken cog).

10. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Is "Sustain" that desirable?
    When I upgrade tuners, I always go for reliability and solidity.
    Schallers or Grovers

11. Peeb

Peeb Member

For those of us who can't shred, slow melodic playing with sustaining notes is all we've got! :D