1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Heavy Electronics Ascend Boost?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bluegrif, May 24, 2011.

1. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

I'm in the market for a simple, transparent boost pedal. One that adds very little coloration, doesn't increase noise and hiss, and doesn't carry an enormous price tag. I've owned several boosts including some favorites like the RC Booster and the Durham SexDrive. But after owning and selling a number of them, I'm honestly not convinced their performance justifies the prices. In the end, all I'm after is a good, clean, quiet boost pedal. It doesn't need to have an EQ or an extra gain stage or built in compression, etc. With that in mind I'm considering the mass produced MXR Micro Amp. But I've seen these Ascend Boosts going for very reasonable prices on the used market and they seem to be fairly plentiful. Does anyone have experience with one? Would it meet my criteria? Other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

2. Benjam226

Benjam226 Member

3. Benjam226

Benjam226 Member

I would also be interested in anyone's experience with the Ascend. I was in the market for the CAE Boost/Line Driver when I came across this.

4. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

i have demoed one, and i really DUG it.

i would not consider it a "clean" boost -- it was more like a nice treble booster, and would add a significant amount of "hair" to the signal.

it's SUPERB at goosing the front end of a tube amp into glorious overdrive.

it was DAMN good -- on the level of the BJFe Red Rooster booster or the D*A*M Red Rooster - both of those are top of the line to my ears.

Heavy Electronics makes some really good sounding pedals, and have been flying under the radar for quite a while.

i would certainly give it a go if you have the chance to get one - even if you don't like it, you can probably get your $$$ back out of it pretty easily.

check my youtube channel if you wanna hear my demo of it!:YinYang